THIS IS JUST NUTS

FFFPatriot

Feb 21, 2017
Montana
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II, 4 Kidde brand smoke detectors, and 1 carbon monoxide detector I bought from Home Depot (can't remember the brand).
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

FFFPatriot

Feb 21, 2017
Montana
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II, 4 Kidde brand smoke detectors, and 1 carbon monoxide detector I bought from Home Depot (can't remember the brand).
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I got a funny squirrel story for you fellers. About 15 years ago, I did a roof tear off for a friend of mine. He had a few squirrels that entered his attic of the old house he had through an opening in the eaves. A few of them were running rampid at night, keeping him awake at night. He was a white collared guy who " had a heart" for those little guys, and had 4 Havaheart traps set up in his yard, and asked that at the end of the days that I was working at his place, that I would take the traps home with me and turn then loose at my place ( he lived in the city and I lived in the country). So being the jokester that I am, I released the trapped squirrels that he had at his place, took the traps home with me and brought back 4 more squirrels the next day for the next 3-4 days, and turned them loose in the mornings at his place.
A few days later, on a weekend (his day off from work), I rang his doorbell later in the morning, and he answered with the most bloodshed eyes and tired face I've ever seen. He said he doesn't know what the hell is going on in his attic, but it sounds like there's 50 squirrels running around up there! I laughed so hard inside that I think I may have suffered a slight stroke.

USMC Reaper

May 23, 2015
Abbeville, S.C.
Detector(s) used
MineLab CTX 3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have many fond childhood memories of Stuyvesant Town. I do remember that the squirrels were very trusting of humans and quite fat from kids feeding them, those two traits would spell death for each of them in the North Georgia Mountains where I live now. BTW I don't think that the residents will ever stop feeding those fuzzy little *******s.

Semper Fi

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Not sure why all the outrage over this... Perhaps you guys know something I dont but seriously, who cares?

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do have to confess that I feed the squirrels. It's not that I love them, but I do love birds, and a 50 pound sack of corn runs about $9, lasts about 3 months, and keeps the squirrels fat and happy and away from the expensive seed in the bird feeders.

Last edited:

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
:dontknow: Maybe they don't want to get sued for squirrels biting people?:dontknow:

I don't know, I have never met any squirrel attack victims. Probably to keep them from spreading diseases to children, some small children may have poor immune systems. I know someone who got fungus from a squirrel or mouse, bald spots on your head aren't pretty. They also create havoc on your bird feeders and could nest on the playground. 50 feet seems a little bit too extreme though, I would say to make the rule only effective within the park's premises. Hard to control any neighbors that live within 50 feet of the park.

Last edited:

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I do have to confess that I feed the squirrels. It's not that I love them, but I do love birds, and a 50 pound sack of corn runs about $9, lasts about 3 months, and keeps the squirrels fat and happy and away from the expensive seed in the bird feeders.

Good idea! Put a few bags of corn on the ground, they focus on that and don't bother to waste energy getting the high up stuff. The are also too fat by then to climb up the bird feeder. I will have to try that sometime.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good idea! Put a few bags of corn on the ground, they focus on that and don't bother to waste energy getting the high up stuff. The are also too fat by then to climb up the bird feeder. I will have to try that sometime.

I only throw out a cup or two a day , squirrels eat some and hide some. In addition to squirrels, the corn attracts blue jays, crows and an occasional duck. Makes interesting watching for the cat.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My daughter used to call them tree rats when she was in college.

FFFPatriot

Feb 21, 2017
Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd swear their skulls are made of iron. When I was in high school, me and a buddy of mine had our wrist rockets out with steelies. I can make a squirrel sound and called out to one in a tree that tore ass down and stopped about 5 ft. from me. The wrist rocket was drawn back when he stopped, and I nailed him right between the eyes. His ears flattened out for a second, and he turned tail and ran back up the tree he came from!
I figured it was the equivalent of a human getting nailed in the head by a bowling ball travelling at 400 mph.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd swear their skulls are made of iron. When I was in high school, me and a buddy of mine had our wrist rockets out with steelies. I can make a squirrel sound and called out to one in a tree that tore ass down and stopped about 5 ft. from me. The wrist rocket was drawn back when he stopped, and I nailed him right between the eyes. His ears flattened out for a second, and he turned tail and ran back up the tree he came from!
I figured it was the equivalent of a human getting nailed in the head by a bowling ball travelling at 400 mph.

Used to use a blow gun. I was fine with them until they got a taste for antenna & satellite cables. There was one that would do a low crawl across the yard. If I made a pfft noise like when shooting the blow gun he'd flatten out on the ground and belly crawl all the way to the neighbors yard. May sound mean, but cables at $6 a foot and the neighbors house with 0% of insulation on his house wiring, you gotta draw the line somewhere. oh, my heighbors dog was well fed!

FFFPatriot

Feb 21, 2017
Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Them suckers cause notorious damage on cables and wires all right. I remember years ago we were without power for a day when a squirrel made his way into some kind of transformer and ate his way to a very "Electrifying" last meal. Knock power out to half the town.
I have a nice blowgun with super sharp little spade tips. I used to stick the blowoff nozzle from my air compressor on the mouth end and give a squeeze that would send the darts through a half inch sheet of OSB (wafer board) at point blank. I never could get a good enough aim with the nozzle for hitting a target, though.:icon_shaking2:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread