Personal question... I struggle with now. - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree237Likes

Thread: Personal question... I struggle with now.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Nov 2005
    Greer SC
    Minelab quattro and AT Pro
    104 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadeaux View Post
    Read a bit more carefully, and go back to his posts about the boxes he has already built. I know enough about Limitool that he isn't going to beg anyone for funds to do something. He's actually struggling over whether to accept donations from "ORGANIZATIONS" to build more toy boxes for disadvantaged kids. They are offering, he is struggling with whether to take the offer.

He donated not only his time but paid out of his pocket to donate toy boxes to children.

I understand the rules here, but Brad isn't breaking them because he is neither directly or indirectly asking for monetary assistance ... although if you get too close while he's working you might get drafted to help with finishing.

Be well Terry.
    Organizations don't do crap unless there is something in it for them...I personally would take personal donations because our hard earned money is given from the heart.....whereas I believe corporate money has strings attached...Just my opinion. Happy Easter to all

Phil
    sonofdust and coinman123 like this.

Charter Member
    us
    sprailroad

Jan 2017
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800.
    2949 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Terry, I agree with SusanMN's post #8, What I read was Limitool was "offered" donations from other Forum members, but "Declined" those offers. Just sounds to me like a good guy trying to do a good thing, and not asking for anything other than advice.

Charter Member
    us
    Come out from under your bed today...... DO SOMETHING!

Jun 2008
    Yarnell, AZ
    Ace 250 (2), Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Falcon MD20, Garrett pinpointer.
    7478 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by sprailroad View Post
    Terry, I agree with SusanMN's post #8, What I read was Limitool was "offered" donations from other Forum members, but "Declined" those offers. Just sounds to me like a good guy trying to do a good thing, and not asking for anything other than advice.
    Ok, guys (and gals) I get the message. But my message has been turned around to sound as if I don't condone what Limitool is doing. I encourage L to do his fundraising. I would also say he should take any and all contributions. I'm sure he will get more out to where it will do good than the average fundraiser, which I believe is only 10%. My only message was that his post may be in contradiction to forum rules. I would ask that anyone who wishes to further the debate with me to send me a PM, before this turns into a spitting contest. Take care. TTC
    In the clearing stands a boxer and a fighter by his trade. And he carries the reminders of every glove that laid him out or cut him 'til he cried out, in his anger and his shame, "I am leaving . I am leaving" but the fighter still remains. The Boxer Simon and Garfunkle

Charter Member
    us
    "WP"

May 2012
    19416 times
    Hey Brad.
    I only offer from my perspective ( note my clean hands..).
    Having met you helps to stand back and look at your project.

Again ,only opinion.
    What you did was honor loved ones in an active ,constructive manner. That alone ( and much of the beginning you were alone in the concept) met your objective ,sort of.

Now you are faced with continuing the gesture, should you choose ,and should you feel the results still meet your original goal or more importantly ,feeling.

IF it is something you would expand by taking requests,seeking input ,donations ect. and make commitments to others vs staying solo ( neither is required ,you did what you set out to do , maybe).
    I would suggest forming a nonprofit. Or at least an account strictly for non labor funds towards project( s) with a charity as beneficiary should you cease project( s) or croak.

If you are providing all the labor , I'd be cautious to not let demand outstrip your usual " crafting" being enjoyable/ therapeutic / hello sawdust ,nice to see you , and instead make it a drudge , too much work waiting demand.

Were I handling donations for you there would be no commitment as to how many items would be produced.
    One mishap ( not you,l.o.l..) and then what?
    Then too ,you could work when the mood struck you ,rather than have to crank out more . Then more . And more.

A charity named to receive the account should you cease could relieve concerns of donors ,and maybe some of yours.
    If allowing donations and continuing /expanding your project is what YOU feel is the way to go.

Where do you want to go with what you started?
    Keep it limited to you and a dozen boxes a year or expand your production, or free source information to others under the names or initials of your loved ones to duplicate your efforts among other wood butchers , err ,craftsmen/ woman,youth groups ect.?
    Even if only ( only!) providing kits to assemble and finish were sourced from your production. How many groups from the homeless to troubled youth ,to society's elite , could work together for a good cause that leaves them feeling they did something good? All with an honored memory attached.

The personal touch would be lost...or would it?
    Last edited by releventchair; Apr 14, 2017 at 11:01 AM.

us
    Mar 2013
    Kansas
    Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
    391 times
    Metal Detecting
    If you are legitimate in what you do and committed to the mission of its intent, then you should accept all means that comes your way to further that intent. Do not deny the good in others that want to be a part of that which you and others do to make life better but can do nothing other than give a few dollars.
    A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.

us
    Nov 2013
    TN
    Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
    1633 times
    Metal Detecting
    Awful lot of text above and I still am confused as to what he is doing. Guess I came in on this story late.
    "Those who cannot compete intellectually tend to develop a cultural aversion to the whole idea." -- Fred Reed
    ========================================
    Minelab Safari
    Minelab Excalibur II
    Minelab CTX 3030

us
    Feb 2005
    MI USA
    Deus XP, AT Pro, Racer 2, Ace 400
    2283 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryC View Post
    Ok, guys (and gals) I get the message. But my message has been turned around to sound as if I don't condone what Limitool is doing. I encourage L to do his fundraising. I would also say he should take any and all contributions. I'm sure he will get more out to where it will do good than the average fundraiser, which I believe is only 10%. My only message was that his post may be in contradiction to forum rules. I would ask that anyone who wishes to further the debate with me to send me a PM, before this turns into a spitting contest. Take care. TTC
    Probably best to leave forum moderation and discipline to moderators, I don't even see the point of reading off rules over something like this unless you are an aspiring mod yourself.
    Chadeaux, TerryC and diggummup like this.

us
    Sod

Jan 2014
    Michigan
    Safari, Excalibur 1000
    57 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by relic nut View Post
    I think it's great that you have inspired others in your community to want to help with the great thing you are doing. How they help is up to you. This will only add to the success of your kindness. If you don't need or want the Financial backing then allow them to participate in other ways. Maybe they can fill the boxes. The more help you allow the more children you can help.

My hat is off to you Bud!

HH, RN
    I think Relic Nut hit this one right on the head.

us
    Sir

Sep 2015
    Connecticut
    Minelab
    3058 times
    Donate your time and afford and work in homeless shelters and soup kitchens.
    Limitool likes this.

us
    Brad - Wolfpack Proud

Jun 2013
    Middle TN. area
    White XLT Spectrum E-Series
    6271 times
    Metal Detecting
    To all.... Thank you for your thoughts (mostly). And I apologize to those who I left in the dark with this thread. I guess at the time of the posting I was looking for advise / thoughts from those who knew what I was talking about. I guess I "assumed" to much but at the time / moment but that's where my head was at then. Below is a single link among many that will explain to those what I was asking about.

TerryC.... Never would I ask for funds on Tnet nor have I asked for any funds anywhere. Believe me.... any mod on Tnet knows this. I'm sure you just didn't know what I was asking / talking about (sorry to those who didn't -my fault).

And again.... to those who did offer from your heart last year to help me... THANK YOU!!!!!! But rest assured Terry I never asked them nor accepted. Those folks were following my lead and offering.

Last year the Franklin PD. (ground zero) offered to fill my 14 hand made toy boxes donated to them to fill for needy families w/children in my daughter & grandsons deaths. They could have filled 20+ easily before their toy drive was over. That's why I added 4 more after the original 10 just before Christmas. They coupled their effort with the Franklin Rotary Club food drive. And I mean it WAS ORGANIZED!!!! I'm the one who came up short.... meaning not enough Toy Boxes!!!! I offered to do it again this year if they were willing. Yes, was the answer. I offered 20 up front this time to the Franklin PD.

A few weeks later the Rotary Club offered monetary support of a few hundred dollars to help me. They wanted to make sure if I was willing to build them that last years effort could be repeated.

So.... That's why I posted this thread because being funded was something that never entered my mind... EVER! It was between my conscience and desire. Now I'd like to do this in my own county for needy families / children and it's in the works now. I'm not rich or anywhere close to it. We live on a fixed income. So... I committed to 20 toy boxes for Franklin Co. 2017 and 5 here if the organization can be arranged. I can fund this effort.

For those that know what I'm talking about.... "Where does donating and being funded... start and stop"? Those that answered... THANK YOU very much! I struggle with it. Maybe I'm being selfish and what I started could grow into something much larger to help others.... Brad

Man builds toy boxes to collect for kids in need after mom, son killed by semi | WKRN News 2
    I am a true blue Patriot who believes in the original Constitution's meaning. I'll bleed blood to defend it and resist those who want to diminish or alter its meaning or those rights stated within the Constitution.

us
    Brad - Wolfpack Proud

Jun 2013
    Middle TN. area
    White XLT Spectrum E-Series
    6271 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Samuel View Post
    Donate your time and afford and work in homeless shelters and soup kitchens.
    HS.... I totally would but I live on an isolated ridge top in rural Hickman Co. TN. My wife is crippled and I need to check on her very often. I have a large new wood working shop now and enjoy doing this for a hobby. I believe many folks can rally around a Toy Box to fill for a needy family w/children. The nearest shelter / kitchen to help is in Nashville 70 miles away.
    I am a true blue Patriot who believes in the original Constitution's meaning. I'll bleed blood to defend it and resist those who want to diminish or alter its meaning or those rights stated within the Constitution.

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2015
    Oklahoma
    5613 times
    Others want the chance to do for others but have not the talent as you do so they reach out to your talent so they can help others through you........that's the way I see it.
    Chadeaux, TerryC, Limitool and 1 others like this.
    Tell me and I'll forget. Show me, and I may not remember. Involve me, and I'll understand. - Tribe Unknown. Those that lie down with dogs, get up with fleas. - Blackfoot

Dec 2016
    218 times
    Whatever you decide Limitool keep on with the good work!
    Far too little of this going on today.
    The world needs more folks like you!

Noah
    RustyGold, kcm, Limitool and 2 others like this.
    Dig It All!

us
    Nov 2013
    TN
    Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
    1633 times
    Metal Detecting
    Now that I understand, let me say I am so very sorry for your loss. I cannot imagine the pain you must have.

I think that what you do is completely your own decision and it will be the right one. Follow your heart.

From an outsider's point of view, it seems that others were touched by what your actions and want to be a part of it in some way. Their intentions are to express their approval and to help going forward, but they may not understand the obligation that you might feel as a result of accepting their help. This may be an opportunity to expand the project to other woodworkers in the area or something another local charity could team up with you/others to carry on...?

On a personal note, I once started volunteering a morning once a week at a local food bank. I was asked to help more and more as the years went on and I gladly did so (and enjoyed it a lot) but after a few years I just felt overwhelmed and like it was consuming my life. I ended up stopping completely. Finding a balance can be tough.
    "Those who cannot compete intellectually tend to develop a cultural aversion to the whole idea." -- Fred Reed
    ========================================
    Minelab Safari
    Minelab Excalibur II
    Minelab CTX 3030

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC, CA
    XP Deus, Equinox 800 720i Stealth Scoop
    7268 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    I have been a woodworker and acoustic guitar builder for years and I'm winding down now from woodworking and I have a number of tools in which I would donate.
    Handplanes I have plenty of. Let me know if you need one.
    Brad do what you feel is best and make sure you're taking care of yourself along with your wife.
    Always in my prayers.
    Rusty
    Limitool, huntsman53 and sonofdust like this.

We are not what we take, we are what we leave.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links