1 penny = 2.4 cents - More then double your money!!!

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was just looking at the value of base metals and realized that every copper Lincoln penny minted between 1909 and 1982 is worth at least $0.024 cents or exact value is $0.024077331130683. I know some of the older stuff is worth more for collector value but it does make a case for saving your not so old copper pennies. Where else are you going to over double your money and with the market currently down around 360 points it may make sense to hoard your pennies. LOL.

I found these coin metal value calculators that are fun to play with.

http://www.coinflation.com/coin_calculators.html

I hope you enjoy.

NJ

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just goes to prove that KVM was correct when he began advising, some 25 years, that we should start collecting all pennies minted before 1982. The Grand Ole Man was dead on target again. ;D

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
It's not illegal to melt your pennies down, or recycle them. Once you have them, you own them. Write the U.S. mint and ask, they'll verify it for you. The stories about defacing money are wive's tales. Taking it out of the country may be another story.

I wonder though, if the recycling center would take a bucket of pennies?? It'd be interesting to see. Anyone ever try?

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
captain Jack said:
It's not illegal to melt your pennies down, or recycle them. Once you have them, you own them. Write the U.S. mint and ask, they'll verify it for you. The stories about defacing money are wive's tales. Taking it out of the country may be another story.

I wonder though, if the recycling center would take a bucket of pennies?? It'd be interesting to see. Anyone ever try?

Sorry, US Mint banned the melting of US coinage and there are very stiff fines for getting caught. http://money.cnn.com/2006/12/14/news/melting/index.htm?cnn=yes

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread