It finally happeneded. need help.

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While detecting yesterday, I broke off one of the ears that the bolt goes through to hold the coil on. Furthermore, I couldn't find the half that broke off. Maybe it went into a hole I filled in. I looked for it for awhile and couldn't find it. Is there any way to repair it? Any help would really be appreciated.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
There are probably several home made fixes but none that I can think of that would last, even if you had the broken piece. That's a high stress area that subject to moisture, dirt, etc.

marticus

Sep 16, 2013
NSW
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
GPX 4500
Garrett Infinium LS
45 inch Coil sled mono
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Seen someone make a new one with a 3d printer and glued it onto the coil. Another i saw used a solid bit of pvc and made it into shape then glued it on.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe
As marticus said, Fab a new ear from pvc or similar plastic. I don't know about this particular application but Gorilla glue is fantastic for sticking stuff together.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Loco, you found it!!! Good gracious my eyes must be failing, or maybe my brain!

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good question. I just noticed the coil was loose and sagging on one side. I don't know how or when it happened. It way have been cracked and finally fell off.
How in the world did you break it?

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Loco. I sent him a PM and waiting to hear back. That would be a great item to keep with you anytime you detect, in case it happens on a hunt that would otherwise be ruined.

John Glad I could help, hope it works great for you. I have 5 coils to choose from, if one breaks, I'm still in the hunt, just a short walk to the van for a quick coil swap, or grab another detector.

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the meantime, I have ordered a NEL coil for the AT Pro so I will have a spare if it happens again. Thanks again, Loco.
John Glad I could help, hope it works great for you. I have 5 coils to choose from, if one breaks, I'm still in the hunt, just a short walk to the van for a quick coil swap, or grab another detector.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I found one at one of my first sites, surprised on how it got there until I looked down at my metal detector and noticed I was missing mine. Probably there for a week without me knowing, I would try and buy a replacement soon so you can get back out. I assume many places sell them, very common part to lose.

FFFPatriot

Feb 21, 2017
Montana
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II, 4 Kidde brand smoke detectors, and 1 carbon monoxide detector I bought from Home Depot (can't remember the brand).
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How in the world did you break it?

They break easy when you use your detector as a pry bar to move a large boulder out of the way, I've noticed.

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never tried that, but that's a thought. Probably leaning on it too hard getting up and down. Dumb!
They break easy when you use your detector as a pry bar to move a large boulder out of the way, I've noticed.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
John, let us know if you get that replacement ear!

Also, I think it would be a great thread starter. You could describe how you felt about it, what you had to do. That way we'd have a "How To" for those of us who go through this. The mods could pin it to the top and always be seen.

Keep the faith!

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rubber washers or coil shaft connector worn down from repeatedly rotating and tightening the coil bolt, resulting in undue stress in the ears and finally breakage.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions