Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I was doing my regular evening research today, after driving to a few of my places I found last week to see if they are accessible and public (before my online map crashed), I had awesome luck, every one I went to (including my first old road) were accessible and public! Anyways, I did an overlay and found a huge abandoned segment of the huge main road going through that town, public too! That segment connects with another abandoned road which has a homestead on it. That is not the good part yet, though still pretty good. The road the connected with the abandoned segment connects with another small road. I saw it on the Google Earth overlay and thought the extremely old map was just drawn weird. But every intersection and even a river matched up perfectly. I went to street view on the part where the map becomes weird. To my surprise there are a path that goes off into the woods forming what I saw on the old map. The road I saw on Google Earth is just a remade section of it! And guess what? On the original section of the road, which is only a quarter mile long, there are 3 homesteads! There are 3 entrances to the old section, one on another abandoned road and 2 on the new part of the road. I doubt anyone has been here since it was abandoned, the entrances are extremely tricky to find and you need to do insane research to find it. Has anyone ever heard of rebuilt sections of old road or had any luck there.

If you change the Google Image date of that area you can find some images that perfectly show the old section going through the woods.

I can't wait for Spring! This will be the first year I researched sites, my past sites were just extremely lucky guesses (one guess contained the location of the first meeting house in it's town, luckiest guess ever!)

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sheesh, I thought this was about fishing

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
sheesh, I thought this was about fishing

Dirt fishing, my friend...
holy-carp-final.jpg

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recall fondly my young carp fishing days

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep. They will eat almost anything, I think the preferred bait for carp is cigarette butts.

Pumkinseeds and Bluegills too, I caught a tons of them when I was 9 or 10 with a paper clip I bent into a hook shape and sharpened the end with a pair of pliers, the "hook" was tied to a piece of yarn. For bait I used big ants, though even the extra stand around the hook of yard was enough get them to bite (Which I remember working a few times). I never actually cooked any, just looked at them in a bucket filled with water and released them. Unfortunately I was asked to leave by the lifeguard, I forgot to mention that this was at a public swimming hole. I came back on days when that life guard wasn't there and fished again there, impressing all the other kids by catching fish with my "fishing rod" lol :laughing7:.

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My stepson does the carp tournaments here in New York.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now you've got your first target for thaw! And I now have to do some looking around here to see if there is anything like that left that isn't built on, in National Forest or on private property. Sounds a bit more interesting than hitting the parks that have been beat to death.

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Now that's the way to treasure hunt. Best of luck on those old homestead properties.

Thanks! I found out that all but one of the three homesteads were gone before 1880, but there after 1845. This may put the in the 1700's range if I am lucky. Hopefully there will be clear cellar holes there so I know where to hunt for best results. I made a map of every homestead site in my whole town, probably around 30 I mapped out, all at least before the mid 1800's or so. A lot of them were gone by the time my 1880's map was made. I even wrote on my map when each is from, how accessible it is, if it is public and how many time I double checked the overlay for it to see if it matched up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread