Must have tools for MDing

Hammer287

Mar 28, 2017
Northwest Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After waiting decades to purchase a metal detector I ordered one today. I'm curious as to what tools are paramount for beginning detecting. I plan on starting out on my property and in the local woods. Later this season I'll hit the beaches. What are the must have tools specifically brand and or design for trowels, "Garden knives" and shovels do you recommend. Thanks for anyone that has time help me out

OP
OP
H

Hammer287

Mar 28, 2017
Northwest Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I said Garden Nieves I was specifically thinking of the Garrett knife tool but I have seen on YouTube

OP
OP
H

Hammer287

Mar 28, 2017
Northwest Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great first impression I must be making. I am using the voice feature on my iPhone and once again forgot to proofread before I submitted. My ex-wife thinks I'm a knucklehead, but I'm really not. :)

gusnuts

Mar 10, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO, PRO-POINTER AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would highly suggest getting a good pin pointer. I have the Garrett Pro-Pointer AT (water proof and bright orange so its easy to see if you put it down). For properties such as parks and private property I would suggest a small digger like a Lesche. For woods and fields it is nice to have a larger shovel and for beaches I would suggest picking up a long handle scoop. HH

Last edited:

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Plastic garden trowel. Keeps from gouging item. $2 at local building supply store

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
download (2).jpeg
Welcome to t-net.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
A decent pouch that can hold garbage with separate pockets for finds...

There are some nice ones available in the classified section.

I have one and it is great.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started this hobby on a small budget. For finds, I use a nail apron, they cost a dollar or less at the big name do it yourself stores, you may have one in the garage.

I bought a 2 ft shovel that cost under $10. Some sites I only use my hand digger (manicured lawns and highly visible parks), but others a shovel is okay to use. They can last forever as long as you pull on the shaft if you need to use it as a prying tool. I also would look out on trash days and would pull handles off of old snow shovels as replacement handles. Heck a replacement handle cost's more than the shovel.

755625009180lg.jpg

A pin pointer was not a necessity when I started, but I will not hunt without one now. Be sure to get a good one, I have 2 Garrett pin pointers, one black and one orange.

A cheap pair of headphones will help your battery life and allow you to hear the tones better than using the speaker on the detector.

I started with a garden trowel, but as soon as I tried a Lesche hand digger I was hooked. If you decide to get one, make sure you buy the one with the teeth on the side you will be digging towards. I dig clockwise and am right handed so the teeth are on the left hand side.

I like to wear gloves and get a 10 pack at the big name do it yourself stores for $10. You can find them loose at some stores for a buck or 2 a pair.

662909947857lg.jpg

OP
OP
H

Hammer287

Mar 28, 2017
Northwest Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you to everyone that replied. Such great advice. I look forward to hearing more. Once again, thank you all. This is my first day on the site and my first post so what a warm welcome. Thank you again

diverrick

Jan 18, 2011
Vacaville, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Eureka gold
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a leather pouch on my hip. A pinpointer, and plastic scoop for sorting material. A fine straight blade screwdriver and a lesche shovel with serrated edges. I need to add a pair of rose clippers for cutting the roots. The pouch hold all the tools and all the junk I find. I can also hip mount my detector head on the same belt the pouch is on for ease of swinging this works well for me. Hard to beat the lesche and a good pinpointer. Something else to consider, is make sure all your tools are bright colors. Blacks and browns disappear in the heat of the battle and hard to find while backtracking looking for your lost tools. I get as bright as I can now, much easier to find when dropped or lost.:find: I would like to add a beer carrier but that might be considered excessive to some. Water bottle
pouch helps too.

Last edited:

DannyB.

Jan 20, 2015
Washington/Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Silver UMax
Fisher 1265x
Fisher F75 SE LTD
Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is basically my full kit.. and, what I would and many others would recommend for a basic start up.

I think those items pictured are critical to successful and enjoyable hunting.

Along with the detector and HEADPHONES which of course the headphones are optional..

I hunted.. with only a detector and digger, then digger and pinpointer, then pinpointer and pouch.. lastly I added headphones. I should have just bought them all at once.

If you have the means.. I would recommend this basic set up, it will cover 90% of all hunting situations.

with experience you can fine tune or add the next tool as you see fit...

My opinion.

P.S. Brands of course are all optional, however, there are a few that stand out and I'd go with them.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1490737941.172227.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1490737991.284013.jpg

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Something to consider as an option, often targets are near the surface. I've found this invaluable for a quick recovery. Pin point the target and stick this in the ground up under it and pop it right out without having to dig a plug. It's a big time saver.

An upholstery tack puller.

Tack Puller.jpg

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Don't forget Mace just in case a mean dog appears.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Danny B has a good set of necessary items. Other than those I would say you need a ground cloth if you are going to dig in yards or parks so that you can get all of your dirt back in the hole. And if you intend to dig around water or waters edge you will need a sand/water scoop.

Beezly

Mar 20, 2017
Finger Lakes, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold,
BH Land Ranger Pro,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Minelab Equinox 900,
Whites TRX,
Minelab ProFind 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget your epipen if you're allergic to bees. I did once :BangHead:

FFFPatriot

Feb 21, 2017
Montana
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II, 4 Kidde brand smoke detectors, and 1 carbon monoxide detector I bought from Home Depot (can't remember the brand).
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's my gear set up. Camelbak full of ice cubes and water. I've got a compass on the shoulder strap in front. I NEVER forget toilet paper. Swamp ass and leaf rash ruins a detecting outing in the hills real fast. 20170328_204407.jpg

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you are new let me first start off by saying, practice digging your plus in your backyard first before hitting a public space.

Dig a 3 sided plug and flip it up so that the grass has a chance to come back (and stay in place), rather than digging a full circle plug.

Never use a shovel in a public space unless it's a forest, a beach, or the owner of a property has given permission.

Now onto your question..........

A pin pointer in my opinion is something that I'm glad I bought right away, and will almost never hunt without it.

The Bounty Hunter one is cheap, but it's also useless so don't waste your money.

The Garrett carrot (the orange one) is a fan favourite so I would go with that.

Get a good handle digger. People talk about the Lesche digger all the time, but I just use a hori hori knife that I got at a local gardening store and it works great. Wont bend, has a serrated edge on one side so I can cut through roots if they get in the way.

As for a pouch to carry all my finds, I use one of these........

Fanny Pack.JPG

I use one section for my good finds, and the other for the trash. I also carry a plastic bag with me in case I find some bigger stuff.

You can get different versions of the "fanny pack" or "bum bag", but I picked my up at a discount store for $3.00 and have used it for 5 years now.

You don't need to buy a sand scoop or water scoop right away (unless you plan on doing lots of water hunting), a simple shovel will do for the beach and forested areas.

Garden Shovel.jpg

If you want a water scoop then I'm sure one of our vendors here can help you out.

I use a Stavr scoop that I got from Ukraine.

The other thing you will need is extra batteries........don't leave home without them.

Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread