Detecting on a Cherry point NC Marine base ??

VWandSTUDEBAKER

Jul 11, 2010
Gainesville FLorida
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites BHID, Whites SurfPlus,Whites 5900 Pro Sl, various other detectors, TRX pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am here on Cherry Point NC Marine base with my kids who just got stationed here from Okinawa Japan. Does anyone know the rules about detecting on this base, if allowed at all? Im not looking to detect on the military activity area. Where we are staying (Cherry Point Inn) if anyone knows of the area, looks to be older with some buildings that are now gone.

or if anyone knows who to contact to find out and answer, please let me know

Thanks,
David

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stop by the MP station and ask if and where you might be able to detect

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I would go to Historic Map Works website, and try and pull up some old maps of the area. Compare or overlay them with new Google Earth images. Good luck!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
The mere act of your presence there (ie.: your ability to be on base, etc....) isn't an issue. And didn't your wife loose her ring there last week ? :) You could certainly ask, as loco-digger suggests, but then you'd be in the Russian roulette game of someone's whims and mood. Assuming there's no specific rule against it (which I doubt there is), they could just decide something else applies to the "pressing question".

Prior to 9/11 (when bases were open for the public around me), I detected military bases all the time. Barring of course, historic sensitive monument type spots within them. Otherwise, they were just like any city, where .... so long as you weren't being a nuisance and/or "sticking out" begging for attention, you were just ignored.

But after 9/11, bases around my part of CA all got "checkpoint charlies". And a lot of 19 yr. recruits are now busy-body mp's in ramped up patrols. At one such bases in CA, I had legit. business with my company, to be on base. And ... after our job was done, I hunted for hours around some of the abandoned barracks. Did this for several such work days, till .... finally .... I got the "scram". No big deal. I don't even recall why he said "scram". Most likely because it just looked odd someone being around this part of the base, where nothing was going on (ie.: a car in the middle of nowhere). Once he checked that I had a legit base-pass, then he just shrugged his shoulders and said that I can't be doing that. Oh well, no biggee. But the same could happen in a city park too.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
On base, and since you're a civilian, skip all the chain of command (you won't get in trouble) and call the command duty officer directly. Get his blessing and you've got God's blessing.

The important thing is to know what areas are off limits to all persons. Should have all relevant info posted somewhere on base and online.

Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread