My first and last transaction with kellyco.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, some folks will launch a crusade about nearly anything... Acting like you were harmed in some way by Kellyco's actions. Not a big deal, get over it

Tying up $160 of someone's hard earned money is a big deal to some people. Items always need to be delivered ASAP. If an item is out of stock, the vendor should give the buyer the option of a full refund.

Mistakes happen, but they need to make it right for this customer. Anyone who sells anything knows that the customer is always right. You won't be in business long if you don't adhere to that motto...

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... Anyone who sells anything knows that the customer is always right.....

Sure, but the other "motto" in life is that: Humans make mistakes.

And since businesses are run by humans, sometimes we need to practice a little patience. Give-&-take, etc... Sure, point it out, but .... Pick your battles.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How long should the public have 'a little patience' with someone who shows stuff in stock when it isn't? I have seen this issue happening at an unnamed dealer that dates back months and in one instance over a year.
Asking this as a theoretical matter, not bashing the vendor in question in this post; days? weeks? months? years?

I'm all for giving folks a fair chance, but at some point they just don't deserve my business anymore.
ymmv; obviously some folks have a high tolerance for this kind of thing. I guess that's how some folks stay in business.....and lotsa advertising, of course.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Champ, I'm sure they're reputable enough that they'd refund your money for this "inexcusable offense". After reading your post #24, let's just cut the chase: Sure, you'll simply have to take your business somewhere else. To you, this is intolerable.

We all know Kellyco is sort of the "Kmart" of metal detectors. As opposed to being the "Macys" of metal detecting. And there is nothing wrong with either business model. If you want the bargain deals, you go to Kmart. Sure their not glamorous. The bathrooms will be un-tidy. The cash register lines long and noisy. Stains on the floor of mis-matched tiles, etc... Or you can go to Macys and buy the same exact pair of Levi jeans for $8 more. But the bathrooms are spotless. The employees more dapper. The service more lickety-split, etc..... Yet in each case, you got the same exact pair of jeans.

You just have to have a bit of patience when you're going to the 'big box' dealer for a bargain. If you don't (and I'm not justifying their "egregious offense"), then sure: You'll need to take your business elsewhere.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I repeat, 2nd hand hearsay is not allowed on supporting vendor threads.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I repeat, 2nd hand hearsay is not allowed on supporting vendor threads.

Do you REALLY want me to link to those posts and provide a live example of one of your sponsors' continued failure to act on a known problem? I haven't done that as I don't think the site or sponsor would like it.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tom, I'll accept your answer via PM if you care to give one. My question to you in #24 was not answered. Analogies to divert the discussion don't qualify as an answer.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first metal detector was purchased through Kellyco. My Whites DFX 300 kit. I had no problems with them. Since then I have resorted to buying my gear off E-bay used but, in great condition. I save lots of money over retail price and have never received any damaged or misrepresented items. Lot's of folks try this sport thinking they'll find silver and gold right away and sell their stuff soon after realizing this isn't the reality of metal detecting. Why pay retail when you can treasure hunt for gear from auction sights or Craigslist?

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My first metal detector was purchased through Kellyco. My Whites DFX 300 kit. I had no problems with them. Since then I have resorted to buying my gear off E-bay used but, in great condition. I save lots of money over retail price and have never received any damaged or misrepresented items. Lot's of folks try this sport thinking they'll find silver and gold right away and sell their stuff soon after realizing this isn't the reality of metal detecting. Why pay retail when you can treasure hunt for gear from auction sights or Craigslist?

Depends.
If you are getting an entry level $200 special doesn't really matter.
If you are getting a $1-$2k top end detector where a repair or coil might cost as much or more than an entry level detector, then most people would want to pony up the extra $$ to buy new with a warranty unless they can find the one they want used at a very substantial discount.
Too, some detectors tend to hold their value more than others, so there are a whole set of variables buying new vs used.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... My question to you in #24 was not answered......

How long should the public have 'a little patience' with someone who shows stuff in stock when it isn't? I have seen this issue happening at an unnamed dealer that dates back months and in one instance over a year.
Asking this as a theoretical matter, not bashing the vendor in question in this post; days? weeks? months? years? .....

For starters, when some seller advertises that something is "in stock", be aware that their definition of "in stock" could be that their UP-LINE has it. Sure, that's sloppy thinking (because what if the up-line is mistaken, and doesn't have it right now after all) . But ... just sayin' .... this is also a semantics issue as well.

Ok, you now acknowledge that ... yes ... you need to exercise a little patience. Thank you Champ for acknowledging that. But now you want an exact definition of "just how long that should be". Eg.: "days, weeks, months, years ?" As if anyone here can give you an exact answer like "5 days, 7 hrs, 23 minutes, and 12 seconds" before you can raise h*ll and slam your fist down ? Is that what you want to hear ? I wish there were a magic answer. But let's just cut to the chase: You're right that you need to be shopping elsewhere.

You will DEFINITELY get your $$ back from them. If you didn't and never got your item, THEN come back on here with THAT level of egregiousness.

Electricfrontporch

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always a good idea to call any company and confirm availability before you purchase.
Even on eBay you can message and inquire about stock vs. drop ship.
I guess I'm old fashioned but I like to have a name and contact with the business.

Noah

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you REALLY want me to link to those posts and provide a live example of one of your sponsors' continued failure to act on a known problem? I haven't done that as I don't think the site or sponsor would like it.

The issue is between Detecto and KC. You stated "I read multiple reports on the internet of a recurring problem" , that is hearsay...

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
The issue is between Detecto and KC. You stated "I read multiple reports on the internet of a recurring problem" , that is hearsay...

Also keep in mind, that ANY company as big as Kellyco , will OF COURSE invariably have mistakes and issues. If you pick ANY large company in the USA (even highly regarded top-notch loved companies) and search long enough: Gauranteed you can find "unhappy customers" with some axe to grind. But go figure: the more transactions ANY company processes, then the more the odds go up that someone, somewhere, will find something they didn't like. And sure, it can be a valid complaint.

Versus some small mom & pops dude who sells detectors out of his garage at 1 every other week, well go figure, you're not going to find "as many complaints". It's all just in the odds of the amount of traffic that passes through a portal. So even if someone could show "multiple other dis-satisfied customers" you also have to fairly ask: "How many satisfied customers were there, to put into comparison to that ?"

ky keith

Dec 23, 2008
Ft. Myers Florida/ Western N.C.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Minelab Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always a good idea to call any company and confirm availability before you purchase.
Even on eBay you can message and inquire about stock vs. drop ship.
I guess I'm old fashioned but I like to have a name and contact with the business.

Noah
But thats the whole idea of ordering things on line. So you don't have to go to a store, make phone calls etc.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I think this is so petty to air out your trivial grievance on line in an attempt to discredit. sad. LOL I got that from the President.....so sad!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yup, bought my AT Pro used online for around $500. It was in near mint shape and has worked perfectly since I bought it last October.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends.
If you are getting an entry level $200 special doesn't really matter.
If you are getting a $1-$2k top end detector where a repair or coil might cost as much or more than an entry level detector, then most people would want to pony up the extra $$ to buy new with a warranty unless they can find the one they want used at a very substantial discount.
Too, some detectors tend to hold their value more than others, so there are a whole set of variables buying new vs used.

Mine is still under warranty until November of this year, so that's not an issue if you buy one that's not too old. Easy enough to ask the seller when they bought it, so you'll know if it's still under warranty.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can accept that point of view. I guess I should have been more specific about what grade of detectors can be had for considerably less than retail through other means. I suppose you take a gamble with any electronic piece of equipment buying used without a warranty. I've been fortunate so far and have never had to return any of the several machines or various gear purchased used. Have a great day.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can now see what this is all about so I will bow out.

I am surprised and I guess I was a bit naïve. I really did think better of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions