garrett detector won't power up

shattercane

Dec 23, 2010
Hello fellow treasure hunters. I have a Garrett GTA 1000. I've had it for years and last time I went out it wouldn't power up when pushing the touch pad. It worked just fine a couple weeks before. I have a feeling, maybe just a hope, it is something simple. New batteries didn't help. I bought an AT Pro to replace it but would like to fix it for my grandson to use when we go hunting together. Does anybody out there have any suggestions as to what I may do to breath new life into the detector. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had a GTA 1000 , great detector I felt. It's retired now, but never had that problem, I did have a problem with the speaker with and without headphones, and I did send it in, and it was repaired. Have a lot of history with it, so won't let it go. I'll fire it up again if someone wants to learn detecting, so, it may be worth sending in. It's a judgement call.

OP
OP
S

shattercane

Dec 23, 2010
Thanks for the replies folks. That will be my next move if it isn't something easy to remedy. My concern is, if it cost as much to send to Garrett for repair as a newer technology detector then it would be better money spent to purchase a new one for my grandson but I'll sort it out. Thanks again for the input. I value the opinions of those on this site.

Detecto

Mar 25, 2016
Detector(s) used
White's MXT ALL PRO 13" Detech and Eclipse 950 Coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The boards are all in the box containing the display AFAIK.

I bought a GTA someting off craigslist about 7 years ago for $50, because it had the same issue you had.

There are 2-3 circuit boards inside, all sandwiched together on pin connectors.

If your fairly savvy with taking things apart, take all the boards apart, clean the pins, and put together and try it.

If memory serves correct, dropping the metal detector or jarring it over a long time can cause the boards to separate slightly, which won't let the detector turn on.

Also, while it's apart, see that ribbon cable? If that goes into a socket, try taking the cable out, and carefully rub the metal areas with a eraser, I think that could be the wires for the buttons.

Those ribbon connectors have a knack for oxidizing and causing issues.

DSCI0139.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

shattercane

Dec 23, 2010
Thanks Detecto. I know what you are referring to on the circuit boards. I accessed them looking for a loose wire or something obvious but didn't take them apart as it looked quite intimidating with those stacked boards. I will do as you suggest this evening and see if it works. The information you offered is what I was hoping for. I take lots of different things apart and try to fix them. Sometimes it works and sometimes not but I have found that in many instances the trouble is simple and easy to fix and I feel like this may be one of those times. I will get back on here with what I find. Thanks so much to you.

OP
OP
S

shattercane

Dec 23, 2010
I took the circuit boards apart and cleaned the pins with electronic cleaner. I couldn't get the ribbon cable out to clean. Didn't want to get to aggressive with it. The detector still didn't power up so the problem is elsewhere, maybe in the switch or the power button. Looks like the time may have come to bury the 1000. One thing for sure is I got my money's worth of enjoyment from it and some nice treasures also, so I can't complain. Thanks to all who replied to my question.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread