Just and idea.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I would surmise that you are volunteering to be the first paid expert?

OP
OP
B

bloovey

Feb 16, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no Im not an expert but I would like the services to help me identify and value all the interesting things I find.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
no Im not an expert but I would like the services to help me identify and value all the interesting things I find.

Post some, let's have a look. (it's free)

OP
OP
B

bloovey

Feb 16, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a large collection but my most interesting find is something what the museum identified as "Oxidized Copper with Quartz Dome".. I just wanted to know how much its worth. I posted it earlier on "whats it worth. 20160905_185318_resized-2.jpg

CTwoods

Dec 9, 2015
east central Connecticut
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No offence but I think it's a poor idea.

Appraisals really mean nothing on many things that are dug. Sure, there are some things like a gold coin that can be looked up for "recent sales", or other coins that have no soil damage, but how does one put a real selling price on most of what is shown on here?

As far as "paying"? I sure don't see that ever working. Who would pay? Nobody is my guess?

Why would one want to see this "what is it" forum, to be paid only? Most people who like that forum, and volunteer their research time, will leave. Would you blame them?

I'd rather have an "army" of folks from here adding their opinions, rather than have one person give an opinion, that darn well could be wrong.

OP
OP
B

bloovey

Feb 16, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That makes a lot of sense. I agree with you.

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
Not to mention, it's usually pretty tough to identify or give a value without actually holding the item in your hands.

OP
OP
B

bloovey

Feb 16, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you guys are right, my bad!:BangHead:

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I've had professional estimates from $20/item to $250/item. The range is huge and w/o actually seeing the object and it's condition a real dollar figure would be difficult. Then you have the "comp issue. Comparative pricing has to come from somewhere unless the object is known to the estimator. And don't say Ebay. The item has to be viewed by as many people as possible and those people need to be knowledgeable enough to be of any value. With Ebay at times there will be so few bidders and who knows what they know. and how bad they want it.

I have a book on collectable baskets. In the book there are dollar values and they are all from the collection of one person. Then I see the collection values are the same person that wrote the book. Kinda of stacking the deck.
An objects value is what anyone will pay at the time. That's it.
Some things are easy like an ounce of gold as the value is a commodity. Or a Colt 45 from the 1800's because the comps are out there. If there are no values established how will anyone know?
When I've taken things to auction I am sometimes surprised on how much and how little something went for.
No, I wouldn't pay for a drive by estimate on anything.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread