average age of detectorist

basssmann

Feb 9, 2013
YOUNGSVILLE, N.Y...... moved to Jacksonville, Flor
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
VIPER TRIDENT , Fisher F75 and just added a CTX 3030 Minelab and Minelab Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll be 68 this year, started when I was 38..... found 177 and 182 silver coins in the last 2 years, since full retirement..... over 1,050 silvers lifetime.... When I hit 100 years old, the young guys can take over..... basssmann

Haldean

Feb 11, 2019
Burlington NC
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What is the average age of us here on the forum?

Is detecting in the too hard basket for the computer generation?

I got my first detector (a Whites) I can't remember the model number in 1968. The housing was big and heavy and made of heavy steel like the 50'ties era cars. I gave it up for a while then started back again in the early eighties. This time I bought a used Garrett. That thing was a puzzle to use and ground balance. I then got a more modern Garrett Master Hunter with analog readout. I still have it. I gave it up for many years as my new job demanded a lot of my time and I had to travel some too. I recently retired a couple years back and decided I would like to take it up again. I will be 69 this year. This time I went with the AT Max. Can't do those all day hunts like I used to.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm 27. No one in my immediate friend circle (other than my brother) detects. I know of a few people in the greater city of Seattle who are under 40 and detect but that's it. Mostly 40s-70s I'd think.

I swear we always say we’re the same person. No one and I mean NO ONE that WAS in my immediate circle even thought remotely about metal detecting we we’re all fishermen and the taxman took away my fishing license. So after my 3 strike ($500) I bought a Bounty Hunter on Amazon ($50)on a late night buying bender. Well after digging trash for 2 months I waved the white flag and paid what “they” said I owed. That week I hit my first piece of silver and haven’t fished or seen my fishing buddies since that was six years ago. I fished just as hard as I detect 4 days a week. My friends still think I just lost my mind all over this silver spoon. IMG_2187.jpg

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think we must have a million years of experience between us all !

mhess22

Apr 24, 2007
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
White's Spectra V3i
White's Bullseye TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm 41, started when I was 7 with a Radio Shack model but got my first "real" detector when I was 16. It was a Garrett GTA 500 and I loved that thing!

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Just turned 48. Got my first Big heavy blue White's for my 13th B-day. Off and on since then....... I must admit, I'm on TNET 85% more than I get to hunt...lol

goober

Jun 2, 2013
sw lower mi
Detector(s) used
fisher 1260.yea its old.fisher 2 box. gold bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
off and on for 40+yrs.and 65 next month:)

rayoh

Jan 13, 2017
northeast Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac-Notka Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
65 years old in June. I have been detecting since 1996. I average about 100 times out a year and have had years of over 200 days detecting.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started detecting in 1965 and I will turn 65 in 2019.

Zep11in

Feb 22, 2019
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, Whites MX5, Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
49 yrs old and started when I was 12 with my grandpa and uncles

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I turned 63 last month. I have had both hips replaced, I have had prostate cancer, and have arthritis in my power middle back. Still, the Good Lord has blessed me through all this. I still feel pretty good most days. I am relatively pain free, and I am blessed not to be on any med'smed's (for the moment anyway). I take Aleve as needed. My biggest complaint is that I'm retired, but it seems my hunting time is very limited. Even though being retired I have other responsibilities. I just hit the woods when I can and make the most of it and enjoy it to the fullest. I started hunting in earnest back in 1981 and I still enjoy it as much now as I did back then.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
All you puppies here, I pray you all live LONG and STRONG. Keep this nation great.

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool handle there friend!

Sorry for the side note here to the thread, but.....
I agree. I was able to see them live in '73. Best concert I had ever seen and I saw quite a few. 6 hours of non-stop rock and roll 20 feet in front of the stage. I'll bet many artists today don't even know 3 hours worth of songs if they are even technically songs for some of them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread