New product idea.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently pitched an idea to the iStretch Cable Company about making a set of their earbuds with a 1/4" plug for the metal detecting community.

Personally I think they could be the next big thing in metal detecting accessories. I hate wearing headphones during the hot summer months but hate when I yank earbuds out of my ears too.

I know there are a few wireless options available but they tend to be quite pricey and user reviews are mixed, and don't solve the problem of being hot.

Anyway I wanted to know what others think of my idea?

Also if you think my idea for stretchable metal detecting earbuds would be worthwhile, please feel free to contact and encourage them to push this idea forward into production.
www.istretchcable.com
Thanks and happy hunting
Icewing

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are currently wireless transmitters and receivers on the market that can be used with your existing headphones and earbuds.

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Bounty Hunter Platinum (back up)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The wireless transmitter costs about $12-15 on eBay. $25 at best buy. Mine worked well and the cordless freedom was awesome!

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure there are wireless units but that's more hardware, more batteries, more electrical noise to overcome, and more weight to swing around. I'm talking about simple light weight plug and play operation, with no delay or reliability issues.

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
why not buy their ear buds and buy a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter for a $1 or $2?

OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
why not buy their ear buds and buy a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter for a $1 or $2?

You seem to be missing my point.
The more connections you have to make the more places that connection can fail.

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Without going to the company's site to read about their other products, I would guess that the market for ear buds with a 1/4 plug would be very limited. Most people would prefer to just use an adapter rather then waiting for a company to develop a new product. If having an adapter on the end of your cable is a problem, just remove the smaller connector and put a larger one on. You could even make is a small business for yourself, retrofitting high end ear buds with 1/4 inch plugs.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'd like to see ear buds on a headband
With inline volume control and lightweight coiled cord or the stretch cord Icewing mentions. Headband earbuds stay in well but are almost weightless.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For around $5 you can purchase an 1/4 adapter that allows you to use earbuds or lightweight smaller headphones on your detector. Try electronics stores like Best Buy or online.

Beezly

Mar 20, 2017
Finger Lakes, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold,
BH Land Ranger Pro,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Minelab Equinox 900,
Whites TRX,
Minelab ProFind 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Icewing, I think your idea has potential. It wouldn't be something I'd use personally, I hate things in my ears. The comments so far have a point that its too easy to buy an adapter, and cheap. You have a good point too that more connections are a bad idea. Not everyone is handy enough to know how easy it is to splice a 1/4" jack into the earbuds. I think if people had an option to buy them premade with heavy duty wires some would. Its not a bad idea, my question is how would they keep from being yanked on?

OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a set of earbuds that I had to come back and brag on them. They aren't exactly what I had in mind but they do the job much better than I expected. They are made by Avantree and have a light weight (16 foot) stretchy coil type cord that prevents yanking them from your ears when you stand up without you machine in hand. They unfortunately only have the small plug, and I recommend wrapping the first few inches of the cord with tape to keep from kinking the cord at the plug if your detector tips over. To be fair I think that's where almost all corded headphones tend to fail. As for the sound quality they are great for hearing those subtle difference in tones. And the sound great plugged into my phone rocking out to John Jet, 'I Love Rock 'N' Roll'.

I'm not going to post a link or promote any seller, I just wanted to reccomend what I feel is a product worth mentioning.

FWest

Jun 27, 2017
Detector(s) used
EQ 600, ORX, TDI SL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The wireless transmitter costs about $12-15 on eBay. $25 at best buy. Mine worked well and the cordless freedom was awesome!

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

What set up are you using ?

Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread