How Did You Get Started?

Feb 15, 2017
Idaho
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey, Everyone!
When I was a kid, I started coin collecting on my own. I didn't have a mentor to guide me, only a few magazines and if I was lucky, my parents would take me to a pawn shop where I could ask a few questions. There was no internet that I could reach out and grab the answers to my specific questions and drilling them out of the library was frustrating because they never seemed to have the info I was looking for. Remember those things, libraries? Anyway, now that I'm in my 30's with my own family, I've dug out the old collection and started back into it. But, I can't help thinking that I might have missed some crutial sign posts along the way. So, in the interesets of learning and teaching, I was hoping you would share your own experiances that I might find more numismatic enlightenment.

Thank you for sharing,
~Matthew :hello:

bloovey

Feb 16, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In January 2013 I saw small fireball fall from the sky and land right beside me and since then Ive been searching for anything valuable that nature produces. I am addicted to the hunt for the unknown!

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
3 years ago I fishing maniac me and my friends would meet up 4 times a week and fish for years. I was going to war with the IRS and they took my fishing license away. I waved the white flag. In the meantime without fishing I bought a cheap bounty hunter. Then after two months with my addictive personality I bought me a ATP. Well I got my fishing license but I noticed I wasn't fishing as much and so did my friends. They knew something was wrong and thought I lost my mind and then I found an 1829 Spanish Mexican 8 Reales I haven't seen them cents. I am a MD'ing maniac chasing that 1800's Silver/Gold Rush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the 80's, after reading some Treasure Magazines. Back in the hobby in 2007 after a burglar took off with all my good jewelry, I decided to start detecting and find myself replacement jewelry. It has worked out very well.

USMC Reaper

May 23, 2015
Abbeville, S.C.
Detector(s) used
MineLab CTX 3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bourbon and my .45 on my desk staring at me. I had to find another path. And I did, 2 years ago.

Stay Motivated

Last edited:

Nicksan

Nov 17, 2005
So. Cal.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Stock and 6" coils
Whites M6 & MXT, Super 12 & 6x8 Detech coils
Miccus Bluetooth headphones & Ratphones
Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I walked into a local prospecting shop maybe (1989/90) to buy a pan and sifter, saw a bunch of metal detectors hanging on the wall and got curious, talked with the guy at the counter, bought a few magazines and a few weeks later picked up a whites 5900.

kha924

Jan 29, 2017
NWPA 814
Detector(s) used
LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My story is very similar to Truth's me and a buddy who used to fish just about every day together went and bought a couple metal detectors for the slow days of fishing and when hunting season wasn't in. I do feel MD'ing is very similar to fishing swinging around something all day looking for a bite....

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found out a guy at work was into treasure hunting, so I went with him once and was hooked, I now own 4 minelabs, 1 whites, 1 Garrett, and a few others, I also own a Keene dredge that I would use before the tree huggers had it banned. I also hit the garage, yard, estate sales in my area.

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Was visiting family who took me to their friend's spring in central Fla. The friend told me that a guest had lost a $5000 ruby ring in the spring. Since I was a scuba diver I asked if I could look for it and was granted permission. KellyCo was about 30 minutes away so my folks staked me with a 2nd hand Fisher 1280X Aquanaut that I could repay with my finds and I scuba dived that spring. I paid for over half the cost with my first dive there, I found a couple gold rings, a heavy 14ct gold men's bracelet and some ate up mercury dimes but no ruby ring. Dry land detected around the spring and dug a lot of 1940s coins and boy scout stuff. I was hooked after that. Took the detector back to Beaufort SC where I was stationed and fell in with another fellow who was a relic digger. He ended up being my mentor and a great friend (he retired in Va. and I lost touch with him as he does not do much internet). I relic detected with that 1280X hip mounted and was a mess with two cords tangling up in bushes and vines but had a great time hunting with him. Dug my avatar button with it. Passed the 1280X onto my daughter as I have cycled through half a dozen machines to what I have today. Got stationed in New Orleans and fell in with another digger who was a bottle digger who mentored me as well, so I was lucky to have rec'd not one shortcut but two to the hobby of being a digger. Ended up retiring back in Beaufort where my relic days started and have been digging ever since.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i got into it back about 10 years ago when my wife and I was visiting her family in Ohio,my wife's family lived in a house that was built in 1889 and while we were there for a month visiting I went to a dealer in that area and purchased a beginners detector and spent almost the whole time we were there detecting their yard i just knew there had to be a cache hid some where on that property LOL found a lot of clad coins and a few silver dimes but never did locate the cache

bigtimedeal

Feb 3, 2011
FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've suffered from mental illness since childhood. One day I watched an episode of the show "Monk" that was about a modern day gold mine. It inspired me to do some research about the reality of modern prospecting. When I learned that most prospectors of the gold rush days went broke while the suppliers were the ones that actually made money, I thought I'd spend thousands. And I did.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I see by your "handle", that you do Coin Roll Hunting..., hoping to find older coins amongst the modern, right?
Good luck! I think there is a section of devotees in this forum, so check them out, they can give you help.
As far as finding older coins "the hard way", metal detecting..., that's more fun, try it!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I really don't remember, but I knew two things when in was 10 (1972). Wanted a metal detector (Jetco Mustang, '72) and my first car would be a '57 Chevy (1978).

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1970,, in the USN. I was reading a treasure magazine and decided to purchase a cheap mail order beep and dig unit. Wish I still had it. (For sentimental reasons). Stumbled around with it periodically, and eventually bought a Garrett AT4. I still have it.
Times and technology have changed. Silver is harder to find. The machines are much better. Every outing is still enjoyed.
Been a long trip. Retired and hitting it 2 or 3 times a week.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Started looking for treasure when I was 6 or 7. Would shove my hand in the couch cushions looking for change. Not uncommon to find silver back then. As I got older perhaps 9 or 10 I would find plenty of treasure with my brother as we biked around. If one of us saw treasure before the other, you could claim it by sight by yelling “dibbs” “I saw it first!". Didn’t always work for my brother, I being the faster of the two. Sometimes we would bring our stuff to the trading post to sell or trade. This was in Southern Florida.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just like dirt. I like to dig holes and metal detecting gives me the excuse i need. I think i was a Gopher in a past life!

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was 6 or 7 my dad brought home a new detector, to go nugget hunting with, and to hunt parks and schools -- I quickly became fascinated, and went out all the time. I stepped away in my teen and 20's, as I was racing motocross and just didn't have time, then got married and work kept me busy, but then precious metals started picking up in price, and gold was once again on everyone's mind, so I bought a Whites GMT and a Garrett ACE-350, as it had just come out and then between the two detectors I quickly remembered just how much fun metal detecting is, and have been full-tilt ever since.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread