Personal question... I struggle with now.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If a person is doing something from the heart and donates it to benefit others and this same person totally funds it all would it make a difference if others pay now to see it continue??? Meaning covering all basic costs.

I struggle with this. Where does donating start or stop while being "funded" from others???

I had some Tnet members last year offer me assistance but at the time I thanked and declined them. I was so damn humbled by those that offered!!!!! It was a personal thing I wanted to do. But to those of you who did... THANK YOU!

Now I have some organizations who want to pay basic costs for me to repeat again in Franklin Co. TN. Never would I want to make money off of what I started last year. I did it from the heart 100%.

I'd truly like this to happen in my own county this year (Hickman Co. TN.). Franklin Co. TN. was just "ground zero" for what happened. I can't, nor any of us save the world but making a small difference seems worthwhile as many others and I did last year for 15 families. I committed to do it again with 20 this year in Franklin Co. TN.

I struggle with the thought of others stepping up and paying for what I wanted to do. It doesn't seem it would be the same because I wanted to do it....?????

Where does donating something from the heart start and stop?

Brad

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well Brad, You are not a newbie so you have probably read the rule or are aware of the rule that prohibits such activities on this net. Your post is not very specific. Even if it was "detector related" or not, this is not the place. I fully support anyone who runs a legitimate fundraising operation, non-profit or not, but I don't think it will be allowed here. Sorry. TTC

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Well Brad, You are not a newbie so you have probably read the rule or are aware of the rule that prohibits such activities on this net. Your post is not very specific. Even if it was "detector related" or not, this is not the place. I fully support anyone who runs a legitimate fundraising operation, non-profit or not, but I don't think it will be allowed here. Sorry. TTC

What rules is he breaking? I believe that all Brad is doing is asking us if he should accept funds to do a charity donation project (toy boxes). He isn't asking for any funds on the forum if that is what you thought. Also, I don't think that General Discussion threads have to relate to metal detecting, it's just a forum for members to talk to each other.

Anyways, if I were in your position, I would probably do everything I could without taking funds. If worst comes to worst I might accept some funds. I feel it comes from the heart a little more if you do everything yourself. Sometimes it is not possible to do everything yourself, and your donation is still coming from the heart regardless of a little help. Trying to make profit off of a charity is when it is not completely from the heart anymore (which you are against anyways), it makes a project less of a charity and more of a business. Make the discussion from your heart, ponder the idea of getting help and what it will mean for you.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you go to "rules" you will see this sentence, "You may not... use the TreasureNet.com forums for any fundraising purposes.
He mentions other TNetters offered compensation to a fundraiser that he did before and he says he wants to do it again. I am not saying he cannot do a fundraiser, but it sure sounds (to me) like he is trying to say it without saying it. I predict one of the admin will soon tell him so. (I personally couldn't care less) TTC

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If those donations help others and helps you help others than right on.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you go to "rules" you will see this sentence, "You may not... use the TreasureNet.com forums for any fundraising purposes.
He mentions other TNetters offered compensation to a fundraiser that he did before and he says he wants to do it again. I am not saying he cannot do a fundraiser, but it sure sounds (to me) like he is trying to say it without saying it. I predict one of the admin will soon tell him so. (I personally couldn't care less) TTC
"Now I have some organizations who want to pay basic costs for me to repeat again in Franklin Co. TN. Never would I want to make money off of what I started last year. I did it from the heart 100%."
See above.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you accept funds from other organizations for materials, you are still donating your time, skills and creativity to make your boxes, and could likely make more. nothing wrong with that. But it really depends on what your heart says about letting others in on your project. Since you have some hesitation it may be that your gut is telling you that you need to go it alone.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Terry, I think you are reading this wrong. He is looking for advice, not donations.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
While I can understand both sides of this thread, I kinda do have to wonder why it wasn't posted here instead:
Everything Else

Wazzup Brad? Hi - Copy.gif

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry, first know the subject. We offered him help last year. He didn't ask for it. BRAD, YOUR TIME AND IDEA IS THE GIFT. The material is just a monetary debts. As long as the donation are from the hearts of others. You can help more that way. Go for it my friend and God Bless.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Read a bit more carefully, and go back to his posts about the boxes he has already built. I know enough about Limitool that he isn't going to beg anyone for funds to do something. He's actually struggling over whether to accept donations from "ORGANIZATIONS" to build more toy boxes for disadvantaged kids. They are offering, he is struggling with whether to take the offer.

He donated not only his time but paid out of his pocket to donate toy boxes to children.

I understand the rules here, but Brad isn't breaking them because he is neither directly or indirectly asking for monetary assistance ... although if you get too close while he's working you might get drafted to help with finishing.

Be well Terry.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The object is to get the product to needy kids, so I'd say anything that furthers that goal is spot on.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's great that you have inspired others in your community to want to help with the great thing you are doing. How they help is up to you. This will only add to the success of your kindness. If you don't need or want the Financial backing then allow them to participate in other ways. Maybe they can fill the boxes. The more help you allow the more children you can help.

My hat is off to you Bud!

HH, RN

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brad, if the actions you take that are coming from your heart inspire others to do good, what is bad in that?
Share the opportunity with others, if you feel it. Good actions should be encouraged.

rotty23

Nov 9, 2005
Greer SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab quattro and AT Pro
Read a bit more carefully, and go back to his posts about the boxes he has already built. I know enough about Limitool that he isn't going to beg anyone for funds to do something. He's actually struggling over whether to accept donations from "ORGANIZATIONS" to build more toy boxes for disadvantaged kids. They are offering, he is struggling with whether to take the offer.

He donated not only his time but paid out of his pocket to donate toy boxes to children.

I understand the rules here, but Brad isn't breaking them because he is neither directly or indirectly asking for monetary assistance ... although if you get too close while he's working you might get drafted to help with finishing.

Be well Terry.

Organizations don't do crap unless there is something in it for them...I personally would take personal donations because our hard earned money is given from the heart.....whereas I believe corporate money has strings attached...Just my opinion. Happy Easter to all

Phil

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry, I agree with SusanMN's post #8, What I read was Limitool was "offered" donations from other Forum members, but "Declined" those offers. Just sounds to me like a good guy trying to do a good thing, and not asking for anything other than advice.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry, I agree with SusanMN's post #8, What I read was Limitool was "offered" donations from other Forum members, but "Declined" those offers. Just sounds to me like a good guy trying to do a good thing, and not asking for anything other than advice.
Ok, guys (and gals) I get the message. But my message has been turned around to sound as if I don't condone what Limitool is doing. I encourage L to do his fundraising. I would also say he should take any and all contributions. I'm sure he will get more out to where it will do good than the average fundraiser, which I believe is only 10%. My only message was that his post may be in contradiction to forum rules. I would ask that anyone who wishes to further the debate with me to send me a PM, before this turns into a spitting contest. Take care. TTC

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Brad.
I only offer from my perspective ( note my clean hands..).
Having met you helps to stand back and look at your project.

Again ,only opinion.
What you did was honor loved ones in an active ,constructive manner. That alone ( and much of the beginning you were alone in the concept) met your objective ,sort of.

Now you are faced with continuing the gesture, should you choose ,and should you feel the results still meet your original goal or more importantly ,feeling.

IF it is something you would expand by taking requests,seeking input ,donations ect. and make commitments to others vs staying solo ( neither is required ,you did what you set out to do , maybe).
I would suggest forming a nonprofit. Or at least an account strictly for non labor funds towards project( s) with a charity as beneficiary should you cease project( s) or croak.

If you are providing all the labor , I'd be cautious to not let demand outstrip your usual " crafting" being enjoyable/ therapeutic / hello sawdust ,nice to see you , and instead make it a drudge , too much work waiting demand.

Were I handling donations for you there would be no commitment as to how many items would be produced.
One mishap ( not you,l.o.l..) and then what?
Then too ,you could work when the mood struck you ,rather than have to crank out more . Then more . And more.

A charity named to receive the account should you cease could relieve concerns of donors ,and maybe some of yours.
If allowing donations and continuing /expanding your project is what YOU feel is the way to go.

Where do you want to go with what you started?
Keep it limited to you and a dozen boxes a year or expand your production, or free source information to others under the names or initials of your loved ones to duplicate your efforts among other wood butchers , err ,craftsmen/ woman,youth groups ect.?
Even if only ( only!) providing kits to assemble and finish were sourced from your production. How many groups from the homeless to troubled youth ,to society's elite , could work together for a good cause that leaves them feeling they did something good? All with an honored memory attached.

The personal touch would be lost...or would it?

Last edited:

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are legitimate in what you do and committed to the mission of its intent, then you should accept all means that comes your way to further that intent. Do not deny the good in others that want to be a part of that which you and others do to make life better but can do nothing other than give a few dollars.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread