Deleting Posts And Threads Because Your Mad And Pitching A Tantrum

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When a member gets angry and decides to start deleting all their posts and threads like some little kid pitching a tantrum, when we catch it we will ban the member. When someone starts deleting all their posts they put huge holes in TreasureNets threads...

A member decides they want to leave and there is no discussing it, be an adult and just leave, don't act like some little kid pitching a fit...

Skippy SH13 is banned.

January 20, 2017 A New Beginning!

Last edited:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kinda gives a whole new meaning to taking all your toys and going home like a [fill in the blank]! Glad this started! Will sure make things a lot better for the rest of us. Thanks mods!!!

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel bad for any member who feels like they don't belong, or always feels like they are being singled out for only bad press and not good.

I have belonged to many forums over the years, and have only noticed a few instances where a few select members have got out of control. In those instances I too have even noticed that the mods would let things slide, and slide and slide until there is a point of no return.

However for the most part the few forums that I have long belonged to, are great to be a part of, and the mods do a great job keeping the peace.

I am/have been a mod at a forum for years now, and there is a fine balance between letting things work themselves out and having to step in.

The onus sometimes though is for the member to report those posts to a mod so that they can look into it, and speak to offending posters.

I can't speak of this site, but the one/s that I have been a mod on are volunteer positions, and we just can't be in every thread all the time.

I agree that if there is blatant abuse and a mod has posted right afterwards, but hasn't commented, then it's because 1 of two things.

Either the mod didn't find that it broke the rules, or that it was more in jest than spitefulness.

Again if you feel like you are being harshly spoken to, PM a mod, that's what we/they are here for.

I personally like to have fun and (in my mind anyway) make what I think are funny and harmless replies to peoples posts, however if they haven't been taken as such I would expect to either get called out for it by the OP, or at the very least sent a PM.

These types of forums are supposed to be a place to meet with likeminded hobbyists, to share our finds, enthusiasms, gain knowledge, or just to unwind and have a few laughs.

Sometimes other stresses in life may make comments here seem worse than what they are, but it's sad to see that it can chase a member away.
It's sad to see that it can make a member delete all their previous posts, as it creates a problem for the forum and the information held within.
If you want to leave a final message and then never come back, then I can respect that, but I find it difficult to accept that somebody would delete all that information.

I don't know you, but I wish you and your son well and hope that you find another place where you can share your enjoyment with others

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep an eye out for Skippy SH14.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't been here long but for the time I have I sure don't have the time, patience, or energy to go and delete all my replies and threads......Holy Crap that would be insane. Anyway I keep a good sense of humor and I jest with most of my posts but not to rattle the cage to aggravation. And if I do I hope they will forgive me.....

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
I too have been a mod elsewhere on a volunteer basis and have run into the types that outright claim ownership of all they post. They started throwing around copyright verbiage and attorney nonsense after I banned them for wholesale deleting. Those individuals don't realize they are giving away their own store when they post and that the forum owners technically owns the posts. Forums do give some leeway in deleting, but Treasure Hunter is right when he says it leaves wide holes into threads and in the case of deleting a whole thread they started it also deletes other peoples posts that they don't have a right to do either. Every forum encounters these types and they take advantage of people everywhere they go. True, it varies to one degree or another, but we'll keep it at a minimum and say it's childish.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I never had any problems on here with others, perhaps maybe 1 or 2 when I was new (though I never was rude or defensive and in the end understandings were made). Maybe some stuff people have told me may not settle well with others, though I rarely notice or care at all. There will always be jerks (or another word not appropriate for this site which you can decide:laughing7:) in the world, but also many more nice people too. My advice for people who feel bullied, don't leave because of jerks (which there are very few, and I almost never see them), but stay because of the nice people on here. The nice, helpful people on this site are what make TreasureNet a good place to stay, the people who help you ID finds regularly and congratulate even just a square nail that you find. Some people are a little more sensitive, not that this is a bad thing, and comments may hurt them more than they would for others. Still, just take it with a grain of salt, I doubt there is such thing as a forum without some jerks or trolls. Also, if you get very angry or upset, wait a while to calm down and realize how stupid the whole situation is before you make a huge long ranting thread about it. If you do what skippy did people will probably think you are a raving lunatic. Sorry if I sounded like a cheesy 9th grade teacher giving a speech about bullying :laughing7:.

Last edited:

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Also, deleting all you posts (Who has time for that?!), is downright immature and a complete waste of time, especially when you have around 1500 posts. With that time he could research a few places to metal detect or do some actual metal detecting. It's weird seeing threads that pretty much start with, "I HATE EVERYONE, DELETED BY ME", and then 4 pages of posts after that (unfortunately impossible to fully piece together due to missing original post). Kind of like me ripping apart every W&E Treasures magazine because of an article I wrote there, even though I sold it to them.

Last edited:

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1) I hate that Skippy is gone and that he felt the need to delete some of his stuff.
2) Perhaps someone so motivated could find a link with the deleted posts on the Internet Wayback site.

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Swave, we do not have a problem with members editing or deleting a few posts from time to time, everyone says or posts something they wish they hadn't posted. Our issue is mass deleting of posts, it destroys threads and leaves huge holes in others.

January 20, 2017 A New Beginning!

Last edited:

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I haven't been here long but for the time I have I sure don't have the time, patience, or energy to go and delete all my replies and threads......Holy Crap that would be insane. Anyway I keep a good sense of humor and I jest with most of my posts but not to rattle the cage to aggravation. And if I do I hope they will forgive me.....

At 30 seconds a post that would take you 47 hours to do, have fun!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ask the admin if there is an edit time-out feature. Lots of forums I have been on have a 1 hour limit to edit your post. After that its locked and can only be modified by admin or moderator. Something to consider anyway.

I'm kinda shocked to see skippy do that, I don't remember him having any problems before. The world spins on regardless.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Ask the admin if there is an edit time-out feature. Lots of forums I have been on have a 1 hour limit to edit your post. After that its locked and can only be modified by admin or moderator. Something to consider anyway.

I'm kinda shocked to see skippy do that, I don't remember him having any problems before. The world spins on regardless.

Yup on a coin forum I am a member of it is 4 hours, then your post is locked. May be a good idea if someone tries to do what skippy did.

I also edit posts a lot, mostly shortly after posting them because I realized I spelled something wrong, or made a bad word choice and don't want to seem like a 2nd grader typing for the first time.

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1) I hate that Skippy is gone and that he felt the need to delete some of his stuff.
2) Perhaps someone so motivated could find a link with the deleted posts on the Internet Wayback site.

Somebody found the Wayback machine?!

wayback.jpg

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm sorry to see this from anyone.

And especially from a really good member like Skippy has demonstrated in the past. People freak out, we're all prone to do that.

It doesn't make it any better though, knowing that. This is one of them things you'd wished would never happen. But it did.

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
We did have to put in a time limit, but 1 hour is quite short. This feature would limit what can be deleted. Having it too short in time for modification can add to the burden of moderators because they need assistance on the thread or post now.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
You have to remember, although it is very sad to see him leave, he got himself there. It was no one's fault that he left the forum other his own, he could have thought things out more before he deleted everything and left (and got banned in the process). Contacted a mod for the problems he was receiving and let them get solved by them, rather than doing what he did and deleting 1.5k posts and dramatically leaving the forum.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We did have to put in a time limit, but 1 hour is quite short. This feature would limit what can be deleted. Having it too short in time for modification can add to the burden of moderators because they need assistance on the thread or post now.

Even a 24 hour cutoff would achieve the goal, just throwing out an idea I have seen.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I missed all the drama...
So long Skippy, you were always a gentleman and friend to me. I wish you the best, hope you return someday...
Your friend, Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread