Garrett AT Gold,
BH Land Ranger Pro,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Minelab Equinox 900,
Whites TRX,
Minelab ProFind 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vegetable oil isnt great in my experience, turns coins very dark. Olive oil isn't much better. For pennies I've been trying lemon juice and if you time it right it makes them bright. I forgot how long I left my first attempt in juice, maybe an hour. I've messed it up a few times since and they look aweful, but it works well if timed right. Any other clad coins lemon juice doesn't work. Aquachigger has a good youtube video on how he cleans coins and how he also ruins them.

BoundToSteel

Apr 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On one of the Hoover Boys videos he bought a $15 pen that was made to take the place of a toothpick.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Instead of lemon juice use Citric acid. Faster and more controllable. I've been using it for years mostly in my ultrasonic cleaner. I've found since it's faster it's easier to not forget you got something cooking and smoking your find. You can order it from spice dealers or from suppliers of home brewing equipment. Not expensive and the spice dealers can give you anything from 1lb up to 50 or 100lb bags. If your copper or brass find comes out too bright & shiney try using liver of sulphur about 1/3rd the concentration recommended. OH!!!!! if you try liver of sulphur believe em when they say use it outside!!

umbantmer

Apr 13, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally do not see any big diffrence ;d

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stop using olive oil to clean coins, its completely useless and is more likely to cause further harm than clean anything.

SCdigger

Apr 6, 2003
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher F75/F70, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
1) olive oil cleaning takes forever
2) olive oil darkens the coin or button severely
3) olive oil is organic and the residue, over time, can actually develop/grow bacteria, fungus or mold.

I clean with hot hydrogen peroxide soak and a cue tip.

Just my two cents worth...from experience.

SCdigger

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Never really use it on coins, however on this pretty rare bronze merchant token it worked better than well.

When I found this I thought it was a rusted knockout plug.
It was crusted over with a hard cement like covering which is what happens to some targets that spend a lot of time in my red Alabama clay.
I almost threw it away but brought it home instead and used a green scrubby on it until I saw just a few letters show through.
Still had no idea what it was but I threw it in my tumbler and kept checking on it until I got most of the heavy crust off and that took awhile.
Then I attacked it with a scrubby again until I got it to the point of the first two pics.
That black residue was stubborn, no scrubbing would get it off so I decided to try olive oil.
Soaked it in a baggie with the corner filled with that oil for many weeks, months actually, took a toothpick and picked at it every once in awhile till I got into what you see in the second pics...then I stopped.

Still one of my most cherished finds because, one, it is big as a half dollar fairly rare, has a date and I was able to track the history back on it and even found a pic of the store that issued them.
And two, because I worked like heck on the thing for a long time to get it presentable.
It came a long way and the olive oil definitely helped...over time.

Attachments

• token good (1).jpg
    token good (1).jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 172
  • token good 2 (1).jpg
    token good 2 (1).jpg
    69 KB · Views: 182
  • P1020504.jpg
    P1020504.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 116
  • P1020505 (1).jpg
    P1020505 (1).jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 218
  • federal.jpg
    federal.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
The answer to your question is that Extra Virgin Olive Oil has enough acidity to it to clean dirt, some of the encrustations and some verdigris from Copper coins. Although they may loosen some dirt and encrustation on Copper coins, Vegetable Oil and Mineral Oil virtually do nothing other than protect them from further decay.

Frank

Last edited:

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your patience resulted in a very cool and presentable token there. Not going to debate how to clean coins. To each there own but, your method seemed to work very well just slow as he!!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Olive oil is much better than vegetable oil, especially if you have high cholesterol. Olive oil also has a better taste than vegetable or mineral oil.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had some good luck cleaning IHC's using a combo of a warm hydrogen peroxide bath and mineral oil. The hydrogen peroxide gets off most of the crud and then dipping the coin in mineral oil helps to loosen up any crud that's left over.

The big positive with mineral oil is that it doesn't contain fat. Olive oil contains fat, which can eventually putrefy on a coin.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Your patience resulted in a very cool and presentable token there. Not going to debate how to clean coins. To each there own but, your method seemed to work very well just slow as he!!

Yep, not recommending this method for any coins at all or anything else but in this case, on this token it worked spectacularly well.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, not recommending this method for any coins at all or anything else but in this case, on this token it worked spectacularly well.
Agreed, the cleaning came out great. Now, the oil must be neutralized in some way to prevent the future damage from the fatty acids contained in olive oil.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might catch some flak here, but I cleaned up my saloon token by running through hot peroxide a few times and then short soaks in Louisiana hot sauce. (insert joke about people from Louisiana putting hot sauce on EVERYTHING here) It worked really well and I'm happy with the finished product.

Before :
token2.JPG token1.jpg

After :
token4.jpg token3.jpg

What this will work on and how good it will work on other things I don't know, I do know it takes tarnish off of copper pennies though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread