My first park ejection

Lafitte

Apr 20, 2007
Western NC
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 Sore Legs
I figure it would happen sooner or later.
I was in a city park with my gear, heading down a path to my next spot. I passed a park ranger who was talking to a man and his son. I said hello as I walked by. The ranger turned to me and told me that MDing was not allowed in city parks.
I replied that, in fact, it is allowed. Since she seemed pretty calm about it, I was about to go ahead and leave. Then she said: "It's because off all the turf damage, and you people taking things that belong to the public."
I almost whipped out my copy of the city park regulations and started a nice argument. However, I realized that she was probably trying to impress the people she was talking to. I told her that "we people" do not damage parks, then bit my tongue and stomped off.
Sheesh. We people.
Yup, all those pulltabs, nails, glass shards, hypos, and can-slaw sure do belong to the public. It may be the last time I throw any of that in the nearest trash can.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't argue with these brain dead people. It doesn't help to show them the junk you picked up, all they think of is the holes they saw that some idoit newbie left in the grass. If someone carries a shovel in a park, there should be a bounty on their head that we can collect.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to know what you people take that belongs to the public? :o I don't know if I could have held my tongue with that one! Typical power trip. ::)

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois
If I know I am in the right, there is no way I am backing down. If it happends again, show her the rules. If she continues to deny you access, demand to speak to her superior.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Walk away today and embarrass her another day. 8) AA

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
I agree with the "power trip" post, it's one of those I have this uniform "barney fife" type attitudes. You should have asked, aren't we people the public too.

rommelvon

Jul 21, 2007
I had the excact opposite encounter today, the park ranger came over to me and asked if I had found anything, I said just a few coins, he asked about my detector, where I like to go etc....he said he was wanting to get one, he said good luck, have a good day and went about his business.....nice chap he was

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah......if the earths gravity was not so strong the "things" would be floating all around, and stuff would be all over the park........."ah excuse me ranger you got a pull tab in your hair"......

anyway..........

moron
type: female

next subject........

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Had that happen once as well. I had permission, was told I could detect. Park Ranger cmae up and was very polite and said No hunting. I gave a permission slip and he said he didn't care. I showed what I had found as in junk and as he was looking I called HIS boss. I ended up hunting the rest of the day. He came by a couple weeks later and we talked, very friendly but he assumed we destroyed property and I think I helped change his mind, well, maybe a little!! Problem is, is that others do destroy and they SEE that and we are bunched together and all pay!!

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
You should have given your trash right there and let them throw it away if they felt that way about it.

Hey Buddy, a lot of better places to hunt will come along.

Give me the address of the superior and I'll give em my to Wheaties worth.

OD

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've only had one person complain to me. I had a female type citizen come up to me and complain about metal detectorists digging holes in the park and went on to show me where squirrels had been digging! I told her I agreed with her 100% but told her squirrel hunting was illegal in the city park. I think it went right over her head because she got this puzzled look on her face and walked away grumbling to herself. She was looking for a confrontation I guess and didn't know how to respond to me agreeing with her. Monty

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, that is why it is always important to be sure and fill your holes..when you leave even you should not be able to tell where you dug...
and i hate squirrels..hunted a yard and the lady called me the next day and was upset that i had not filled my holes.I knew i had so iwent back and refilled them..as we were talking on her deck a darn tree rat came down and went to where i had filled in a hole and dug it out!!!! I guess he mthought i had buried food there???

Tony M SE IA

Sep 25, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minealab Explorer2
:o We people ? are we not the Public also? Wow not sure if i could have held back. :-\

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions