Personal question... I struggle with now.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, guys (and gals) I get the message. But my message has been turned around to sound as if I don't condone what Limitool is doing. I encourage L to do his fundraising. I would also say he should take any and all contributions. I'm sure he will get more out to where it will do good than the average fundraiser, which I believe is only 10%. My only message was that his post may be in contradiction to forum rules. I would ask that anyone who wishes to further the debate with me to send me a PM, before this turns into a spitting contest. Take care. TTC

Probably best to leave forum moderation and discipline to moderators, I don't even see the point of reading off rules over something like this unless you are an aspiring mod yourself.

sonofdust

Jan 30, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Safari, Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it's great that you have inspired others in your community to want to help with the great thing you are doing. How they help is up to you. This will only add to the success of your kindness. If you don't need or want the Financial backing then allow them to participate in other ways. Maybe they can fill the boxes. The more help you allow the more children you can help.

My hat is off to you Bud!

HH, RN

I think Relic Nut hit this one right on the head.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To all.... Thank you for your thoughts (mostly). And I apologize to those who I left in the dark with this thread. I guess at the time of the posting I was looking for advise / thoughts from those who knew what I was talking about. I guess I "assumed" to much but at the time / moment but that's where my head was at then. Below is a single link among many that will explain to those what I was asking about.

TerryC.... Never would I ask for funds on Tnet nor have I asked for any funds anywhere. Believe me.... any mod on Tnet knows this. I'm sure you just didn't know what I was asking / talking about (sorry to those who didn't -my fault).

And again.... to those who did offer from your heart last year to help me... THANK YOU!!!!!! But rest assured Terry I never asked them nor accepted. Those folks were following my lead and offering.

Last year the Franklin PD. (ground zero) offered to fill my 14 hand made toy boxes donated to them to fill for needy families w/children in my daughter & grandsons deaths. They could have filled 20+ easily before their toy drive was over. That's why I added 4 more after the original 10 just before Christmas. They coupled their effort with the Franklin Rotary Club food drive. And I mean it WAS ORGANIZED!!!! I'm the one who came up short.... meaning not enough Toy Boxes!!!! I offered to do it again this year if they were willing. Yes, was the answer. I offered 20 up front this time to the Franklin PD.

A few weeks later the Rotary Club offered monetary support of a few hundred dollars to help me. They wanted to make sure if I was willing to build them that last years effort could be repeated.

So.... That's why I posted this thread because being funded was something that never entered my mind... EVER! It was between my conscience and desire. Now I'd like to do this in my own county for needy families / children and it's in the works now. I'm not rich or anywhere close to it. We live on a fixed income. So... I committed to 20 toy boxes for Franklin Co. 2017 and 5 here if the organization can be arranged. I can fund this effort.

For those that know what I'm talking about.... "Where does donating and being funded... start and stop"? Those that answered... THANK YOU very much! I struggle with it. Maybe I'm being selfish and what I started could grow into something much larger to help others.... Brad

Man builds toy boxes to collect for kids in need after mom, son killed by semi | WKRN News 2

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Donate your time and afford and work in homeless shelters and soup kitchens.

HS.... I totally would but I live on an isolated ridge top in rural Hickman Co. TN. My wife is crippled and I need to check on her very often. I have a large new wood working shop now and enjoy doing this for a hobby. I believe many folks can rally around a Toy Box to fill for a needy family w/children. The nearest shelter / kitchen to help is in Nashville 70 miles away.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Others want the chance to do for others but have not the talent as you do so they reach out to your talent so they can help others through you........that's the way I see it.

Electricfrontporch

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever you decide Limitool keep on with the good work!
Far too little of this going on today.
The world needs more folks like you!

Noah

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now that I understand, let me say I am so very sorry for your loss. I cannot imagine the pain you must have.

I think that what you do is completely your own decision and it will be the right one. Follow your heart.

From an outsider's point of view, it seems that others were touched by what your actions and want to be a part of it in some way. Their intentions are to express their approval and to help going forward, but they may not understand the obligation that you might feel as a result of accepting their help. This may be an opportunity to expand the project to other woodworkers in the area or something another local charity could team up with you/others to carry on...?

On a personal note, I once started volunteering a morning once a week at a local food bank. I was asked to help more and more as the years went on and I gladly did so (and enjoyed it a lot) but after a few years I just felt overwhelmed and like it was consuming my life. I ended up stopping completely. Finding a balance can be tough.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been a woodworker and acoustic guitar builder for years and I'm winding down now from woodworking and I have a number of tools in which I would donate.
Handplanes I have plenty of. Let me know if you need one.
Brad do what you feel is best and make sure you're taking care of yourself along with your wife.
Always in my prayers.
Rusty

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you got the system down for these, but if you need cutout letters/engraving let me know

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I want all here to know that last year, or year before last Brad was talking about his project, and I offered to help.

BRAD REFUSED MY OFFER!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Now that I understand, let me say I am so very sorry for your loss. I cannot imagine the pain you must have.

I think that what you do is completely your own decision and it will be the right one. Follow your heart.

From an outsider's point of view, it seems that others were touched by what your actions and want to be a part of it in some way. Their intentions are to express their approval and to help going forward, but they may not understand the obligation that you might feel as a result of accepting their help. This may be an opportunity to expand the project to other woodworkers in the area or something another local charity could team up with you/others to carry on...?

On a personal note, I once started volunteering a morning once a week at a local food bank. I was asked to help more and more as the years went on and I gladly did so (and enjoyed it a lot) but after a few years I just felt overwhelmed and like it was consuming my life. I ended up stopping completely. Finding a balance can be tough.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I consider Brad a friend (had a nice, lllooonnnggg chat on the phone one night) and I'd gladly help him in this endeavor - not because it might make me feel good, and not as a way for "me" to be charitable, but because I would gladly do what I could to help my friend in his venture! Back then, Brad had already declined monetary help, so did what I could in info/suggestions.

Now this is where I can speak for several people, but not putting anyone else's names there but my own when I say this:
Brad, if you ever want or need anything financial to help your venture, DO NOT hesitate in letting me know! How shall I say....you're "Pre-Approved"! :hello2: :notworthy:

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you folks... from the heart.

Again... KCM, DS... and the many others who also offered last year THANK YOU so much.

Some of you have suggested that "others" may what to be a part of it and support it possibly into something much larger. Maybe so.... But that's what I'm struggling with because I NEVER expected others to "join me" on what I was doing by offering to support it.

I probably took the Rotary Pres. by surprise when he asked if I'd accept a few hundred dollars to continue this effort again and hesitated. I already was going too and arranged it again with the PD. a month before. He explained himself further and it all came from the heart from him and his organization. I told him I would finally. He asked if I'd come to a Rotary breakfast, accept check and speak to the members present about my intent and effort. In hind sight I started to doubt my decision and posted this thread.

I guess we'll see how it turns out now. I'm sure these folks, as the President stated just want to help me offset costs and see it continue in the matter as I presented last year. I guess involving others in any manner just seemed to "get in the way" of my effort. I need to get over it... let these folks help and be a part I guess. It just doesn't seem right somehow...? Brad

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Am not too familiar with the Rotary Club. I'd think they spend their time going around in circles! laughing hysterically.gif

Seriously though, I can understand what you're saying. And I was all for going along with the Rotary Club, UNTIL it got to the part of you getting up to talk about your project. 20 years ago I would have thought nothing of it, but nowdays it seems there's always some sort of ulterior motive involved, even if in a secondary way - almost like, "Hey, look at us (ie.; the Rotary Club). We're doing something really great here!" I would hope this not to be the case, but.... Now looking at it from another direction, what's to say this extra publicity for you and the extra resources (monetary, for now) wouldn't draw other wood craftsmen in by maybe making some handmade toys to go in those boxes?

Think about these people who have walked or jogged or ridden a bicycle across the USA to raise money for some charity. Granted there may not be many who join in, and maybe they won't stay the whole course, but there could be quite a few people who would like to join in. Some will most certainly have more self-centered reasons, like it makes "them" feel good. But then, some people need that. Others may join in for the same exact reasons you are doing this. Or maybe someone hopes to gain a little publicity. Whatever the reason, any additional help would result in you being able to expand the operation (IF that's something you want to do!!) and be able to reach out to even more children. Maybe other folks too far away to physically help might take a cue from you and do a similar thing in their own area.

What it boils down to Brad, is, what do YOU want?!?!?

It's obvious you're struggling with this, which is why you posted in the first place. But ultimately, all we can do is help you see the big picture, but in the end it has to be your decision. If you do this on your own, then it's "all you" in every aspect - an operation you can pour your heart into, and for the very specific reasons that you started it in the first place. And that means being more limited in how many kids end up with such a special gift.

...One idea might be that, if you choose to accept help from anyone, that it be from someone who went through a similar catastrophe, someone who lost a child or grandchild, so that they, too, can pour their hearts into the operation. Maybe they'll have a specialty for something you don't like. Like, I can't stand to paint or do finish work. If I had someone who wanted to do that and could do it well, then I'd jump at the chance. But that's me. And maybe that's the only person I'd allow to help.

Sending you a PM. Call me some time if you wanna talk.

ADDED: Here's a link that I think (hope!) many will find not only informative, but even inspirational. Hope you enjoy. Notice how the program got started, and even when it started. We've come a long ways since then, yet have made little progress in the overall scheme of things. In other words, what Brad is doing makes him a real life Hero!! ...Let's just hope he doesn't start dressing up in spandex and a mask! :laughing7:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toys_for_Tots

Last edited:

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Perhaps the Rotary(or other locals) could take up the mantle and run with the example that you have set. Maybe suggest that in your breakfast talk. ime, a lot of these clubs are mostly populated with people that want to business networking (nothing wrong with that) but there will also be a rare few charitably oriented go getters too. Organizational ability is an undervalued trait.

Listen to others (not just here) and consider the options they present, but do what is right for you. That's all any person can do.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Am not too familiar with the Rotary Club. I'd think they spend their time going around in circles! View attachment 1440004

Seriously though, I can understand what you're saying. And I was all for going along with the Rotary Club, UNTIL it got to the part of you getting up to talk about your project. 20 years ago I would have thought nothing of it, but nowdays it seems there's always some sort of ulterior motive involved, even if in a secondary way - almost like, "Hey, look at us (ie.; the Rotary Club). We're doing something really great here!" I would hope this not to be the case, but.... Now looking at it from another direction, what's to say this extra publicity for you and the extra resources (monetary, for now) wouldn't draw other wood craftsmen in by maybe making some handmade toys to go in those boxes?

Agree! Why can't folks just do a good deed anymore without making a REALLY BIG DEAL out of it?

I would tell them you'll be glad to accept their donation only if they are willing to keep it on the "down low".

A wise man once said: "“Take care not to practice your righteousness in front of men to be noticed by them; otherwise you will have no reward with your Father who is in the heavens. So when you make gifts of mercy, do not blow a trumpet ahead of you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, so that they may be glorified by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. But you, when making gifts of mercy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4 so that your gifts of mercy may be in secret. Then your Father who looks on in secret will repay you." - Matthew 6:1-3

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agree! Why can't folks just do a good deed anymore without making a REALLY BIG DEAL out of it?

I would tell them you'll be glad to accept their donation only if they are willing to keep it on the "down low".

A wise man once said: "“Take care not to practice your righteousness in front of men to be noticed by them; otherwise you will have no reward with your Father who is in the heavens. So when you make gifts of mercy, do not blow a trumpet ahead of you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, so that they may be glorified by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. But you, when making gifts of mercy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4 so that your gifts of mercy may be in secret. Then your Father who looks on in secret will repay you." - Matthew 6:1-3

Exactly my point or concern.

I did mention last year to one person (Rotary Club) that "I bet others folks would like to see a Toy Box like this built in their lost loved ones names also, then donated"...? This also weights on me. I probably overstepped my bounds and should have just continued to do what I could afford to do for the intent I originally started.

But I do / can now understand how others would want to help see this effort continue or expand. I'm probably way overthinking this but I guess you'd have to be me or really know me to understand with offers of help. Maybe I'm being selfish...?

For the member who stated that possibly other woodworkers might to able to do the same.... HELL YES!!!!!!! That would be GREAT.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I did mention last year to one person (Rotary Club) that "I bet others folks would like to see a Toy Box like this built in their lost loved ones names also, then donated"...? This also weights on me.

Ok, now you're talking two different things here. There's no problem doing what you do for your own purposes, and still be able to run a separate business for helping other people honor their loved ones. Only thing is, you need to keep the two separate. In other words, you would have a small business. You don't know their loved ones, so why should you donate your time? Yes, you could "choose" to, but then that's your prerogative. ...You just need to decide what's best for you, including your situation, your wife, YOUR health etc., and what you can see happening into the future.

People buy flowers to put on graves. They don't go to florists and expect something for nothing, or even to buy at-cost. And while you're not a business per se, it still holds that people should not ask you to work for free, much less at a loss. Your time is worth something. Otherwise, you'll have people taking advantage of you. ...If people could get floral bouquets for free, then there would be a LOT more to be found on graves - at least until some of them just got tired of even that much effort. Somewhere lost in that mix is a line between what comes from the heart (sincerity) and what comes from guilt (I want to, but.....). So, most folks just move away from honoring their loved ones. And for some people, there's an "I'm a part of this living world and they're no longer here, so I just need to move on" mentality. Nothing really wrong with that mindset, either - but you know they're not going to be buying any toy chests from you! :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread