Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure what you are so butthurt about TC.
A guy deletes/modifys 100's of his posts, then posts a mushy [and forum trashing] goodby thread - Thats a drama queen to me, don't know or care what you'd call it.
So I'm a mean bully for pointing that out ?
He did it to be spiteful, he did it to attract attention ,,, And now that hes got it you want it all to be unicorns, moonbeams and rainbows !

I've left forums before in anger - I delete the forum from my bookmarks and never return. Had that been done we would not be having this conversation.

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A guy deletes/modifys 100's of his posts, then posts a mushy [and forum trashing] goodby thread - Thats a drama queen to me, don't know or care what you'd call it.
He did it to be spiteful, he did it to attract attention ,,, And now that hes got it you want it all to be unicorns, moonbeams and rainbows !

I've left forums before in anger - I delete the forum from my bookmarks and never return. Had that been done we would not be having this conversation.

I read the post and disagree with the "forum trashing" comment. Yes he made some comments about mods and his disappointment with them, but it was hardly trashing.

I'm not disputing the fact that he shouldn't have deleted his posts, I concur that it was a stupid thing to do, but calling it forum trashing is a bit of a reach.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fair point Geo, I didn't read it and am going by what was said so I take that back.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No, you're not a mean bully. People like you just don't think before you comment. A lot of hurtful and nasty things said can't be taken back. I like the old saying...."if you can't say something nice about someone, don't say anything at all."
Skippy was and still is a pretty good guy. I hope someday he can be forgiven and come back on here. I would much rather read his posts than yours.

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fair point Geo, I didn't read it and am going by what was said so I take that back.

I have total respect for a post like this, thank you for your comment.

CC_IN_CA

Jun 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Tecknetics Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hmm, never personally saw a rule against deleting a post or posts. Some might also say some are a little over zeolus at their volunteer positions. Not saying doing one thing or another isn't childish but so are the kneejerk reactions that follow

Brings up the sticky question, who owns a post? The poster or the board owner? Think twice before posting.

CC_IN_CA

Jun 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Tecknetics Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We ban when a member starts wholesale deleting of their posts and threads.

If certain members have issue with moderation take it up via pm with mods per our rules, NOT IN OPEN FORUM.

Warning, attacking the moderation of forum violates our rules as does insulting mods.

IMO, a poster should have the right to delete any or all of their posts, but not initial post that create a thread.
Deleting threads damages a board and shouldn't be allowed.
Deleting posts is a right of ownership and privacy that shouldn't be denied.
This is how I've seen this resolved on other boards. Its a fine line.

Last edited:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMO, a poster should have the right to delete any or all of their posts, but not initial post that create a thread.

I seriously doubt [that issues like this are resolved by letting posters modify their previous posts at will].

On the contrary, the issue is usually "resolved" by imposing a time limit on editing, after that you'd better be happy with it because its not going to be removed.
Once you post comments in the ether, you don't "own" them, where'd you ever come up with a notion like that ?

No, you're not a mean bully. People like you just don't think before you comment. A lot of hurtful and nasty things said can't be taken back. I like the old saying...."if you can't say something nice about someone, don't say anything at all."
Skippy was and still is a pretty good guy. I hope someday he can be forgiven and come back on here. I would much rather read his posts than yours.

Ok so he was a forum friend of yours and you are sad he is gone, I get that.
You don't care for me on the other hand, and can do without reading my posts - Considering I didn't even know you existed until yesterday, I'm pretty sure I can live with that ,, And you do have the ignore option as well just to be on the safe side.
So lets call that good and move on, you know my opinion I know yours, further bickering is pointless.

Last edited:

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
From what I can gather, or guess, about that one chopped up thread is people were getting on him about returning a class ring.
If I am in error please forgive me but no matter what caused this it is the same.

These, "you must return class rings" type of reactions are not news, it happens on every forum because there are all types out there that have wildly different feelings about this stuff...
Those that think you are morally wrong for not doing it
Those that are pirates and would never consider doing it
Those that did it and got burned so they won't do it again
Those that just don't care either way.

I always maintained the stuff we find is ours to do with as we wish.
If you want to return them great, more power to you.
Not many experiences in this hobby are better than when you make someone happy by returning their lost item and they show sincere gratitude.

Some get burned but still continue to attempt returns no matter what, especially a few water hunters that find a lot of these.
Lots of respect for those that get knocked down and keep going.

Others keep all they find as is their right IMO...I have lost things and even though I would love to get them back I don't expect to and the fault, and repercussions, are all on me.

Then there is me...I had a bad experience on my first return, totally ignored by the owners of two others despite all my efforts to contact them so now I don't even try anymore.
That first one cut me deeply and I have no interest in putting myself in that situation ever again.
I have been called out by a few of those that think they know what's best for me and want to tell me how to think, live my life and deal with this stuff but I just tell them I sleep very well at night despite being the selfish despicable type person I am...and then I just ignore them if they keep it up.

Deleting posts and getting upset about this issue and how a few people react is useless...it has happened in the past, it still does happen and will always happen as long as these forums are around.
As you can see this type of hissy fit can also have other repercussions.

Best just to think what you want to think, act mature and have a thick hide as a barrier against those that don't agree.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Threads and posts belong to TreasureNet once the enter key is used. Whole sale deleting of posts damages the threads they are in.

I seriously doubt [that issues like this are resolved by letting posters modify their previous posts at will].

On the contrary, the issue is usually "resolved" by imposing a time limit on editing, after that you'd better be happy with it because its not going to be removed.
Once you post comments in the ether, you don't "own" them, where'd you ever come up with a notion like that ?

A time limit on editing of posts has been added to forum.

January 20, 2017 A New Beginning!

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
How long is that time limit, please?
On one I am a member of it is 30 minutes, another it is several weeks.

CC_IN_CA

Jun 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Tecknetics Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Threads and posts belong to TreasureNet once the enter key is used. Whole sale deleting of posts damages the threads they are in.

35 posts in 12 years. There's a reason for that.

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How long is that time limit, please?
On one I am a member of it is 30 minutes, another it is several weeks.
Longer than 30 mins, less than a week.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have total respect for a post like this, thank you for your comment.

Hey, when I'm wrong I'm wrong, I usually have no problem admitting it.
I have no right to judge something I haven't seen/read myself. I was going 2nd hand off other opinions and thats not how I roll, so I'm glad you caught that.
People can get caught up during fast moving "debates" and say things they normally would not say.

From what I can gather, or guess, about that one chopped up thread is people were getting on him about returning a class ring.
If I am in error please forgive me but no matter what caused this it is the same.

[snipped to condense space]

Deleting posts and getting upset about this issue and how a few people react is useless...it has happened in the past, it still does happen and will always happen as long as these forums are around.
As you can see this type of hissy fit can also have other repercussions.

Best just to think what you want to think, act mature and have a thick hide as a barrier against those that don't agree.

Well written.
I did see that thread and commented in it I think, I could not see where there was a problem ,,, But what may irk and even infuriate me might bounce right off you and vice versa, so whos to say ? As you say, whatever it was that set him off could of and would have happened on any forum, I don't think there is particularly a group of insidious, bullying people here compared to other forums - Though being more populated than most other similar forums may intensify the reactions and comments to a degree.

Class rings can be a can of worms ,, I haven't found many, the 3 I found I tried 2 returns with 1 success and never posted about any of them for no particular reason. Sometimes I find a junk ring and find that post worthy, other times I'll find gold and never get around to posting it, probably more a matter of my work/family schedule at that particular time. But yeah that can be a hot button issue. I saw and took part in a major flame war that broke out over a guy detecting an old cemetery.
You would think condemnation of that would be near universal but it wasn't and people were going at each other left and right. Sneaking around off limit places/climbing fences ect can also be pretty contentious, anyone who starts or takes part in a thread like that, regardless of forums, should be prepared to take some heat.

A time limit on editing of posts has been added to forum.

Good news, does come with its own set of headaches but by far, better than the unlimited option.
People need to realize that, barring exceptional circumstances, what is said can be clarified or expanded on, but not unsaid.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ok so he was a forum friend of yours and you are sad he is gone, I get that.
You don't care for me on the other hand, and can do without reading my posts - Considering I didn't even know you existed until yesterday, I'm pretty sure I can live with that ,, And you do have the ignore option as well just to be on the safe side.
So lets call that good and move on, you know my opinion I know yours, further bickering is pointless.

Agreed

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found one class ring and I have plenty of time to return it if I choose. As far as right now I'm just gonna look at it for awhile, maybe forever who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Longer than 30 mins, less than a week.

So, why is it some giant secret? It would make a lot more sense to tell people up front they have XXX time edit their posts in case they wanted to add pics, or realize they need to correct a typo or any of the other normal reasons for editing?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread