CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use naval jelly on gold gilt buttons and it works great. Doesn't work as good on aluminum tokens, though. Shines them up, but it doesn't do anything for the pitting on them.

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Doesn't work as good on aluminum tokens, though. Shines them up, but it doesn't do anything for the pitting on them.
Interesting - what does aluminum jelly do for pitting? I have a good many nice tokens that are lightly to moderately pitted.....

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
If it gets rid of pits it's also getting rid of metal' Make sure that's what you really want to do.

Palmetto Pony

Aug 21, 2016
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus /Teknetics T2 Classic/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The naval jelly is slightly more corrosive due to a higher percentage of phosphoric and sulfuric acids. I know the MSDS has the same amounts listed, but if you'll notice it's listed as a percentage range (10-30% for phosphoric and 0.1-1% sulfuric). The range is to help protect their exact formulas. If you need to prove it to yourself try litmus paper on each and you'll see the differences. To me the aluminum jelly also seems to have a thinner consistency.

The full name of the aluminum jelly is Loctite Aluminum Jelly Cleaner and Brightener. I couldn't find ANY in my area so a local Tru Value hardware store said they could order it. When they tried they were advised it was being discontinued so they refunded my money and I went looking elsewhere. I ended up finding a vendor on Ebay so I ordered two bottles.

I used it on a gold gilt general service button and it brought out gilt I couldn't even see originally. It also took of the green corrosion quickly.

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The naval jelly is slightly more corrosive due to a higher percentage of phosphoric and sulfuric acids. I know the MSDS has the same amounts listed, but if you'll notice it's listed as a percentage range (10-30% for phosphoric and 0.1-1% sulfuric). The range is to help protect their exact formulas. If you need to prove it to yourself try litmus paper on each and you'll see the differences. To me the aluminum jelly also seems to have a thinner consistency.

The full name of the aluminum jelly is Loctite Aluminum Jelly Cleaner and Brightener. I couldn't find ANY in my area so a local Tru Value hardware store said they could order it. When they tried they were advised it was being discontinued so they refunded my money and I went looking elsewhere. I ended up finding a vendor on Ebay so I ordered two bottles.

I used it on a gold gilt general service button and it brought out gilt I couldn't even see originally. It also took of the green corrosion quickly.
Yeah I've noticed it seems to be hard to find...how does ammonia do? I've seen that mentioned from time to time too

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I originally used Naval Jelly years ago to remove rust stains from parts on my motorcycle. It worked well, especially on my chrome parts. Buying and using Naval Jelly is a lot cheaper than replacing chrome parts.

dlupo

Feb 7, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just found an unopened bottle of the original Duro Aluminum Jelly (blue bottle, white cap) if anyone's interested. Curious if it's still any good.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread