What was the first treasure you found hunting that got you hooked?

Feb 15, 2017
Idaho
Primary Interest:
Other
For me, I was dabbling in some coin roll hunting of pennies. Just a box or so every month. But, one day I peeled back the paper and saw a band of tarnished gray that is unmistakable. Silver! And I mean real silver, not just a clad dime that got mixed into the penny roll. I lifted it out by the edges and saw something I'd never seen before. I had to look it up on line to find out that I had a Mexican 20 Centavos piece from 1928! It was beautiful, I was hooked! Ever since then I've been doing a box of pennies a week!

Looking forward to hearing your stories,
~Matthew

turkeyinstrut

Jul 18, 2016
St. Marys WV
Detector(s) used
Whites VX3, Whites V3I, four Eagle II SL 90's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the early eighties I was living in Florida and the girl I was dating at the times mom had lost her class ring from nursing school several years earlier while she was hanging up clothes on the line, she ask me if I thought I could find it if she borrowed a metal detector off a friend. Well I had never used a metal detector before in my life but I said I would give it a try and probably in less than ten minutes I had it in my hand, needless to say she was thrilled and I was HOOKED.....LOL......I have metal detected ever since but I will say that class ring was my most meaningful find EVER....if you could have just seen the smile on her face.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
back about 8-9 years ago maybe 10 my wife and I were visiting her family in Ohio they lived in a old house that was built in 1889 got to talking to some of their neighbors and found out some history on the property found out that it was one of the first two houses built in that area way back then all the other homes around them except for the other home that was built around the same time as theirs was built in the 1900s. we were there about two months visiting so I went to a local dealer in that area and talked to them and purchased a kind of beginners detector and I cant even recall what the name or brand was at the time and detected that whole property they had approximately 1 1/2 acres I spent almost the whole time detecting that property found a few silver dimes and clad coins and some other neat things but I always had a feeling there was a cache hid some where on that property some of the history I found out about it was there was two bank robbers arrested in it and the loot was never recovered that they stole but unfortunately I never did find the cache just wasn't meant for me to find LOL but that's how I got started.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
The "cache" I found at an old school when I started metal detecting, a pocket spill containing a 1904 Barber Dime, 1919 Buffalo Nickel, 1920 Wheat Cent. I found it a week after I got my metal detector, after a week of nothing. The rest of that year yielded only a few wheat pennies lol. I did find tons of old bottles bottle digging later that year.

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Bounty Hunter Platinum (back up)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've always found "treasure" of some type or another my entire life. As a kid I was fascinated by finding things in the old barn where I grew up. Old tools, bottles, machinery, if it was dusty, rusty, or busted, I had to know about it. Later on, treasure became cars that were not running and I would buy them cheap and drive them for awhile then sell them, and later on, I would breathe life back into discarded computers.

I borrowed a Tracker IV from one of sons freinds and started detecting around my home that was built in 1910. One of the coolest items was a really old cast car. I could imagine the boy playing with it and his mom or dad yelling at him to get in the house already! and the car got left in the dirt for me to find some 60 years later.

I upgraded my detector a few times, and have access to family property that was established in the early 1800s. I found an 1862 map of the property that shows a mine with a cabin nearby, a cabin that I heard about as a kid growing up and those areas have been the main detecting area. My buddy Dave and I have pulled all sorts of things out of the ground: Tombac and other ornate buttons, broken shoe buckles from the 1780s, car parts, shotgun brass, unidentified iron objects, miner tags, tools, bullets, and coins. So far the coin count is an 1864 IHP, a large cent, a 1904 dime, an 1874 IHP, then a 1904 IHP. Dave pulled an 1889 IHP and the find of the property was an 1878 Morgan dollar!

I plan on working my way closer to the farmhouse where I hope to uncover a cache of coins and my mothers class ring that was lost in the yard where my grandpap had a really big garden.

May you all have good digging and happy hunting!

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine was a fired 69cal miniball. Had only been hunting for a few weeks and this was my first hunt on a CW site. I'll never forget it, carried it around for a week. Two weeks later I found an eagle button at the same site, and my hands were shaking so bad I could hardly hold on to it. I've been addicted every since.

HH, RN

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What truly hooked me was finding wheat pennies and old silver coins in my change growing up, starting metal detecting later in life a few years ago. Found nothing but an indian head penny and a few other simple relics until i traveled to long island to detect. The moment I popped a coin I had never seen or heard of before(1802 1 duit) I was thrown full speed into treasure hunting, then a few fancy flat buttons secured the deal. Since then I feel like the addiction has taken root forever....

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually, there was one thing at the end of my first year metal detecting, during the same time I did bottle digging, that got me very hooked on finding colonial finds. A colonial dandy button, I found in the woods next to a parking lot of a school lol! I thought it was modern, maybe made in Japan in the 1950's. It wasn't unto research when I got home I found out how old it was. There was no turning back after I found that, the year after that I pulled maybe 30 colonial buttons, and a nice amount of coppers.

I'm Hoping

Feb 19, 2017
Ft.Myers, FL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first day, 15lb. dumbell then some change. Still finding some junk but I'm hooked!!!!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
1794 Liberty Cap. I didn't even know what I had. Before that all I had was wheats - was only detecting a week;)

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got a bounty hunter for my birthday, and at first all I found was rusty nails. Once I figured how to use the discrimination feature I had more luck. I found clad coins, an old oil lamp burner, and a pocket knife. One day I decided to detect my whole yard to see what I could find. On the second day of doing this I was down by my driveway, which was the old road dating to the mid-1700s, and I dug a large copper. I washed it off and found out it was a 1787 Connecticut state copper! I was hooked after the moment I saw "1787" on that coin. This was my best find of 2016 and in my opinion my best find still!

SweepNbeep

Mar 3, 2017
The North Star State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Other
1881 Indian head cent you see to your left. I dug it on the farm where my wife grew up. I found it about a month after I got my first detector, and that was less than a year ago. Only a penny, but I'll never forget wiping off the dirt to reveal its date. Hooked me for life.

cruiserkev

Jan 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Found a 1925 SLQ while helping my Dad dig a trench in our backyard. It was the Summer of 1980 and I was 10 years old. I got my first detector a few months later. Sad thing is the quarter most likely ended up in a Asteroids arcade game up the street as I was too young and dumb to know what I had. Regretted that for years now.... no 5 minute video game is worth a silver. :sadsmiley:

SweepNbeep

Mar 3, 2017
The North Star State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Other
Found a 1925 SLQ while helping my Dad dig a trench in our backyard. It was the Summer of 1980 and I was 10 years old. I got my first detector a few months later. Sad thing is the quarter most likely ended up in a Asteroids arcade game up the street as I was too young and dumb to know what I had. Regretted that for years now.... no 5 minute video game is worth a silver. :sadsmiley:

I can relate. My Grandmother used to give us kids coins as presents in our birthday cards. We were too young to care, and I know I lost most of them. I wish I could have em' back, but they're gone. Hopefully whoever found them appreciated them more than I did, and has them in a nice collection.

Last edited:

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is what got me started, I found it when I was 5 years old living in post war Japan.

20170305_122328.jpg 20170305_122328.jpg

Attachments

• 20170305_122345.jpg
    20170305_122345.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 94

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I lost my wedding ring while gardening in the back yard (for the second time). The first time it slipped off my finger I found it six months later by eyesight sitting on a little dirt hill.
The second time I lost it, I went and purchased an at pro and found it in the grass in about 5 minutes. It had been out there for about 11 months at about 2" in the grass.
So did I learn my lesson? No...
I lost it for the third time while retrieving arrows out of the bushes and still haven't been able to locate it. Lol!

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indian head pennies are my favorite coin design. Here in north central Illinois the rich black soil gives them a wonderful deep jade green patina. I just love the design of the Indian in full head dress. Beautiful avatar there. Peace.

Reiser

Greenie
Aug 5, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1488762148.778558.jpg . Model T Ford wooden spoked rim with valve stem still attached.

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably when I first started metal detecting with my dad as a kid... I remember we were out gold panning and metal detecting for gold, and I took my dad's detector over to the side of a wash and got a faint signal and my dad said to dig it, as it might be a gold nugget -- I did, and it was. It wasn't large, but I was impressed enough to want to find more...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread