What State did you find Spanish Silver in ??

NorthernTesoro

Oct 3, 2014
Colorado (Formerly MN)
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Really?!!! I found it in a sidewalk strip next to a old 1800's Masonic Lodge that is near a river that they use to bring oxen and other good to our town from New Orleans. It was 8" and solid black. You are the first person to tell me about the Durango 8R aspect. Now I want to research it more. I just kissed it......again. Lol

If you know more I'd love to hear it. Thank you soooo much.

I've been Metal Detecting for 1.5 years, I found it 6 months into detecting. I metal detect at least 5x's a week. Totally addicted like a nut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Truth1253 Man that is a great find, I can imagine a merchant, trader or even a thief making off with some loot and losing that piece, it had to be someone with money because a 8 Reales wasn't exactly pocket change in that time.

I love the 8 Reales Mexican "Cap & Rays" because they are often overlooked in favor of the more popular Spanish 8 Reales and also because they represent the last of the "pieces of eight". Both the Spanish and Mexican 8 Reales were accepted as legal tender in the US until the coinage act of 1857 and continued to be the workhorse of trade with the orient into the late 1800's. New Orleans was the primary port of entry for Spanish/Mexican silver coins as it was part of a lucrative trade network with Veracruz, Mexico.

Well back to your coin, the Do mint mark denotes the mint at Durango Mexico and the initials R.L. belong to the assayer but unfortunately his name is listed as unknown. It is listed as scarce in my book on Cap & Rays and the followup notes on your coin state "that these are normally found only in Fine to Very Fine and often crudely struck" which sounds exactly like yours! The Die style of this 8R was only used from 1827-1829. Obverse design is the Liberty cap (Phrygian) with rays behind it and the reverse is the Mexican Republican Eagle. The 10D 20G stands for Dineros Y Granos which was a old Spanish medieval method of indicating the finesse of silver or gold, it translates to .903 fine silver. If you look at it's edge it should have a pattern like this )))))))))))) all around and if you ever weigh it, it should come close to 27 grams.

A very interesting coin hoard was discovered in New Orleans in the construction of the Le Meridien Hotel in the 1980's with the Cap & Rays 8R's being one of the main types of coins found together with smaller Spanish and American denominations. You are lucky to live in a very Historically rich place and a gold mine for Metal Detecting!

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Truth1253 Man that is a great find, I can imagine a merchant, trader or even a thief making off with some loot and losing that piece, it had to be someone with money because a 8 Reales wasn't exactly pocket change in that time.

I love the 8 Reales Mexican "Cap & Rays" because they are often overlooked in favor of the more popular Spanish 8 Reales and also because they represent the last of the "pieces of eight". Both the Spanish and Mexican 8 Reales were accepted as legal tender in the US until the coinage act of 1857 and continued to be the workhorse of trade with the orient into the late 1800's. New Orleans was the primary port of entry for Spanish/Mexican silver coins as it was part of a lucrative trade network with Veracruz, Mexico.

Well back to your coin, the Do mint mark denotes the mint at Durango Mexico and the initials R.L. belong to the assayer but unfortunately his name is listed as unknown. It is listed as scarce in my book on Cap & Rays and the followup notes on your coin state "that these are normally found only in Fine to Very Fine and often crudely struck" which sounds exactly like yours! The Die style of this 8R was only used from 1827-1829. Obverse design is the Liberty cap (Phrygian) with rays behind it and the reverse is the Mexican Republican Eagle. The 10D 20G stands for Dineros Y Granos which was a old Spanish medieval method of indicating the finesse of silver or gold, it translates to .903 fine silver. If you look at it's edge it should have a pattern like this )))))))))))) all around and if you ever weigh it, it should come close to 27 grams.

A very interesting coin hoard was discovered in New Orleans in the construction of the Le Meridien Hotel in the 1980's with the Cap & Rays 8R's being one of the main types of coins found together with smaller Spanish and American denominations. You are lucky to live in a very Historically rich place and a gold mine for Metal Detecting!

Thank you so much for that history of my pride and joy. I love it so much I bought a 1829 Capped Busted to pair it with the American coin of the same year. IMG_1989.JPG IMG_1988.JPG
Once again I appreciate you so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NorthernTesoro

Oct 3, 2014
Colorado (Formerly MN)
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other

mooncusser

Sep 1, 2016
salisbury maryland
Detector(s) used
garret a/t pro whites v3i whites treasure pro
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
silver in maryland

found at a church that had been hammered hard . i was invited afterwards ....lol

Attachments

• IMG_20160227_185332252.jpg
    IMG_20160227_185332252.jpg
    504.9 KB · Views: 56

lawsonland

Oct 1, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Currently use CTX, Excalibur
Have used V3I, DFX, BHID, ATX, Etrac, TDI, Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found 2 in NJ. One in Trenton, one down the shore after a storm

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cato N.Y. Pulled 3 Spanish Reales from my cousins bean field. At one time there was a cabin there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread