Personal question... I struggle with now.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I think you should refuse aid and continue on your own as you have been doing. Those who want to give you money towards your project, ask that they send that money to a children’s cancer hospital or some other charity of your choosing. I get it that you want to to this on your own and so should others. No need to feel conflicted.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1 thing I'm not getting - So individual kids get boxes stuffed with toys, and get the toys and the box ?

Yes... I built and donated 15 total toy boxes last year. The PD offered to do their first toy drive to fill them all. After 4 TV stations and the Nashville newspaper got involved the PD got enough to probably fill 25 boxes. They coordinated with the area Rotary's annual food drive also. Some families had 1 child and many had multiple children up to 5. It was very organized and each toy box was filled with toys according to sexes and ages. The food drive then allotted food according to the same criteria. Then the filled toy boxes and food were all dropped off (including the toy boxes I donated). Each of my boxes had a name plate bearing my daughter and grandsons names. It was highly organized per each family by the PD & Rotary. I probably had the primo job!

Now these two organizations what to help me offset my costs to see it continue as it did last year (hence this thread). I just wonder if accepting any funds would conflict with me putting my daughters and grandsons names upon the donated boxes again? One members PM (of many) brought up a good point.... it's still my work and time going into project.

You folks here gave some great advise and I appreciate it. And thanks again Xray for what you sent me last year.... Brad

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"I did mention last year to one person (Rotary Club) that "I bet others folks would like to see a Toy Box like this built in their lost loved ones names also, then donated"...? This also weights on me."

KCM.... What I meant by this was they pay base costs and come help me build the box. I'll have the parts all cut out in advance. They help assemble, sand, stain and finish. Then they can attach their own memorial plate upon box. AND THEN DONATE IT ALONG WITH MINE. But even this idea could have it pitfalls also.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you go to "rules" you will see this sentence, "You may not... use the TreasureNet.com forums for any fundraising purposes.
He mentions other TNetters offered compensation to a fundraiser that he did before and he says he wants to do it again. I am not saying he cannot do a fundraiser, but it sure sounds (to me) like he is trying to say it without saying it. I predict one of the admin will soon tell him so. (I personally couldn't care less) TTC
Easiest way to remember is "Their house their rules." Unless you're paying TNets server etc. bills we aren't really entitled to anything Easy to remember & will keep your butt out of a sling believe me!. If you're running a charity drop a link with a check this out type title. The real sad thing is there are so many charities flooding our lives, it seems that everyone has their hands out. Makes it hard for the rest that are really in a bind get seen.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Making the toy boxes is part of your healing process, but not if it gets overwhelming, too big a "job" for you.
I would say compartmentalize or section it. You make your boxes ever how many you can or want to. Those will have your daughter and grandson's name on them.
If others are willing to step up and make more boxes to honor their or other people's loved ones thats great. The funds would be avaible for supplies to make more boxes but more people need to help make them.
The PD and Roarty maybe helpful in managing the funds so your not spending your valuable time doing that.
Everybody needs to do what they do best. Yours is building your boxes and caring.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes... I built and donated 15 total toy boxes last year. The PD offered to do their first toy drive to fill them all. After 4 TV stations and the Nashville newspaper got involved the PD got enough to probably fill 25 boxes. They coordinated with the area Rotary's annual food drive also. Some families had 1 child and many had multiple children up to 5. It was very organized and each toy box was filled with toys according to sexes and ages. The food drive then allotted food according to the same criteria. Then the filled toy boxes and food were all dropped off (including the toy boxes I donated). Each of my boxes had a name plate bearing my daughter and grandsons names. It was highly organized per each family by the PD & Rotary. I probably had the primo job!

Now these two organizations what to help me offset my costs to see it continue as it did last year (hence this thread). I just wonder if accepting any funds would conflict with me putting my daughters and grandsons names upon the donated boxes again? One members PM (of many) brought up a good point.... it's still my work and time going into project.

You folks here gave some great advise and I appreciate it. And thanks again Xray for what you sent me last year.... Brad

A tough call, what works for me and the next guy might not work for you and vice versa.
The main point is needy kids and honoring your loved ones memory, but you don't want to overwhelm yourself either psychically or financially and only you know the real limits of that.
If you feel you've reached a break then I would say accept what help if offered, don't think that will diminish the spirit of your work, might even enhance it.

My pleasure on the thing I sent, I was inspired to do it and you can relate to that, some things you do like on autopilot.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Boogeyman.... Mr. TerryC, at the time didn't know what I was talking about completely. He does now. He made a mistake from his misunderstanding of my project last year. He knows now I'm not asking for anything nor ever have.

Brad

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Easiest way to remember is "Their house their rules." Unless you're paying TNets server etc. bills we aren't really entitled to anything Easy to remember & will keep your butt out of a sling believe me!. If you're running a charity drop a link with a check this out type title. The real sad thing is there are so many charities flooding our lives, it seems that everyone has their hands out. Makes it hard for the rest that are really in a bind get seen.

A tough call, what works for me and the next guy might not work for you and vice versa.
The main point is needy kids and honoring your loved ones memory, but you don't want to overwhelm yourself either psychically or financially and only you know the real limits of that.
If you feel you've reached a break then I would say accept what help if offered, don't think that will diminish the spirit of your work, might even enhance it.

My pleasure on the thing I sent, I was inspired to do it and you can relate to that, some things you do like on autopilot.

Your damn right I can relate to THAT! And what you sent me last year could never be replaced by anyone. My "autopilot" kicked in with these boxes as what you sent to me to honor my efforts last year. You sir deserve a gold medal in my book.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
KCM.... What I meant by this was they pay base costs and come help me build the box. I'll have the parts all cut out in advance. They help assemble, sand, stain and finish. Then they can attach their own memorial plate upon box. AND THEN DONATE IT ALONG WITH MINE. But even this idea could have it pitfalls also.

...Sounds OK to me. Just have to be certain nobody else handles your more dangerous power tools, even if they're experienced. Now if it's their profession (or past profession), then I don't see any potential problems, but sure don't want any accidents that would fall under your insurance.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Brad, just know that all of us here have your back. There's 50+ posts now because you mean something special to us - and I don't mean that as in having a wart on the bottom of your foot! :tongue3:

If you want (or could use) help, whether monetary or physical (or both), then go for it. You can always revert back to just you if you choose to. Remember, this is YOUR project!! But that doesn't mean you have to go things alone.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Brad, it it's important to you then make it a stipulation that you will help within your ability but that each box must bear one of the plaques. Make a simple agreement - they pay for materials, you do the work, and each box gets the plaque.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Brad, just know that all of us here have your back. There's 50+ posts now because you mean something special to us - and I don't mean that as in having a wart on the bottom of your foot! :tongue3:

If you want (or could use) help, whether monetary or physical (or both), then go for it. You can always revert back to just you if you choose to. Remember, this is YOUR project!! But that doesn't mean you have to go things alone.

Thanks buddy.... AND TO ALL! I wish everybody who wants to support this lived on this rural TN. ridge (ha, ha, ha, ha). Hell, the physical presence and help would be more help then the monetary support. Well... I guess maybe it would be a lot more fun then. Especially those who can use the required tools needed. But, rest assured I still find a LOT of pleasure building all of these boxes to donate or for my customers.

I'm going to accept the monetary help offered from the Franklin Co. PD & Rotary club and any that want to help me physically hands on. I don't need the money to produce the 20 boxes dedicated to this years promised donation to the Franklin Co. PD. & Rotary. But... if it is forthcoming I'll put the funds back to further the effort later.

As long as I can attach my daughters and grandsons names upon the boxes without conflict then I'll be alright with it.

If ANYBODY has the organizational skills / ideas to help possibly further what I started to other areas... Please think and share with me or others above me.

Thanks, Brad

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Brad,

I want you to know, that it is an extremely proud felt honor to know you and your' wonderful wife, Bonnie! You do so much to help others and more so in honoring Kristi and Carter even though I know that you and Bonnie are still hurting so much from their loss. I am doing my danged best to come out to visit you and Bonnie and get my' hair and ears full of sawdust and metal detect for more of those danged horseshoes but it seems that every turn, I suffer setback after setback. However, I am working diligently towards coming out there next month and guess what, I should have new teeth (chompers).;D:happy3: Whooot...whooot...whooot!! It is costing me two nice guns and maybe a little cash but it is worth it!

I understand that you are torn with accepting donations because I know you! However, I believe as others do, that if by accepting the donations, it does not belittle your cause and does not become all about those making the monetary donations, then you will be able to help so many more needy children and their' families. Also, if some TNET members come out to help out in making the toy boxes, maybe we can get them to metal detect and clear out the two-track (old wagon road) of those old pesky horseshoes and oxen shoes that are hiding the true treasure signals as long as we provide the beer.:occasion14::tongue3: No matter what, please make a plan on what you want me to do to help if and when I make it out there.

Your friend, metal detecting buddy and half-a&%ed cave exploring partner... Frank

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
So Frank, how you like your new chompers?? Guess it's my turn next! :crybaby2:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
So Frank, how you like your new chompers?? Guess it's my turn next! :crybaby2:

Don't have them yet! They finally took the impressions last week for a denture on the top and a bridge on the bottom, bite impression this week and I will get to try the wax denture & bridge next week to approve or disapprove. Spring is a real busy time of the year for them, probably due to folks getting their' tax refunds, so it takes some time for each step. I opted to keep what teeth I could keep on the bottom and have a bridge or bridges made as dentures on the bottom are hard to keep in and get used to. Good luck on getting your' chompers!

Frank

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I received an email yesterday from the President of the Rotary Club in Franklin TN. He told me they have a $500.00 check to present to me now. They gave a date in which to show up and say a few words during a breakfast at 7:00 am. (Jun.7th.).

I'll be there and will speak. Outside of the "thank you's" it will be hard to do because I really don't know what to say? There giving the money to me to continue my effort toward building and donating these boxes to needy children / families. I've already build 10 custom toy boxes to donate this Christmas year which was completed today with my 17 y/o grandson helping.

I'll pay personally for the Memorial Plates to mount in my daughters and grandsons names and will use the donated money to build the boxes next year. This was what I mentally struggled with. I totally help others all the time.... BUT... I've never had others step up to help me.

And for those that offered you have my deepest appreciation again. I just can't believe this is now happening for real now.... Brad

Last edited:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would say exactly what you just said there [emoji106] Congrats on doing such a great thing to help others out.

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brad ,people like you deserve the help. Keep it up. On another note. I'm still interested in the stuff around and in the cave. Have posted any new pictures?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would say exactly what you just said there [emoji106] Congrats on doing such a great thing to help others out.

Thank you... I will. Here's a pic of the 10 boxes for this years future donation. Brad

Attachments

• DSCN0733.JPG
    DSCN0733.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 69

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread