Hard to find coins. Is it me or just the sand

Sweetsilver

Feb 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys... I have a whites treasure master pro and I find it hard to to find the coins in parks and yards like I do up north in the dirt. Why? Do coins sink deeper In the sand? Tried changing programs and still not getting many coins. Any help would be appreciated.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ground balance your machine sand is a different mineral make-up then dirt.After ground balancing you should be good to go.Your owners manual should tell you how.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome. It also depends on where you're looking and who's been detecting there already.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Drop a couple random coins in the sand, bury them 4-10", vary depth. Swing your coil, if you can find them, your machine is fine and you are just at some heavily hunted areas. If your machine is not seeing the coins,follow Back-of-the-boats advice. My guess is that there are not many good targets left. Every time I go to the beach I envision awesome hunts,but end up looking forward to heading back to dirt fishing back home where there are fewer detectorists.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always forget to take a minie ball to the horrible Virginia ground to balance my machine! Yes, testing with real live coins works.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone can metal detect at the beach, regardless of age or health. You need good knees and some arm strength to dig holes, especially in the woods. All you need for the beach is a sand scoop with a long handle. Just my take on it.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FreeBirdtim, you are exactly correct. you should see a couple of the bruises my shovel gave me today from a field.

OP
OP
S

Sweetsilver

Feb 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks PA dirt... You make a good point. Much better up there. I detect in PA as well. Not questioning my machine.. Works great but just wondering if sand has a different effect other than dirt. Has anyone had good luck in sand with the whites treasure master pro. Not salt water. Trying not to buy the deus.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy a Deus. Mine paid for itself in 68 days. Two main items, plus a lot of others. Biggie was an 18k engagement ring with a diamond on high sand at the beach. BTW, do not skip the high sand. All my gold has been found high and dry. Ocean will sometimes toss it up high and sometimes its lost by people getting ready to go down to the water where they won't lose anything, and then on Saturday dug a colonial period cross belt plate in brass. Check out the post on that one.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, coins/rings can and do sink in sand more so that dirt for obvious reasons - But you can still find things from the surface to 10" just like in the ground.

Could be, as pointed out, that either the areas you checked are hunted out, of people simply have not dropped anything there.
If its a big beach then there are always areas that are not hit, if its small every square foot may have been gone over multiple times.

mooncusser

Sep 1, 2016
salisbury maryland
Detector(s) used
garret a/t pro whites v3i whites treasure pro
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
the treasure pro is great to me at the park but in my opinion struggles at the beach.....i use the a/t pro when iam on the beach

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread