Metal detecting the beach?

Detecto

Mar 25, 2016
Detector(s) used
White's MXT ALL PRO 13" Detech and Eclipse 950 Coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Between now and the start of college I plan on going to Florida..as part of my vacation and to go metal detecting.

While there are tons of tips and things like that, what are the chance of finding gold?

I know nobody can give an accurate answer, but let's say I spend 5 days in Florida, and spend 2 hours per morning, and an hour at night beachcombing.

That makes a total of 15 hours. Would I go home with...(the answer you pick is what you think the odds are).

A. Nothing.

B. 1-2 gold rings.

C. A small handful of gold rings

I'm not going down there with dollar signs in my eyes looking to get rich, but I just want to know what the typical results are.

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My opinion is that those are incalculable odds.

There are so many beaches, with so many detectorists, and the potential for so many lost rings and things.

I've been to some pretty big beaches with loads of tourists, and have yet to find a gold ring.

I've been walking through the forest on a foot path, and found a 14k ring, so who knows?

I would say your odds of finding a ring on a beach are far greater than finding one where I did, but I'm afraid there is no rhyme or reason as to where and how to find them.

If you don't get your coil out there and aren't afraid to dig a zillion ring pull numbers, then I think you're in with a chance.

Good luck.......both at the beach and at college.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You could go home with 20 gold rings but most likely you will get zero. While there is always a chance to find gold and other goodies you have to remember that you don't have the advantage - you are at a huge disadvantage in FL because you are only going to be there for a few days. What if its sanded in? You might not even find pennies. What if its storming/raining? Or the times you can detect are high tides? What if the spot you are going to is hunted by 20 locals who comb it daily? There are just so many things working against you when you are on vacation for a few days that I wouldn't count on finding much. Then again you do see guys going on vaca and coming home with bank. I would more or less just go and detect for fun there, if you find something its just bonus. But dont get your hopes up.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Between now and the start of college I plan on going to Florida..as part of my vacation and to go metal detecting.

While there are tons of tips and things like that, what are the chance of finding gold?

I know nobody can give an accurate answer, but let's say I spend 5 days in Florida, and spend 2 hours per morning, and an hour at night beachcombing.

That makes a total of 15 hours. Would I go home with...(the answer you pick is what you think the odds are).

A. Nothing.

B. 1-2 gold rings.

C. A small handful of gold rings

I'm not going down there with dollar signs in my eyes looking to get rich, but I just want to know what the typical results are.

I'm going to go with, D) Lots of pulltabs, bottlecaps, wire bread bag ties, bobbypins, clad coins, maybe an Iphone or Ipod, and a junk toe ring.

You have a single-frequency VLF, so the wet sand and in the water (at low tide) is going to be out of the picture for the most part. Your best chance at gold or silver will be identifying an area 50-60 feet long x 30 feet wide at the "Towel Line," where folks just left for the evening, and gridding it North to South, then East to West.

Here's hoping you come home with a hand full of gold and silver! Oh, and get a dry sand scoop! :skullflag:

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's TreasurePro, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 + TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In 6 trips and about 24-30 hours at a popular local Gulf coast beach, I scored $4.99 in clad. Total. No gold, no silver. Lots (and I mean lots) of pull tabs, beaver tails, bobby pins, and a few AA batteries. It's early in the season still, and other than Spring Break, the beaches have been relatively quiet. I consider this my 'learning to read the beach' and practice time.

A lot will depend on the time of year you go, and how popular the beach you pick is with the crowds that are active and that wear jewelry. Teenagers are very active, but don't wear too much in the way of real jewelry, old folks aren't active, but wear lots of real jewelry. So (IMO), you're hoping it's a beach with the 30-40 yr age group that are active enough, and not slick enough to realize jewelry comes off easily in the water, or dopey enough to shake out the jewelry laden beach blanket without grabbing their jewelry first.

So my guess will be A) - nada

But as long as you go with the mindset that you're going to have fun, pick up some clad, and keep in the back of your mind that there's always the hope of gold, you'll be fine. Just don't set out determined to find gold, and if you do, it'll be awesome.

HH!

I'm Hoping

Feb 19, 2017
Ft.Myers, FL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Answer:A. Lots of beach re-nourishment going on lately in SW Florida.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If one doesn't detect then their is no chance of finding anything! Go and give it your best shot !

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not to thread hijack, but I heard gold is in the foil range. My wife's white gold ring shows 22-24 on my F75. I've also heard that they come in around a pull tab as far up to mid tones.......do they just vary from those ranges? I've been digging those targets but get tired of digging junk. Which isn't a good combo, lol!

Mr. B

Mar 23, 2017
SW Fla.
Detector(s) used
2-Exal 2s Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With a little beginners luck, maybe 1. It seems, at least to me you can figure on 500 or so can tabs, bottle caps, keys etc. to one ring. Good Luck.

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's TreasurePro, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 + TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not to thread hijack, but I heard gold is in the foil range. My wife's white gold ring shows 22-24 on my F75. I've also heard that they come in around a pull tab as far up to mid tones.......do they just vary from those ranges? I've been digging those targets but get tired of digging junk. Which isn't a good combo, lol!

It's my understanding that gold can come in all over the place, as there is no consistency in the alloys used along with the gold. So a 14kt will ring in differently from an 18kt, which will be different from a 10kt, which will differ from white gold.

It's frustrating, and I know how you feel, but they say you have to dig the pulltabs, foil, and nickels to find the gold. Yay!

antiphonus

Feb 24, 2013
London
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I detect mainly in the UK, but I took an Excal out once on Long Island and found a white gold and diamond engagement/wedding ring combo that had just been lost: https://exchequerofwords.wordpress.com/2015/10/16/american-summer-and-english-autumn/

The new bride was ecstatic, and it was a great feeling to help. If I hadn't happened along though, another detectorist might have found it that evening or the next morning.

I don't have beach experience as such, but like they say, you gotta walk over it! Go for it and let us know how you get on!

bakkhoe

Jan 26, 2017
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Equinox800; F75 ltd2; V3i; Tiger Shark; DeLeon; Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You could go home with 20 gold rings but most likely you will get zero. While there is always a chance to find gold and other goodies you have to remember that you don't have the advantage - you are at a huge disadvantage in FL because you are only going to be there for a few days. What if its sanded in? You might not even find pennies. What if its storming/raining? Or the times you can detect are high tides? What if the spot you are going to is hunted by 20 locals who comb it daily? There are just so many things working against you when you are on vacation for a few days that I wouldn't count on finding much. Then again you do see guys going on vaca and coming home with bank. I would more or less just go and detect for fun there, if you find something its just bonus. But dont get your hopes up.

+1 I totally agree. Your chance of finding gold during that short time are less than 50%. The people you see finding multiple rings are few and far between. You need to know the beaches, tides, where the beach gets cut out during stormy weather. There are hundreds of guys out there going out every day looking for beach treasure. You MIGHT get lucky and go to the right place on the right day, but you might also win power-ball. Go, and hunt as much as is fun for you, and enjoy the vacation. I hope you find some nice things and have some good stories to share.... but do have fun.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
I have been there a few times and hit a few beaches, probably totalled 4 hours hunting. Not bad since they were all work trips.

I found some clad, lots of bottle caps, hair pins and zero gold rings.

Since the gold rings reside in the same target response zone as most junk, finding gold rings will be a numbers game if you exclude the element of luck.

Beezly

Mar 20, 2017
Finger Lakes, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold,
BH Land Ranger Pro,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Minelab Equinox 900,
Whites TRX,
Minelab ProFind 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you might find one, especially if you at least try :thumbsup: the fun is in the hunt either way. I'm still happy with a pouch of junk, less chance of a young human cutting their feet. I find people are more impressed by a bag of nasty metal being carried out and disposed of than a bag of goodies. Good luck and have fun!

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To answer your question, YES, dig everything if you want to find gold.

I can't begin to tell you the zillions and zillions of ring pulls, bottle caps, and pull tabs I've carted away.

I've collected enough foil over the years that I could probably wrap a city block in it, but I will still stop and check it if it shows up on my screen.

Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread