Ever find anything good in a site with fill dirt?

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got permission to hunt an 1882 farm house. The owner came out about a half hour into the hunt and mentioned the yard was mostly fill. I figure there has to be some good stuff from other older yards in some fill. Just wondering if anyone has ever found anything notable in these conditions.....or is it just a waste of time?

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indian Head cent.

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know. It's still an 1882 farm site. Would be hard just to give up on it. I'm hunting a farm site, and have been told they were alway's bringing in fill. Although a bummer, I did find my oldest coin there. 1835 LC. Where there's one there's probably more, just take's more time to find them. I pay more attention to the iffy signals if ya know what I mean. Good Luck!!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy scout badges. They leveled out an area of a camp. Otherwise, nothing.

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought I was in an old sunken road bed and found my first 1800's coin , a really nice 1889 IHP. After talking to the landowner, they told me it was not an old roadbed but where they had put in a water line several years ago. Guess it was dug up with the dirt from the trench.

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will never know the age of the fill dirt until you get out there. Hopefully its from the old carnival grounds or rodeo! I love old fill dirt. Hope you show some good pics:)

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
the odds of fill-dirt containing any good, is slim to none. Unless you knew that the fill-dirt was coming from some place that had some sort of history. So I avoid fill dirt areas.

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found a handful of modern clad so far. The homeowner seems kind of sketchy about the fill story. He did give me permission to hunt, but also has a whites spectrum he swung around the house. He's 83 and you can tell he's in no shape to get down and dig anymore. Eh, I'll comb through it some and see what happens. I will report back with any finds.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1900 Barber half in fill for a general purpose playfield next to a school. Old eastern small coal mining town.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread