Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Canada Detecting information PLEASE..........

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    IT COULD BE A VALUABLE PRIZE "YOU NEVER KNOW"

Nov 2006
    N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
    ** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
    2654 times
    ANY TYPE OF TREASURE HUNTING THAT PUTS MONEY IN MY POCKET
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanMN View Post
    Part of my job the years prior to my retirement was trying to get our employees into Canada to temporarily work on our projects. I can tell you if you disclose even a DWI they will not let you in. Maybe your friends didn't disclose their offenses but the rules for vacation travel aren't different than work travel.
    Susan of course they did not disclose .No one even asked . And if they did just ask . They would just say not me .
    ".. Let no one know what , when , or where ..'

Charter Member
    us

Nov 2006
    N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
    2654 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View Post
    I see a direct correlation between this:

And this:
    Tom ..You sure did i never asked and so i was never bothered.
    Tom_in_CA likes this.

Charter Member
    us

Nov 2006
    N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
    2654 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 7red7 View Post
    There is no problem here so far in our city parks re Thunder Bay but Lake Superior shorelines on our side I have had a park attendant aproach me and was told i could not rock hound lookin 4 lk sup agate....now that was in Pukaskwa National Provincial Park. In the last few years the shoreline almost from here to Rossport is now considered a Marine Sanctuary. What new laws the CRONIES have cooked up I do not Know{ reminds me of reading about BLM ours Crown Land .So much for Agate Island. I have an old publication: Archaeological Conservation in Ontario, dated 1979 #ISBN 0-7743-4503-9 ....its old but our laws are old Also check out WWW. pc.gc.ca. it may help. .....You can go across the the border here and pic lake superior agate and metal detect on the public beaches, the people are great and cordial.
    7red7 .. Yes i also was up and hunted Thunder Bay area a few times ..nice area..

ca
    Feb 2017
    XP DEUS X terra 705 Fisher F2
    2902 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Don't worry too much,if the land is private then ask for permission otherwise just detect.
    Tom_in_CA and Keppy like this.

Jan 2019
    38 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Basically anything of value can be taken from you and you charged if gov. wants to pursuit it. In my area of Ontario (southwestern) everything is covered from HIstorical laws (all grounds and waterways in the wars of 1812) and the Indian wars / Native American settlements. Also included is about 200 years of mineral claims from large land owners with inheritance claims to modern oil drill companies to utility company easements and erca watershed/ wildlife lands. plus current native American reserves... warning they are not all obvious. some in my area are the size of a small farm. (but they should have notices posted)

Basically if you find anything of value or historical significance you committed a crime!

With that said, what experiences has people had? any bad run ins?

My house is 260 yrs old and I found a cannon ball in the walls (yes the Americans shot my house with a cannon in the war of 1812) and some arrow heads. I have them on display on my fireplace mantel along with a poison bottle from the 1900s, and a engineers gauge that sights the elevation of a cannon to aim at enemy. All found in my house! I had a building inspector over and he gave my a stink about them with some unlined threats of getting in trouble with the Historical committee. (as he was on it)

Other than that I've had little issues, but I am new to the metal detector hobby. But I do excavate and locate for a career and have found stuff this way. (nothing interesting other than some old beer bottles)
    Last edited by longtimedad; Jan 15, 2019 at 06:34 PM.
    sprailroad likes this.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    10020 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by longtimedad View Post
    .... In my area of Ontario (southwestern) everything is covered from HIstorical laws ..... Basically if you find anything of value or historical significance you committed a crime!....
    Got a link to this ? Me thinks something else is at play. Or you've gotten some purist archie's rant, etc... Because I'd venture to say that there is people in southwestern Ontario, who are md'ing no problem Yup, even finding old coins. Thus .... got a link to this prohibition that you're speaking of ? That reaches down to even private land, as you suggest ?

.... My house is 260 yrs old and I found a cannon ball in the walls (yes the Americans shot my house with a cannon in the war of 1812) and some arrow heads. I have them on display on my fireplace mantel along with a poison bottle from the 1900s, and a engineers gauge that sights the elevation of a cannon to aim at enemy. All found in my house! ...
    Wait, do you see the irony of this ? There is this "imminent threat" and "dire laws" which mean you "can't find anything". Yet you openly tell of old things you found and kept ! Ok, I'll bite: Did you get arrested ?

.... I had a building inspector over and he gave my a stink about them with some unlined threats of getting in trouble with the Historical committee. (as he was on it) ....
    BINGO ! Now it's coming into focus. You were talking to a Historical committee person. Who is, no doubt, in league with purist archie types who tend to serve on those museum boards. And sure, you can ALWAYS find some purist archie to spout dire things. They hate md'rs after all. But you have to ask yourself: Does anyone else, besides those 2 or 3, in a random survey of a million people around you, care less ? Of course not. (Barring, as I say, if you were snooping obvious off-limits sensitive sites) .

There's probably not a place on earth, where ...... if you kept asking long enough and hard enough, that you couldn't find someone who'll say "no". Just like if you asked a P.E.T.A. rep. if you can leave your pet bunny in the car while you run into 7-11 to get a soda: They would shreak "NO !". And spout off about animal cruelty laws. And about how your car can be confiscated. And the bunny can suffer in the hot car, etc... But seriously now: Did anyone else except that animal rights wacko care ? Of course not.

So too do you have to sort out some things said by some museum/archie types. Not sayin' to throw caution to the wind. But ... just sayin' not to over-think it.
    Keppy likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    sprailroad

Jan 2017
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800.
    2922 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Hmmmm…..we do have some Canadian members who detect, and they find some really good stuff. ??
    Keppy likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links