WHAT ARE YOU DIGGING COINS WITH ?

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use my Lesche tool, unless the signal is 4 inches or closer to the surface, then I pop it out with a screwdriver, as if you've been doing it for a while it's much faster than anything else, and you won't ever touch the item, as you're under it, using it to push the dirt under the item up.

I basically grew up metal detecting, starting around age 7-8, and while I got away from it in my 20's, racing motorcycles when I got back into MD'ing I found that my old screwdriver skills hadn't left me, but certainly love my Lesche tool. I have most of what the great Karl Von Mueller wrote in my library -- it should be mandatory reading. I am wondering if the digging tool he was talking about wasn't more like a trowel or other small shovel-like tool -- not something you could cut a good clean plug with like most of today's digging tools.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Read the thread, It kind of sounds like Karl Von Mueller is a bit preposterous and very pretentious himself. Although it has been pointed out that it was written over 40 years ago, soooo....... What I'm thinking of using to dig with is this, Working out a deal to borrow/rent one of the little neighborhood kids, say about 4' tall?, (low to the ground), tether him/her to my belt, I point, they dig. And of course I'll feed it. Anyone try that method? Sure would save getting down & then up again 500 times.

Last edited:

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
against the wind, I didn't hear any MOOOO's, or did I??? But in getting back to subject, I did remember a friends' father-in-law who used to detect back in the late 70s and early 80s would carry a Ka-Bar or similar type knife to use to cut plugs and items out. He and several co-workers worked on a mall near northern VA and after work when the bulldozers shut down, they would detect the plowed dirt and piles and come out with bullets, buckles, some coins, etc. Some good shape some not. But they all carried the knives if I recalled, maybe that was just that group.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use a Raptor 25C or an automotive gasket scraper tool to extract coins from parks, manicured lawns and sensitive areas. :icon_thumleft:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be professional.

No watering being done in parks yet here. If it is dry you will not be able to return the dirt so it looks undisturbed. Would suggest you work the edges under trees where no one cares. A screwdriver is a good practice, and a lesche will get you most coins. If your digging deep, make sure your digging a tear out or a place that no one will notice. There is thousands of places to hunt besides parks. But I keep my parks clean and good looking. I have a good raport with the groundskeepers. I respect the wishes of the city and always follow laws. Now this is a lesche digger.

Attachments

• 12974355_10205907944839415_4460437161196852971_n.jpg
    12974355_10205907944839415_4460437161196852971_n.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have dug with a regular garden trowel, a long handled garden trowel and finally a Lesche. It is by far my best digger. I run my pinpointer over the surface before any digging and if it sounds I know I just need to separate the sod to get my target. Otherwise the Lesche easily digs a nice clean hole.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have dug with a regular garden trowel, a long handled garden trowel and finally a Lesche. It is by far my best digger. I run my pinpointer over the surface before any digging and if it sounds I know I just need to separate the sod to get my target. Otherwise the Lesche easily digs a nice clean hole.
Aquachigger on youtube has a great set of tools. If in doubt, check him out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread