MY FIRST BUTTON I'VE FOUND AND ITS A BANNER FIND FOR ME. I'M STILL ON CLOUD NINE.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you to Trapperart for educating me on what I found toda. I was getting a crazy,it was all over the place,on the ATP. I was on an old property and it was hidden between 7-8 inches and with my new parana I said no problem and then I out pop this. The button was in full tack in the moist Louisiana clay. I went to clean it with water and there was a pesky clump that wouldn't move so I use my finger in the back disintegrated. Rookie mistake hey this is the first button I have a found. New or old. Lol IMG_2109.JPG IMG_2103.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk IMG_2098.JPG

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its very nice despite the damage. Itd look great in one of those 50 state quarter display cases.

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Bounty Hunter Platinum (back up)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome find!!!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Congratz on the button, and good job on the ID Trapperart !

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would date that Marine Corps anywhere from 1870-1920. Although there has been little change in the design of the Marine Corps 2 piece button I have noticed that the droop wing design started around the Indian Wars period. Notice the difference in the way the wings are on the image you included and your button? I love digging Marine Corps buttons, probably because I served in the Marines from 1973-2003.

Don't feel bad about it bursting, Louisiana mud/clay is very hard on relics from my experience. Back in the late 90s I was digging in a construction site in downtown New Orleans and dug a green blob of dirt up that was ringing like a button on my machine. Rookie mistake I bounced the blob off the back of my shovel to shake the dirt off and it burst open. From the inside of the button I could make out a Pelican. I was heart broken, but later figured out that it was so ate up from the elements that it would have been a small miracle to save it anyway. I don't bounce anything off my shovel now except tree roots.

darktower007

Feb 21, 2017
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus/Vaquero/At Max/fisher f70/carrot pen pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buttons rock! Great find[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread