Need some help with settings please?

Scooter429

Apr 14, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I don't have much experience with metal detectors and thought maybe someone could help me with some settings?

I am buying a house that was an old farm house and has nails scattered all over the driveway. I bought a magnet with wheels which worked great and collected lots of nails and screws. But i want to make sure i'm getting them all, so i borrowed a metal detector from a friend who had this one given to him. He hasn't used it alot, therefore he doesn't know much about the settings. I used it last weekend and was getting readings in places i saw nothing on the surface. Obviously something down further. Now i might be interested someday in finding whats down there, but for now i just want to be able to drive in the driveway without getting a flat.

The detector i borrowed is a White's DFX Spectrum E-Series. I have the manual for it, and it can also be found here: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/860827/Whites-Dfx.html?page=22

I really don't have a lot of time to play with it, and i really don't understand alot of the terminology. All i want to do right now is set the sensitivity to where it will only locate items down to an inch or so. Would that be the AC or DC sensitivity? What is the difference in the two?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm not a big fan of flat tires.... Thanks a bunch!!

Scott

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Bounty Hunter Platinum (back up)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My suggestion would be to get a large and powerful magnet on a stick to sweep your driveway with.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

Scooter429

Apr 14, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, I have done that. And it worked well. But i figured if there is a nail or something laying under a rock or two, it's not going to pick it up.

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My apologies. I accidentally scrolled passed the part where you said you did it. Doh!

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not that familiar with the DFX but you do have a feature on it that allows you to reject or accept targets. You need to read that section of the manual. Gather a sample of what you want to find, wave it over the coil and accept it rejecting everything else. You will find that the nails you want to find will fall in a narrow numerical band. If you set the machine up properly, don't forget to ground balance, you should be able to tune it so it will only find the nail your looking for.

Last edited:

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does that model have a depth indicator?

Top Member Reactions