The Dangers of Olive Oil for preserving finds

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
This isn't new news at all, but it's a good reminder to new detectorists that wish to become collectors.
Find preservation or restoration with olive is the funniest thing I've heard all day ; the olive oil only makes it taste better!

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Illumin - A Chemical Engineer's Guide to Cleaning Just About Anything

I haven't had a chance to look into this deep but it's not olive oil. Olive oil comes up often on the Cleaning and Preservation forum.
I don't know why. Most cleaning solutions on the forum are largely opinion w/o a professional analysis. If the thing gets shiny it must be good.
BTW my understanding is Italy is dumping below grade olive oil an the American market because Americans don't know any better. What's called Extra Virgin, isn't. The Italians keep the good stuff for themselves. A report on this was featured on TV but I don't remember if it was 60 minutes or not.
I've done taste tests on what I buy and the difference is evident. Don't go by fancy bottles or price. They are often the worse. Sometimes awful.
I still haven't settled on one best brand yet. At the prices I go slowly. Hard to beat peanut for all around uses.

treasuresalvor

Mar 14, 2011
Earth
Detector(s) used
A couple Sovereign's, Excalibur II, Eureka Gold, Falcon MD20, TM808, Sierra Madre, 5900 DIProsl, Garrett ADS III with Bloodhound, Fisher 1280x, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I haven't had a chance to look into this deep but it's not olive oil. Olive oil comes up often on the Cleaning and Preservation forum.
I don't know why. Most cleaning solutions on the forum are largely opinion w/o a professional analysis. If the thing gets shiny it must be good.
BTW my understanding is Italy is dumping below grade olive oil an the American market because Americans don't know any better. What's called Extra Virgin, isn't. The Italians keep the good stuff for themselves. A report on this was featured on TV but I don't remember if it was 60 minutes or not.
I've done taste tests on what I buy and the difference is evident. Don't go by fancy bottles or price. They are often the worse. Sometimes awful.
I still haven't settled on one best brand yet. At the prices I go slowly. Hard to beat peanut for all around uses.

I saw that too, way low grade olive oil and some wasn't even olive oil at all. That included many name brands. We only use avocado oil now, for eating, I don't oil coins.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did not know this, Thank you for sharing it. Always something to be learned from members on this Forum.

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Rydog, I'm saving this link for future use. I fell into the olive oil trap by reading a post about how it removes crud from brass buttons. I ended up with a black button as a result and was not able to reverse the darkening. Lesson learned the hard way.

I suspect that many folks have never tried the olive oil treatment but only pass the recommendation on because that is what they read in other posts. The most frequent ones I see are soaking crudded copper coins in olive oil.

If enough of us counter these incorrect recommendations we might have a chance of putting an old wives tale to bed.

Wonder if we can get an administrator to look at the link and consider making it a sticky in the cleaning and preservation forum?

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I took awhile for me to learn my lesson with olive oil, finally got it through my thick skull when I ruined an absolutely gorgeous AU 2-cent piece that I had dug. I could not reverse the darkening that the oil caused.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for the information. I use Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
I have noticed the difference in taste lately. My coin salad just ain't the same. Maybe I shouldn't clean the coins before tossing them into the salad,, lol

JimJ

Mar 24, 2016
Metz, WV
Detector(s) used
Ace 350, At Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you the information! Yep I used it on a couple of coins last year and couldn't understand why it did not live up to what some folks said was good advise! Luckily for me they were not worth anything but to me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread