Thepiratestumpy

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2017
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites VX II, Keene 4" 3stage dredge, Keene highbanker, custom 20' trommel
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello,? I am new to any mining or treasure forum but I am having trouble figuring out a deposit on my land. I am in NC in Moore county and I am finding gold ind small quantities literally everywhere I dig on our 50 acres. I am sure it's gold, no question there, but as I learn about geology I am realizing that this is a very complex situation. I sit at the connection of two smaller faults, and I am finding gold in the low lying areas as well as on the highest hills on my land, which are the second highest in the area. The gold gets slightly bigger up the hills but I am pulling ore with SOME visible gold from the creek in the bottom. This ore can be as large as 7" across. I believe the bottoms used to be underwater but I am not sure if the nature of the water because the ocean apparently used to come all the way to about 20 miles from my location. Because of all this I believe it is a combination eluvial/alluvial deposit. My issue is that up until a couple months ago all I did was dredge placer deposits in a creek about 3 miles through the woods. I am just not sure if finding gold everywhere in the top 8ft of dirt is normal for this type of depsit or should I test until I find a better spot. I feel like I just need to go deeper but I hit some kind of rock (a gritty grey stone with very small particles that I think is tuff) between 3 and 8ft down. I can break it with my backhoe most of the time but I can't decide if it's some kind of cap and there is better dirt below it or if I'm just digging a type of softer bedrock. The older mines in the area found gold in quartz veins associated with tuff. The used both shafts and open cuts usually about 30deep by 12 wide by 30 long. The land has been farmed so any outcropping has been removed long ago so I am having a hard time zeroing in on the source. I am kind of hoping to just get some ideas thrown around so I can continue to investigate with fresh perspectives. Thanks for all your help in advance!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: North Carolina for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

OP
OP
T

Thepiratestumpy

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2017
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks! I wasn't really sure if I should post in general discussion or nc specific posts. Please do correct me if I do something wrong. I'm still trying to learn the workings of an online forum. Thanks again!

OP
OP
T

Thepiratestumpy

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2017
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This has been reposted in the NC sub forum.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread