Garrett 400i vs BT Land Ranger Pro

gyro

Feb 18, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone, I'm new to the site and have been doing research to buy my very first metal detector. Was planning to get the Garrett 400i but then read that the Garret 400i doesn't have a manual ground balance. Found the BT Land Ranger Pro which has manual ground balance and is cheaper but some hate the control panel buttons.
Has anyone used both and have any recommendations for the Garrett 400i, BT Land Ranger Pro, or another one in that price range? I live in Toronto, Canada so not sure if my soil is highly mineralized or not.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks a lot.
Gyro

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had and used the BH land ranger pro and really liked that it was very light weight and has features that come stock on higher end machines. It's the best bang for the buck in my opinion. I like the sound of the BH over the Garrett Ace series. The Bong tones of the Garrett's turns me off. You might want to watch some of TheHunterGTs video reviews concerning these 2 machines.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both and I am very disappointed with the 400 for several reasons, all of which are not a problem with the LRP. The ground balance feature is a big plus allowing the LRP to be used in a greater range of soils effectively.

OP
OP
G

gyro

Feb 18, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys for the helpful responses. Bowwinkles apart from the manual GB and lack of volume control, what else did you not like ab the 400i?

I have both and I am very disappointed with the 400 for several reasons, all of which are not a problem with the LRP. The ground balance feature is a big plus allowing the LRP to be used in a greater range of soils effectively.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TNet gyro! A detector with a strong ground balance would be my choice so I prefer the LRP.
Good luck with your choices.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys for the helpful responses. Bowwinkles apart from the manual GB and lack of volume control, what else did you not like ab the 400i?

First off it came with a big heavy coil and the detector has a youth sized shaft and cuff, which makes it nose heavy to use any length of time. Then there is the discrimination set up. It is set up in blocks of numbers and lets say you have a foil problem and want to discriminate it out, when you do that, you also remove the numbers covering much of the gold and some coins. I bought a smaller coil and tried hard to gain some respect for the 400 but the more I used it the more I disliked it. Once I began to use it without discrimination I did how ever find two small gold rings. The ground balance is what kills most of everything. You have to run much lower sensitivity which kills the depth in those areas with rough soil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread