I don't want to open a can of worms but...

Detecto

Mar 25, 2016
Detector(s) used
White's MXT ALL PRO 13" Detech and Eclipse 950 Coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Everyone seems to have a different opinion on the depth of their machine.

For example...I've heard people saying a White's 6000 series is deeper than their flagship V3i, a Tesoro Tejon is deeper than a Minelab CTX3030.

I've even heard some bizarre claims, like the White's MX5 which costs $550, is the deepest machine put out by White's.

OBVIOUSLY, a lot of "pee match" over depth leaves out one huge variable, THE SOIL.

A detector which can detect a quarter at 10", might only be good at 5" in another area, due to the amount of iron in the soil, minerals, etc.

I would love for a company to take about 30 metal detectors, including the "flagships" from every brand, and pit them against one another as scientifically as possible. Using the same test bed, on the same targets, in the same soil.

For whatever reason, I am obsessed with depth. While I realize most coins reside no deeper than 8", it's the thought of "what did I miss?" that keeps me awake at night.

A lot of people obviously don't have tens of thousands to try out every machine either.

However, it would be nice to find out which machine, other than ground penetrating radars, two boxes, etc offer the most depth, and don't cost an arm and a leg (over $3k).

It would be nice to know what is the deepest, but does not have to offer the most features. I'd rather have a simple 3 knob machine that got me 12" on a quarter, vs a machine with a color screen, etc that only got me 7" on a quarter.

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive heard that the PI detectors are the deepest. GPX machines get pretty darn deep.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Everyone seems to have a different opinion on the depth of their machine.

For example...I've heard people saying a White's 6000 series is deeper than their flagship V3i, a Tesoro Tejon is deeper than a Minelab CTX3030.

I've even heard some bizarre claims, like the White's MX5 which costs $550, is the deepest machine put out by White's.

OBVIOUSLY, a lot of "pee match" over depth leaves out one huge variable, THE SOIL.

A detector which can detect a quarter at 10", might only be good at 5" in another area, due to the amount of iron in the soil, minerals, etc.

I would love for a company to take about 30 metal detectors, including the "flagships" from every brand, and pit them against one another as scientifically as possible. Using the same test bed, on the same targets, in the same soil.

For whatever reason, I am obsessed with depth. While I realize most coins reside no deeper than 8", it's the thought of "what did I miss?" that keeps me awake at night.

A lot of people obviously don't have tens of thousands to try out every machine either.

However, it would be nice to find out which machine, other than ground penetrating radars, two boxes, etc offer the most depth, and don't cost an arm and a leg (over $3k).

It would be nice to know what is the deepest, but does not have to offer the most features. I'd rather have a simple 3 knob machine that got me 12" on a quarter, vs a machine with a color screen, etc that only got me 7" on a quarter.

Actually, it is a great idea Detecto, and has been tried in the past. I, along with several others attempted to organize a "Metal Detector Rodeo," in 2010. We invited Tesoro, Minelab, Garrett, Whites, Fisher (First Texas), and a couple of European makers to provide teams to compete in three categories - $0-$350 / $375-$700 / $750-$1,500

Went over like a lead balloon. Crickets.:skullflag:

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With all I have been reading, I have to agree with baspinall. A PI machine is the way to go for depth but be prepared to dig everything.

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, it is a great idea Detecto, and has been tried in the past. I, along with several others attempted to organize a "Metal Detector Rodeo," in 2010. We invited Tesoro, Minelab, Garrett, Whites, Fisher (First Texas), and a couple of European makers to provide teams to compete in three categories - $0-$350 / $375-$700 / $750-$1,500

Went over like a lead balloon. Crickets.:skullflag:

Maybe they all had their discrimination turned up too high? LOL.....

Soil is a variable, coil size is a variable, settings, weather, etc.....etc....

I like the idea of a round up too.

Instead of getting the manufacturers involved, why not detectorists just show up with their own brands.

Set machine dollar categories, and coil size categories.

All targets are recorded and planted in a given space, and each machine must locate as many targets as they can in a given time frame.

Nothing gets dug up until all machines have had a go?

Flatdog

Tenderfoot
Mar 12, 2017
Northern Black Forest
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The manafacturers won't pit themselves against each other unless they're certain their brand comes out on top. I was reading about this happening somewhere in the U.K. and those that agreed wouldn't test on the same day as other brands. No "match play"

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys are right about the soil etc. What works great in say New Jersey, may not do so well in Red Georgia clay, and what works in Georgia, perhaps not so well somewhere out West. Lots of variable's involved. The clams of "Depth", can be used as a guide, but again, so much depends on-------? Of all the different brands and models is there a "Deepest" detector on planet earth? I cant own all the detectors out there, gives me a headache thinking about it. I'll just need to work with the ones I already have. Everyone would like to have the deepest and best, but really, can anyone really know for sure? We all have really good equipment, but then again, sometimes, ya just want something new.

snorks

Apr 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something interesting to consider is just how unscientifically depth is actually measured and or PERCEIVED by detectorists. I personally believe that often someone digs a target....pin point....dig some more....pin point in the soil they have just removed....locate and recover the target.
The detectorist then looks at the hole and thinks WOW! 12 inches deep! But what really happens is that the target is actually at 10 inches or 11 or what ever. But you get my point. I believe sometimes (probably more often than not in soil that is easy to dig -soft or sandy etc.) holes are overdug in order to recover the target.
The hole that is left is NOT the depth that the target was actually laying.
Its something I have thought about and just thought Id share it here. I could very well be very wrong.
On another psychological note I believe some people add a bit on to the depth (sub cosniously or not I dont know)when they recover a good target or are brand loyal and are hunting with buddies with'rival' detectors.

Check it out next time you are out and see how deep your holes really are.

oredigger62

Jun 12, 2013
Austinville Va.
Detector(s) used
Fisher goldbug 2
Garrett infinium
garrett AT-MAX
Garrett sea hunter mark 2
Fisher gemini 3 ( two box )
Equinox 800
Nokta Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally think that most modern machines over the $500. mark will get quarters at 12 inches IF....

1) they are laying flat ... and

2) the detectors settings are not inhibited by disc. and sensitivity... and

3) the user has quality headphones... and

4) the user has developed the skills and understanding of his chosen machine. Working knowledge is priceless.

5) The proper coil is installed.

There are quite a few machines under the $500. mark that can produce those results in qualified hands.

Back years ago i had a buddy who was legitimately digging barber dimes at 12 inches as we measured some of them still half exposed in the holes . His Fishers outhunted my whites 4900 DiPro and my other buddies spectrum XLT on coins but both of us out did him on relics and jewelry .

As Mr. Soloman suggested a team shootout would be best as those teams who built the machines would know how to get the most out of them. I remember him trying to make that happen. The down side would have been that . as with anything manufactured , they would have been using cherry picked units that were to best of the best from production runs. You might not have went out and bought one that was just " right on " but one that did function fine. But at least you would have had an indication of what was possible from a particular machine.

As a side note... there are many minelabs out there that were sent out and " modded" and will out-perform a run of the mill production run detector of the same model and even built the same day. Way too many variables to overcome to get honest reliable results.

chatterbait

Dec 27, 2016
Gloucester co.NJ
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4,AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just started and can only go by what I've dug so far.I one instance I dug a target that was deep in big rocky soil.I'm 8" and nothing then 10" and a big pile of dirt.I'm just about to fill it in when I remember what someone on here said"trust your machine" so I continue.BAM there it is a 2.5" copper lid.Dead center of hole laying flat.Now I'm saying to myself, self that looks deep.Its 12" deep with a Fisher F4.I'm impressed with that machine so far because its not my skill that got that thing.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
These "tests", in my opinion, would be useless. How would one duplicate real world conditions including targets that have been in the ground for 100+ years? Anyway, depth means nothing as most guys can't find a dime at 6", and the machine is not to blame.

thumper

Nov 25, 2005
clifton forge virginia
Detector(s) used
radioshack discovery 2000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in sw va. There are old iron ore mines all around me. If you can find a coin over 6" deep,you can brag

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably too many variables.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These "tests", in my opinion, would be useless. How would one duplicate real world conditions including targets that have been in the ground for 100+ years? Anyway, depth means nothing as most guys can't find a dime at 6", and the machine is not to blame.

That's there is funny!!

Cassews

Dec 29, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett/White
Primary Interest:
Other
In my very humble opinion -its all a matter of where you live (soil, metals, minerals etc..) as to what type of detector to use for your specific needs of detecting. We have a White and a Garret that are just perfect for our needs in the fields of Western Colorado. I prefer something a lot less heavy and Dearest Hubs prefers something with heft to the machine. So if depth is what you are after maybe you need to do a side by side comparison and figure out what suits your metal detecting style best.
Try counting sheep or metal detectors so you don't stay up at night wondering and worrying. :hello:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions