Poison what?

Bluezman

Apr 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage
Botany is not one of my strong points (unless the plant can either be eaten or smoked) so when I ran across this in my neighbors yard I was a little concerned. It appears to be a plant that was pointed out to me a long time ago and told to be weary of. Why wasn't I listening?

2007_0723Image0014.JPG

Bluezman

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not poison Ivy either....Has five leaves...watch out for the 3 leaf variety....Might even be a wild blackberry...

Attachments

• pestplantsblackberry.jpg
    pestplantsblackberry.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 333

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is not one of the big three. Poison Ivy, Oak, or Sumac. Looks like a common vine type not poisonous.

Ed D.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As Wildrider stated:

Virginia Creeper

virginia_creeper.jpg

It grows everywhere near my house... in Virginia...

DCMatt

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bluz,

Does the runners have stickers? Looks like dewberry to me. Related to the blackberry, but grows differently. I rather pick dewberries than blackberries...more plump & sweeter. That's just my opinion. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dewberry

I keep looking at the leaves in your pic and the others of the Virginia Creeper. I'm not going back out in the heat to double check. ;D

;) RR

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
Virginia creeper it is. The saying you are probably referring to is "Leaves of three, let it be."

Daryl

OP
OP
Bluezman

Bluezman

Apr 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
No stickers. Sure looks like it anyway. V.C. Sounds benign, so I hope that's what it is. I always thought Virgina Creeper was the one with the little blue trumpet shaped flowers and Ivy shaped leaves, though.

Does this mean that I can get naked and roll around in it? Or should I use a modicum of caution?

Bluezman

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
Well, if you do roll around naked in it, be sure to wear your rubbers!
Baggins

bean man

Sep 2, 2006
Central Iowa
It is Virginia Creeper, a type of Woodbine and cousin to the grape. It's berries are poisonous to humans, but not to birds. I have it growing on my waterfall, and everyone thinks it's poisonous.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you roll around in it it won't hurt you, but the ants, spiders, mosquitos, chiggers, etc that live on it might give you a hard time! Monty

OP
OP
Bluezman

Bluezman

Apr 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
I've been checking this stuff out , now that I know what it is.
Evidently, it's almost as bad as Poison Ivy. http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1695/ No rolling around.

I guess I'll have to wait 'till fall and try to remove as much of it as I can. Then hit it with round up next spring.

Even though it's my neighbors yard, I still take care of as much of it as I can. Her husband passed last year and she has a 14 yr. old son with autism, so I do what I can.

Thanks for the quick I.D.
Bluezman

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
It's not that bad. Even to roll around in:

Common Name(s): Virginia Creeper, Redtwig Creeper
Species: Parthenocissus quinquefolia
Synonyms:
Family: Vitaceae
Longevity: Perennial
Origin: Native
Height: 9 m
Flowers: May - July
Fruits: Fall
A high climbing or prostrate woody vine. Widespread on a variety of sites, usually climbing trees or trailing along forest floors. A potential ornamental because of its ability to climb walls and its striking red fall foliage. Although it is sometimes confused with Poison-ivy, Virginia-creeper has 5 to 6 leaflets and does not cause contact dermatitis. However, the fruit is reportedly poisonous and the plant tissues contain microscopic, needle-like crystals that can cause irritation. The fruit is eaten by squirrels and many species of birds.

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I get in it a lot in the woods (here in Va, how appropriate) and it doesn't bother me. But last year when I first started MDing and found out that notbeing alergic to poison ivy didn't mean I wasn't alergic to poison sumac, in doing a little research, found out that some people ARE alergic to VC. But not nearly as many as ivy, oak, and sumac. That was my first and hopefully last time with that. My forearms were so swollen my arm looked like a pregnant fish!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread