Today's Finds! forum question

paulb104

Feb 7, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About the Today's Finds! forum...

When my wife's dad passed, she and I were tasked to go through his rather unique collection of antiques, stuff that he's been acquiring since the 1960's.

My wife and didn't pay for it, we didn't dig for it, we didn't trade for it, we didn't dive for it. I completely respect the people who do that. (I have metal detector of my own but my injuries don't let me use it anymore. I can't hold it to use it and I certainly cannot bend to dig.) The stuff we have is in storage, and we just rummage through it everything every so often, cleaning, sorting, and organizing. We pull some stuff out to try to identify it. Some stuff we try and sell, and the money goes to mom. Some stuff, if it has a family name, we try to locate the family. We'll either outright give it or sell it at a significant lower price.

Would it be ok for me to post some items that we find that I thought were really neat in the Today's Finds! forum, to share? Is that the wrong place?
Maybe My Best Finds! would be better?

I absolutely and certainly do NOT want to brag. That's totally not me, but I do know that there are people who who, I think, would appreciate this stuff and I'd like to give the opportunity for others to see it. Her dad would have loved this forum.

As I said (or I think I did...) in my very first post, I've been reading treasurenet.com for a long time. I'd like to give back.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome and Thank you for Asking !

I believe from how you Described things Collectors Forums would be the place
more Suitable

OP
OP
paulb104

paulb104

Feb 7, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome and Thank you for Asking !

I believe from how you Described things Collectors Forums would be the place
more Suitable

I had considered that. But under their sub descriptions, it refers to showing off your favorite collections. I don't really have a collection. My father-in-law didn't have a specific collection, really either. It was just stuff. From Napoleonic era military uniforms to art deco medals. Cast iron door stops to ancient roman currency. It really ran the gamut.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had considered that. But under their sub descriptions, it refers to showing off your favorite collections. I don't really have a collection. My father-in-law didn't have a specific collection, really either. It was just stuff. From Napoleonic era military uniforms to art deco medals. Cast iron door stops to ancient roman currency. It really ran the gamut.

Well I would say it sounds like a Collection to Me :tongue3:

and other then just sharing in general discussion,
as you pull it out. or what is it or What is it worth if you don't Know
it's the closest to your description i can suggest

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

You are splitting hairs here. It is a collection of various things, no?

Post it up.

OP
OP
paulb104

paulb104

Feb 7, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are splitting hairs here. It is a collection of various things, no?

Post it up.

Well, maybe I am splitting hairs, I don't know. It's just that I don't want to do the wrong thing and be told so after the fact.

I'd like to know the right thing to do and the right way to do it BEFORE it happens.

But, to say it's "various things" is truly a gross understatement. A collection is typically a grouping of items of a related theme. The only way to call this a collection is because a single person owned it. There's no rhyme or reason to the scope of variety. He had a Stradivarius and civil war tokens. Baseball cards and old krugerrands.

Last edited:

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I for one would like to look at his treasures. Post away!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there is also this.
You can't offer them for sale because your Not a charter member.
But you can still post and Discuss here if there is a Post new Topic option :laughing7:
Antiques & Collectibles

Last edited:
OP
OP
paulb104

paulb104

Feb 7, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't offer them for sale because your Not a charter member.

You know, I've looked a number of times through this site for a list of different levels of membership.

Clearly Charter is paid membership.

I'm Junior 'cause I'm new, but you're Gold, and WarBaby is Full.

Where's the list that explains all these designations?

DannyB.

Jan 20, 2015
Washington/Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Silver UMax
Fisher 1265x
Fisher F75 SE LTD
Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hurry and post already! I wanna see what you got!

OP
OP
paulb104

paulb104

Feb 7, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hurry and post already! I wanna see what you got!

lol :) I actually already have, but not in the way I described in my original post in this thread.

For instance, there's this Phoenix button I shared a little while ago
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...res-any-info-wouldbe-great-2.html#post5303419

Then there's these other things that I've been working on, trying to figure out what they're worth, or simply what they are:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what-s-worth/531632-versailles-postcard-book.html

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/529940-large-plaque-any-idea-who.html

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/530437-weird-asian-nesting-box.html

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/530089-small-austrian-german-plaque.html

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread