Treasure hunters birthday, Help!

NewhunterAJ

Tenderfoot
Feb 9, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Treasure net forum,

I am delighted that I have come across this forum, it brings me one step closer to finding my grandfather something special for his birthday. Let's start with a little about him. He was a tiler my trade and as far as I can remember, he has been treasure hunting (metal detecting) my whole life and a lot of his, and he loves it. My grandfather has all kinds of old coins, weapons, tools and random peace that he has found all over England.

As you guys can see in the title, it's his birthday coming up soon and I would love to get him something special but I have never gotten into metal detecting myself, so I'm not too sure where to start. I know that he keeps all his metal detectors in good condition and won't be needing/wanting any more of them, but maybe I am wrong? can you have too many? Then there is the clothing aspect because it is pretty cold in England most of the year, but, I was looking for something a little more personal. Who Knows? After searching my trusty site https://www.easyprices.com/f/Home/Result?searchWord=metal+detector there are few detectors and things on there but nothing I am looking for.

Really looking forward to chatting to you guys and hopefully getting some great ideas. This will be his 60th birthday this year so it's a big one. If you need more specific information just comment below and I will try to get that for you, anything to help you guys help me!!

MetalD.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:

kenstein

Sep 28, 2012
N.E. Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 , Pro pointer, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Wireless headphones, or shovel that is specifically for detecting, or a pinpointer, but he may already have these, just my thoughts. Cheers to you for considering his interests (beats a new necktie), and welcome to Treasurenet.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the forum NHAJ. I'm a grandfather turning 60 on April 7th, and I've been metal detecting since the 1970s. I would love to get a package from one of my grandchildren (oldest of my four is 17 now!), with a letter telling me that I inspired him/her, to get their own Tesoro Compadre, with a stock 8" coil, and go treasure hunting! There would be a photo of them with the metal detector and their very first find (an aluminum pulltab), signed "I love you Grandpa!" on the back. and as I looked into the envelope, the pulltab.

Yeah, I would love something like that. :skullflag:

Attachments

• beach 007.jpg
    beach 007.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 84

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think your budget and your grandpa's treasure hunting inventory would dictate what he might enjoy or need.
There are numerous items like books, diggers, Pin pointers, that can be purchased at reasonable prices.
A popular pin pointer is the GARRETT CARROT, a popular digger is the LESCHE DIGGER. You may have to do a little detective work as far as what he likes or has. Also, if you're stateside, I would recommend you call KellyCo. Good luck and happy birthday gramps.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The greatest gift you can give him might be to ask him if you could join him in a hunt (as 'fyrfftrl' indicated above).During the hunt, ask him many questions (when he isn't wearing ear phones). Show your interest--if only for a day. It will make his day (and yours) very memorable.

Don......

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
A copy of Karl von Mueller's Treasure Hunter's Manual #6.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
You might also try doing a bit of research in your area and trying to find a NEW place for him to detect...even with you if you wish. Just make sure you have permission. Lots of folks here can help guide you through the process. What part of England are you from? And how long till the big day?

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy a real Gold Nugget. Bury it; but remember where:tongue3:. Tell Grandad you had a dream. Spin yours and Grandad's life into the story. Take him and his detector there.

Edit: And Welcome to the best site in The World. Look around, you will never be bored here.

Last edited:

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is just a thought, He may have by now almost everything he needs, I don't know, but perhaps a subscription to" Western&Eastern Treasures" magazine? Although it seems a bit spendy for international orders, (60.00), again, just a thought. Western & Eastern Treasures Magazine

Last edited:

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Give him a hug. Men don't hug enough because of what others think. Then make the day all about him. Show interest and get his stories written down. He may not be that old but time does fly faster when we get up there in age. Take the time to Know him. Welcome to the forum. Good Luck and Happy Hunting

OP
OP
N

NewhunterAJ

Tenderfoot
Feb 9, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Loads of really great suggestions here guys!

I'm going to take all from above and place it into action! First, off I will do a little detective work to see what my grandfather has in terms of diggers, pinpointers etc and then see what angle I can get in from there. If this doesn't go to plan, I will be checking out his bookshelf and magazine stand to see what he's reading at the minute. Also, spending a day with him metal detecting is a great idea a little bit of family time! But hiding the gold nugget is very daring, haha and Knowing my luck he will have a place planned and ready to go detecting.

Got a lot to do and a few bits to get planned! I will be back here with the results soon!!

Thanks guys

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find out what detectors he has and if he would like to have a certain coil for one of them that he doesn't have.

OP
OP
N

NewhunterAJ

Tenderfoot
Feb 9, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will be going to visit him in a few hours to do a little detective work! Should be fun haha I will be back here a little later on with what i have found!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread