Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Huge blizzard so I did some research, I used google earth overlay with a late 1800's map. To my surprise, there was a road that was not on the current map. I did street view and saw a little entrance to it through the woods, an old dirt road going right through the woods. I noticed a strange patch of grass, like a small field, I put the overlay back and see that there was a house there. I changed the google earth image to one taken in the late 1980's. Still a dirt path through the woods. Probably almost 20 inches of snow out there, so I doubt I will be able to get out for a while, but if we didn't have snow I don't know if I would have been able to look it up.

Any tips? Does this sound like it will be good? I am sure some people may walk it, you can see the entrance of the road from the street. I doubt anyone metal detected there though.

Thanks for the help, Coinman123

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
worth a half hour anyways

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Did some research, house is from the mid 1700's, and the road is too. I am completely sure of that, thanks to old maps and old documents. I can't wait to check that place out. Also, other house down the road in the 1700's. Stupid snow.

Last edited:

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Easy access to the woods and is it posted? Do you, can or do you need to get permission to hunt? Sounds like a hunt worth trying out to see what is around! May be unhunted area. Snow stinks and hope this gets it out until next winter. I know most everyone is ready to get out! Hope you can get in there and see what is there. GL HH

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Easy access to the woods and is it posted? Do you, can or do you need to get permission to hunt? Sounds like a hunt worth trying out to see what is around! May be unhunted area. Snow stinks and hope this gets it out until next winter. I know most everyone is ready to get out! Hope you can get in there and see what is there. GL HH

Nope, No "No Trespassing" signs. I'm pretty sure it is now just a short walking trail. I can't wait to check it out. I agree, I hope this will make next winter less harsh.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man O Man, as "luvsdux" said, how can you NOT go for it. The snow will be gone, and it doesn't have legs, it will be there waiting just for YOU.

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Man O Man, as "luvsdux" said, how can you NOT go for it. The snow will be gone, and it doesn't have legs, it will be there waiting just for YOU.

Each time I read about it, it looks better. I know exactly where the house was, and after doing more research it was first built in around the 1740's, a rich Rev. war soldier lived there too later on. It will be like having unlimited access to a regular colonial house, compared to calling a homeowner who will turn me down or give me limited access (plus probably new stuff dropped in the past 50 years). The road is from the 1700's too. Public land and I think no one has dug there. Also apparently a small stream in the woods that was used as a mill in the 1700's. I am dying to get out there, I feel that place calling to me :laughing7:. I am going to scout it this weekend, maybe metal detect if the ground isn't frozen or has super deep snow. Unfortunately there was a second 1700's house, but it seems like it is too close to private land now, and developed in the 1990's.

Last edited:
OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
One side of the 1700's abandoned road has small woods, and apparently another 1700's house. Unfortunately, the side with that house only has a small amount of woods unless you go farther down the road. If you walk around less than a quarter mile you will end up on a new settlement. On the other side there is endless woods, and the 1700's house I mentioned in my other posts, and a 1700's mill supposedly. Where should I start first? The road goes for around half a mile maybe a mile, until it connects with another main road.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nah, I doubt anything is there. What are the coordinates again?

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You reeled me in at 'public land'. I'd be there as soon as melting snow allows. And I'd start at the homesite.

Also, I wouldn't do any short 'test hunts'. Competition might spot you. Be prepared to hunt all day on day1.

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Nah, I doubt anything is there. What are the coordinates again?

37Β°14β€²06β€³N 115Β°48β€²40β€³W

I don't think you will have problems getting in, super public.

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I measured the location of the second colonial homestead. And guess what, it is not developed over! It is next to a stream in the woods. I'm going to scout on Saturday at the latest. And metal detect there as soon as it is possible and the snow has cleared for the most part.

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Crap, Just found out that the road is newer, only from the early 1840's. Homesteads are still super old though.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
back in the '60's my very first old find was a 1919 wheat on an old abandoned coal mining road.

seemed like at about 10 inches deep.

but I was a kid and worked hard to dig it out hard packed stone ,
so it was probably an inch or 2 :laughing7:

go for it :thumbsup:

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like the kind of abandoned homesites I've been researching and hitting in PA. Also using google earth overlay feature. It's like modern day treasure map! 2 sites for me this year ended up being awesome virgin sites. 6 must have been hit before and only gave up a couple wheats and 2 were total busts because of iron everywhere. Hope you found a virgin!

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would also focus around the cellar holes first and in the surrounding flat areas. Hit the barn and secondary buildings last.(most likely full of iron)

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
What could I expect to find? The people from the two houses who lived there had a lot of money based on what I read. At one point in the 1700's they people from the two houses worked together on making a mill on the stream.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A pocket full of old coins or just rusty nails, you'll know in 45 min if the site is a winner

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread