Thinking of Upgrading My Detector

SouthJerseyRyan

Jul 15, 2007
Baltimore, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 (10x14 Excelerator Coil) Garrett Pro-Pointer
I currently use a Radio Shack Discovery model which has very little depth and none of those fancy things most of the other detectors have like depth measuring and size of the target and etc. I've been thinking about getting the Garret Ace 250 because it is only $200 on Amazon. Do you guys think this is a pretty good detector or could I get something better for around the same price?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never used it, but I have read several threads that say it is a good detector.

I will say your options for a good detector are very limited for that amount of money. If you could swing the extra money and double that you can get you a nice Tesoro with a lifetime warranty. Remember you get what you pay for.

Good luck, I am sure some others will respond very soon and give you more input on the 250.

Murph

Jul 19, 2004
sarasota
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT
RMac1721 said:
I currently use a Radio Shack Discovery model which has very little depth and none of those fancy things most of the other detectors have like depth measuring and size of the target and etc. I've been thinking about getting the Garret Ace 250 because it is only $200 on Amazon. Do you guys think this is a pretty good detector or could I get something better for around the same price?

I to started with a radio shack bounty hunter and have recently bought a ace 250.

Stopped by a private dealer this weekend to buy a sand scoop and he demoed the GT1500 for me. If I had it to do over I would have held off until I could afford the GT. The Ace is a nice machine for the money with more options than the BH but to be honest I think you could get by with the bounty hunter until you save up enough for a GT or similar machine. Like was said; you get what you pay for.

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
Here is my reply to a similar question:

For me, I had gone to Ebay a while back and bought a used BH Tracker IV and only paid about $65 for it... I have only been detecting for about a year...I plan on getting a better machine in a few months...I have had a great amount of luck with the machine, and would advise beginners to go with a less expensive machine just to get the feel for it, and once they do, can graduate up to a more expensive model...tough to justify paying too much just to get discouraged and have the machine end up being an expensive coat rack....Just my two cents.
Baggins

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions