Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With credit cards, there is no need to have a large amount of cash on you, or in your home.

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
With credit cards, there is no need to have a large amount of cash on you, or in your home.

I don't feel like a grand is a large amount and I don't trust the government or the banks. So I will keep gold, silver and cash around for laughs and giggles.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I could imagine someone turning in a solid gold colonial shoe buckle to the police as lost & found,....

All of us md'rs rationalize that most of the objects we find are years, or decades or 100+ yrs. old . Right ? Hence "no one's looking for it any longer, hence no need to obey lost & found laws". Right ? So I passed this question past an attorney, who said that .... technically , ... the law makes no distinction on when YOU think the item was lost. Otherwise, everyone would forever be rationalizing and turning nothing at all in. And besides: As we all know, sometimes an old object is shallow and a new object is deep. So you can't be 100% certain when an item was lost.

Also the law makes no distinction on how to value an item. Eg.: intrinsic melt value ? (in which case a late model apple phone only has .99c in silicone and plastic?) Or value when new-in-store ? The re-sell or collector value ? etc.... The attorney told me to turn in the items to the police, and let them decide valuation method (yeah right, haha)

And how about collectible coins that exceed your state's dollar threshold ? (A 1916D merc. worth $700, for instance). It's *possible* that a modern day collector lost that, eh ? There was actually a case here in CA where a nerdy 4th grade kid took his dad's coin collection to school for show & tell. He then passed them out to classmates during recess, to "make friends". The other kids lost them all over the school yard (treating them like play-money). Ok, you tell me: Do the coins now belong to the next lucky guy with a detector ? Since the value printed on the face of the 1916D merc is "10c", not $700, right ? If you were that coin collector, do you think the coins are still yours if someone else found them ? Or do you willingly tell the md'r "congratz on finding my coins you get to keep" ? :)

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
This is the first I've ever heard of a bank wanting to know where the money came from. I've made some very large deposits over the years, but they all have been checks. When Mom died, I deposited 85 Grand in the bank, and the teller asked if it was an inheritance, I said yes and that was all there was to it. Thinking about it, most all my transactions are debit or checks. I haven't borrowed money to buy a house or a car for a long, long time, so this is all new to me. Welcome to the "land of the free."

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And with credit cards, (and debit) cards, your every move can be tracked.

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Please show me this "law" in writing.

I wish I could. I can't find it. My realtor said it was a new law put into effect by Obummer to help the war on drugs. However, they can only look back 60 days and no further into your finances. Pretty strange

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I'm gonna lay odds that you've never been skimmed by a credit card reader. Happened to my wife and she now pays cash for all but the largest purchases.
(and yes, she has her HCP and is well trained)

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Posession is nine-tenths of the law.

How would anyone prove he was not the golds owner after it's been refined?

He only need to shoulder the burden of proof because he wants something from the bank.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an account with Bank of America so I can use their ATMs as I travel around the country. I often only use it every few years so I will go to my local branch in January and deposit $100 or so to make sure the account is still alive.

This January, I was told (very nicely) that I had to show my DL to make a deposit of any kind. They agreed it was beyond stupid, but insisted it was a "New Law'. They even had my BOA issued picture ID but that wasn't enough. I mean, for crissakes, they already have my SSN and DL from the account opening and my pic matches their own issued ID!

So I started asking friends to check with their banks. I asked my credit union where I do all my real banking and they had never heard of any such thing. Nor have any of 3 other banks that friends use. My conclusion is that it is simply a BOA rule and they lied to me. Next January I am going to deposit a quarter and see what they tell me. If they had a competitor that had as many and as scattered ATMs I would already have dumped BOA.

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Ok... so,I'm not so sure this is a new rule, as much as it is an application of existing "documentation requirements." I've known enough loan officers that this question of "why do I need to document my income to this level of scrutiny?!" Has come up many times.

The short answer is that banks/loaners are trying to ensure you didn't come up with the cash by getting another loan. The 60 day requirement ensures a loan shows up on a credit report if through legitimate means.

I understand that. That is why I gave them the ARA receipt. However after that they came up with me needing proof the gold was actually mine to sell. So if I sold my scuba gear or my silver coins, HOW could I ever prove I owned them? I have way over a grand in silver. What proof would I be able to give to show I owned silver coins? IMPOSSIBLE

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not allowed to have a grand at home and use it for earnest money to buy a home. That is FEDERAL LAW.

I absolutely agree this whole fiasco is STUPID. How does anybody prove they own anything they sell and make money off of unless they have a title or a bill of sale for it that they kept forever. I have absolutely no proof I own my scuba gear or detectors. So how do you prove anything you have was yours to sell? Mind boggling.

No, I don't think it is a law. Yes, the federal government does some lending via FHA but if you go conventional loan, that is a transaction between you and the lender, not the government. Banks may be intending to hold the loan themselves, in which case they set their own underwriting standards, or they may intend to sell the loan to others in which case they may use the intended mortgage purchaser's underwriting standards. If you are going conventional, then try another lender. Credit unions who hold their own loans are usually the easiest to work with and to get a loan approved.

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
I don't know that this will work but if it were me I would just sign something like this before a notary (and have it signed and stamped). Then submit it to the bank and see what they say.

At the request of Quicken Mortgage I hereby make the following statement to clarify the deposit in the amount of $......................... made into my account #..................... at ……….…………..... (Bank) on ……………., 2017.
This sum of $..................................... was the total of the melt value for …………. ounces of scrap gold which I sent to …………………..… for liquidation in anticipation of the closing on the property located at ………………………….……………

This scrap gold was owned by me free and clear of any lien or obligation. I accumulated the sum total of this scrap gold from various sources over the course of many years. I did not receive any portion of this scrap gold from any other party to the transaction for the purchase of the property located at …………………………………………………..

I certify the above statement as true and correct under penalty of law.

Dated:

State of ________________

County of _______________

Sworn before me this _____ day of ______________,2017

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
For 2.5% and I'll send you a sworn statement that you bought it from me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread