Preserving my coil wire

Deep Seeker

Oct 6, 2003
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab XS-2a Pro, Excal II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello everyone. I have two detectors. The rubber/synthetic sheath containing the wires running from my control box to the coil on one of the detectors has cracked and split. I can wrap it back up with electrical tape, but has anyone encountered this and used a different way of repair? Also, I'd like to try to avoid this from happening on my other detector. Is there a lube or protectant that anyone has been using which will keep that sheath from weathering and cracking? Thanks for any guidance.

victhedog

Jun 24, 2008
Stroudsburg Monroe co. PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Specra V3I, Whites Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW how old is coil?
a have a few coils that are older 10-15 years still in great shape
what are you cleaning them with?

OP
OP
Deep Seeker

Deep Seeker

Oct 6, 2003
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab XS-2a Pro, Excal II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The coil is from 2002. I rinse the coil and end unit down with tap water after each use. The coil is fine. The strand of wires coming out of the coil are enclosed within a sheath. That sheathing is splitting and cracking away ion areas.

Beezly

Mar 20, 2017
Finger Lakes, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold,
BH Land Ranger Pro,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Minelab Equinox 900,
Whites TRX,
Minelab ProFind 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought some liquid electric tape from my local NAPA for occasional use at work. It gets painted on, just a small can with a brush built into the lid. It works well for cracked wire insulation on vehicle electronics where cutting the wire isn't a good idea and there isn't any corrosion in the wire. I've found multiple coats is best since its runny and goes on thin. It stays flexible and should work for a coil wire. I'm sure hardware stores would have it also.

I would be certain there is no corrosion or moisture in the crack before using, wouldn't want to seal any moisture in the wire. :thumbsup:

Silicone paste, like Sylglide, Novaguard, or 3M, will keep the sheath hydrated and in good shape. Just wipe it on and wipe it off.

Last edited:

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Instead of washing your equipment, wipe it down with a cloth then use car wax/polish everywhere. Lay your cables out flat, dampen a rag with polish and pull the cable through. I use that stuff in the orange bottle. Been around for years and it works very well for me. Whatever polish you use make sure it blocks UV rays. Keeping a good coat of polish on your gear will protect it from dirt sticking, water will run off and the sun won't be as nasty on plastic and vinyl coatings. I have machines from the 1970's I still use regularly. They look new with original coils and cable. Try it, you'll like it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions