SpencerK

Jan 5, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab Go-Find 60, Bounty hunter tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sneaky gold... (refining/recycling)

I recently got into gold recycling. Mostly because I had surgery and Can't get out to the beach to go detecting. So I can lay in bed and tear stuff apart (great for taking out surgical frustrations lol) and separate all good plated parts.

Mix up some "gold acid," dissolve the gold plated parts (including all good jewelry less than 18k and plated gold jewellery) and then precipitate the gold out of solution after cleaning/purifying/diluting using a metal heavier than gold (but lighter than any base metal). The result is .999 pure or higher gold dust. The step is melt it down and cast it to whatever shape you like! I did one batch already but hastily sold it to supplement my income while I'm off my feet so I don't have a picture of that.

What I do have is a picture of the gold plated scrap I have accumulated over the past few days.

It takes time but if you know where to look, it's worth the time and effort. Plus it's really cool to be able to "mine" gold from what is essentially trash and have a nice gold button to show for it. (my first was 13.78 grams! Of PURE gold)

I'm going to update this thread periodically with my refined results. I may post a write up for you guys on the chemical/refining process later on but its a lot science I'm assuming not many people care about. So unless you guys show interest, the info is all on YouTube haha.

For now enjoy my shiny vile of plated scrap!

20170309_130727.jpg

20170309_130720.jpg

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Count me as a believer. I've pulled computer pins and such for years against the day I get my forge going.

OP
OP
S

SpencerK

Jan 5, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab Go-Find 60, Bounty hunter tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That 13.78 grams of gold was from about 3 months worth of trash collecting.

Here's a tip, skip the computer parts. They aren't plated very thick. Look for old telephone cables/connectors/splitters, Ethernet cables, jule disposable vaporizer cartridges and von earl disposable vaporizer cartridges. They are plated thicker than almost anything else there is and they are plated through 100% of the surface area. It adds up fast. They connection points are about 6 microns thick Plus the rest...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread