Silver, BIG gold, Little gold with ice, then more BIG gold! What a start!

Daryn

Apr 23, 2013
Sorry but I'd look for the owner cause it the right and humanistic thing to do. Maybe that person passed away young and the family would want it back. Just my opinion.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wanna' know where you're getting 500 bucks for a 10K class ring.
That means I'm sitting on at least two grand today and I could certainly use it.

Here's another good lesson when it comes to rings. I was seeing my most recent ex GF from last summer (about the same time I disappeared from T'Net) until early February. I told her about my metal detecting hobby early on; which led to me showing her some of my finds; which led to showing her some of my jewelry and then ultimately giving her one of my 14K ladies' rings around New Years. I'm sorry I did now. I'm not blaming anyone but myself here but I'll definitely think twice next time.

I ended up breaking off the relationship but never got my (her) ring back and probably never will. I didn't ask for it back outright but decided I would give it a few days or weeks because emotions were running high and I wanted to be decent about the breakup. Big mistake. The upside is; I didn't pay any money for it although I did pay in my time and effort. I DID give it to her but I assumed that since we're not together she wouldn't want it anymore. Guess I was wrong.
Another lesson learned and duly noted.

In the end, it's up to all of us as individuals what we choose to do with our finds. It's OUR business. We don't post on T'Net to get lectured if our values don't completely agree with someone else's values. We're here to learn from one another but not to pass judgement. If I ever need judgement I can get it from lots of other places and surely don't want to sully my T'Net time with petty arguments or debates.

As far as what you personally do with your finds, whatever you choose is entirely up to you and that goes the same for everyone else as far as I'm concerned. I'm a big "live and let live" kind of guy. Plus, the saying "finders keepers; losers weepers" is a statement of truth even though it can be a subjective truth at times.
And once again, congrats on a great hunt...

Last edited:

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on an all around wonderful, memorable day!

As to the "owners" of the rings? You need not look, you've already found them. :)

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Both of us consider the gold as a double gold day for me and single gold day for him. While we had three together, I don't think we'll count it as a triple. More of a "the one day we both found some!"

This is my third double gold day. The first was two gold rings in a single hole, and the second was in a small neighborhood park, found about an hour a part... This is definitely the MOST gold I've found, though!

I guess it's a matter of perspective but in my book, 2 plus 1 always equal three.
But again, not here to judge; just to get inspired and learn. I haven't even been out yet this year but it will soon be time. It's cold as hell here at the moment and we may get a big snowstorm tomorrow night. When it was warm for a few weeks I had to work most of the time and never got out.

Oh and about that GF of mine, she also has an 8 year old boy who I gave one of my detectors to. It's my old BH Tracker IV that I found my very first gold ring with. He's been using it since Christmas.

He LOVES it and I'm really happy I was able to introduce him to the hobby. Hopefully after the dust settles a little while longer I'll still be able to take him hunting once in a while. I promised to teach him how to become a bad ass treasure hunter and hopefully I'll be able to keep that promise at some point.

I'm talking to another girl now and as it turns out, she has two young sons very interested in metal detecting (whoda' thunk it??). Maybe I should start a school for kid treasure hunters. They keep showing up in my life over the last couple of years...

Last edited:

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh and btw, I LOVE that signet style ring. The only one of those I've found turned out to be palladium (stainless steel).
I thought it was silver when I first dug it up...

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll add this food for thought to this conversation. First off, it's not my place to judge someone in their decision as to whether or not they should look for the owner of a found class ring. I know what I would do, but I will keep any opinion I have to myself since it really doesn't matter.

But for you folks who say that he should try to return it, let me ask you this question. Have you ever found, say, a dog license tag? For any of us who have been detecting for any amount of time, we've all found that five or ten year old tag at the local park. So after finding it, did you take it to your local city hall and ask them to check the license number against their past records to find the name of the owner so it could be returned? I'm guessing not.

After all, why would you? It has no monetary value and it's long since expired, so it has no use. But what if that tag belonged to a dog that later died? Or belonged to a dog that had run away one day when the owner was at work? What if that tag was the only physical thing that the owner would have as a memory of their beloved pet? After all, many pet owners look at their pets as their children.

So how is finding the owner of a class ring any different? The difference is that we as the finder place a value on it based on our own opinions as to what holds value to us. We then determine if it's "worthy" of being returned to the owner or not. In the example of the dog license, for most of us it's just junk and not "valuable" enough to be given the time and effort to be returned. But that tag may have far more of an intrinsic and emotional value to the owner than any monetary value that a ring could ever have.

In the case of the ring, we are assessing a monetary value on it based on its precious metal content and we are assuming it has sentimental value to the initial owner due to the personalization aspect of it. But what if the owner didn't really want it or care about it in the first place? I was given a high school class ring by my parents during my high school years. Not once have I worn it and frankly I don't even know where it is. Maybe, just maybe, the found ring was lost due to the owner not particularly caring about it?

My point of all of this is this: if someone is going to judge another for not trying to return a found class ring, then that person needs to make sure that he or she is not a hypocrite. I'm sure folks out there will have a rebuttal to this, but this is just my opinion.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Whooo hooo! Big congratulations to both of you!

Take it all! Give nothing back! :skullflag:

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's TreasurePro, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 + TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's an awesome day with your son! Definitely memorable for both of you!

On the whole ring return thing....

I haven't found a ring yet that has anything uniquely identifiable to the owner, so I haven't had to cross that bridge yet, but I know what I'll do when that happens.

One thing I've thought about is making contact with the person who lost the ring, and asking them if they would like to buy it for the current scrap metal price. Has anyone else considered doing that? I've also thought about adding in a finder's fee and research fee. Just a thought.

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome freaking day! Soooo much gold! Congrats on the loot and the great memories you made. Class rings are a silly thing to begin with. Cash them out and don't look back.

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One thing I've thought about is making contact with the person who lost the ring, and asking them if they would like to buy it for the current scrap metal price. Has anyone else considered doing that? I've also thought about adding in a finder's fee and research fee. Just a thought.

Noooooo, that is not a good idea and could potentially be criminal. Many states, including California, have misappropriation of lost property laws that actually require the finder of an item to try to find the owner (or turn over to the police to do so) if there is means by which to find the owner. I work in the legal industry and have seen the successful prosecution of folks under this criminal statute. Here is the California law in its entirety.

California Penal Code 485: One who finds lost property under circumstances which give him knowledge of or means of inquiry as to the true owner, and who appropriates such property to his own use, or to the use of another person not entitled thereto, without first making reasonable and just efforts to find the owner and to restore the property to him, is guilty of theft.

One of the situations I saw prosecuted was where a lady dropped her wallet out of her purse while at a grocery store. Another lady behind her saw the wallet fall, and she picked it up and then left the store with it. The wallet had over $1200 inside of it and the lady who picked it up was located and arrested for felony theft. (In California the threshold for misdemeanor / felony theft is if the item is valued over $950.) The other instance in which I have seen this law enforced in the court system was for an incident where a bag of money was inadvertently left on the bumper of an armored car and fell off as the vehicle drove off. Well the bag had the bank’s name on it but the person who picked up the bag kept it for himself. He went to jail because he had the means by which to find the owner, but chose to keep the money instead.

These types of instances are what the law was written and intended for. BUT, it can be enforced in other circumstances too. If you were to go to someone and tell them, “Hey, I have your lost property and I’ll give it back to you if you pay me”, then you don’t have much of a leg to stand on if the owner challenges you. Under this law you would be forced to give the property back to the owner.

Last edited:

Benjamin52

Apr 26, 2011
Germany
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS :-:
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing hunt! Congrats and its always great to make a hunt a family event, what a sick luckstreak u guys had!

nor kal kid

Feb 19, 2014
northern kalifornia, Bay area
Detector(s) used
XLT, Mxt all pro, garrett pp.coils 10"DD, 950, 12"spyder.for mxt all pro. Coils for xlt 950 and 15" magnum force field "depth plus"mxt max coil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll add this food for thought to this conversation. First off, it's not my place to judge someone in their decision as to whether or not they should look for the owner of a found class ring. I know what I would do, but I will keep any opinion I have to myself since it really doesn't matter.

But for you folks who say that he should try to return it, let me ask you this question. Have you ever found, say, a dog license tag? For any of us who have been detecting for any amount of time, we've all found that five or ten year old tag at the local park. So after finding it, did you take it to your local city hall and ask them to check the license number against their past records to find the name of the owner so it could be returned? I'm guessing not.

After all, why would you? It has no monetary value and it's long since expired, so it has no use. But what if that tag belonged to a dog that later died? Or belonged to a dog that had run away one day when the owner was at work? What if that tag was the only physical thing that the owner would have as a memory of their beloved pet? After all, many pet owners look at their pets as their children.

So how is finding the owner of a class ring any different? The difference is that we as the finder place a value on it based on our own opinions as to what holds value to us. We then determine if it's "worthy" of being returned to the owner or not. In the example of the dog license, for most of us it's just junk and not "valuable" enough to be given the time and effort to be returned. But that tag may have far more of an intrinsic and emotional value to the owner than any monetary value that a ring could ever have.

In the case of the ring, we are assessing a monetary value on it based on its precious metal content and we are assuming it has sentimental value to the initial owner due to the personalization aspect of it. But what if the owner didn't really want it or care about it in the first place? I was given a high school class ring by my parents during my high school years. Not once have I worn it and frankly I don't even know where it is. Maybe, just maybe, the found ring was lost due to the owner not particularly caring about it?

My point of all of this is this: if someone is going to judge another for not trying to return a found class ring, then that person needs to make sure that he or she is not a hypocrite. I'm sure folks out there will have a rebuttal to this, but this is just my opinion.

You just made me feel real guilty about the dog tags i have about 40 off them am going to start looking for the owners.by the way i am going to start a new business of returning class rings for you people who cannot find the owners i will find them just send them to me.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skippy SH13, Congrats to you and your son! Nice finds and looks like a great day of hunting and sharing something you both enjoy. His smile in the pics said it all. As for the rings, 6" and 8" down, been there a while and 2001 and 2008, probably been hunted for and gave up a while ago. If you found then on surface, might be worth checking and the owner would probably still be out looking. You all found them, had a great hunt, hopefully that site stays open and continues to be a good source of finds and fun! :icon_thumright:

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HEY SKIPPY POST IT AGAIN . I USED TO BE HOUNDED BECAUSE I USE CASE LETTERS DUE TO MY HEAD INJURY DECIDED TO CALL IT QUITS A FEW TIMES, BUT THE OTHER MEMBERS WOULDNT HAVE IT ,AND FOR THE ONES WHO BRASH PEOPLE, GET A LIFE..

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can't see the cause for getting bent out of shape, but a prime example of why people should not be able to edit posts after an hour or so.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Souch a teachable moment for a child.... and the post was deleted!

Perhaps next hunt a backbone will be found. Then I'd let it ride and take all the feedback like a man.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
deleted. Tired of the conversation. I probably won't be posting more finds. For folks who come to T-Net to rag on others. Hope you enjoy yourselves.

Skippy, Why did you Delete :(
I now have No Proof of Who started What :(

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread