NEVER HAVE I HATED A RODENT MORE!!! Stupid Coin Looting Mice!!!!

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I had a lot of coppers soaking in mineral oil mixed with olive oil in my basement, in empty exposed pudding cups (super bad idea not having a lid). Last year I noticed that my cups got knocked over and there were mouse droppings everywhere. I picked up some coins from the table and put the coins in a sealed jar. I set snap traps and killed probably 15 mice, now the traps haven't been triggered for a year. Little did I know those mice stole some coins. Today I finally took the coins out of the olive oil and noticed I was missing a portion of coins. I checked in my coin album just in case I put them there, nope. I looked in the basement and to my surprise saw one copper 10 feet away from the where the table was, I ended up finding a total of 3 coppers. A Connecticut copper, a 1794 liberty cap, and an 1803 copper (not one of my EF-AU ones which were in my coin album, but a lower grade one). We are moving this year and I am guessing there are some more coppers under and behind stuff. I wasn't very through in searching for them, only spending five minutes. I am going to write down which ones I am missing, then spend huge amounts of time looking for them once the basement is empty. I just hope that those disgusting disease ridden things didn't drag any into the wall. I was really mad when I realized that my first copper was missing! My 1723 Hibernia! My favorite find ever, what really got my in to colonial relic hunting. My only guess is that the coins tasted like olive oil and they tried to drag them off. Mice and rodents are so gross, probably carrying many diseases! I washed each coin thoroughly now, and removed all trace of olive oil and mouse. At least my basement has been mouse free for at least a year now.

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow thats a first. Ive never heard of anything like it! grab your pinpointer and find that Hibernia!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have three cats. One is a 28 pound Maine Coon that's 40 inches long. Best mouser God ever made. Mice even put a flyer out to stay away from here as there be monsters around! He might consider ridding you of the mice.

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
You insulted my trained mice...

Lol! Actually, I have had pet mice and even the sweetest hairless rat ever. Domestic rodents can be really nice pets, wild ones can be bad pests though. :laughing7:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
See if the Roy D Mercer navy recruiter prank comes up..
Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

SteveOrygun

Apr 15, 2017
Orygunistan
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro Born 4/17..
Fisher CZ3d W/Nasa Tom tune!
Whites V3i.... WOW!!😎
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lol! Actually, I have had pet mice and even the sweetest hairless rat ever. Domestic rodents can be really nice pets, wild ones can be bad pests though. :laughing7:

Um,NO.

FFFPatriot

Feb 21, 2017
Montana
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II, 4 Kidde brand smoke detectors, and 1 carbon monoxide detector I bought from Home Depot (can't remember the brand).
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Someday, maybe many, many years from now when your place gets remodeled or mowed down, some other lucky guy might find those coins again. Pass the thrill on!

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a few really clever mice here that steal dog food. I have watched the dogs just stare at them while they run off, and they are too smart for the traps. I'm kinda thinking about buying a habitrail cage and just making pets out of them since they are eating off my dime anyway

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeeze........ Just when you thought you've heard it all about other detectorists invading your favorite parks! Now you've got mice sniping your finds in your home!?!?! Next thing you know we'll be seeing roaches running around with pinpointers! Man we can never catch a break..........

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Ken that's funny but agonizing at the same time! Lol Where you moving too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am moving elsewhere in NH to a 1770's farm house with a lot of land. I hope that the mice there are more polite.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll take mice over cats any day. I've rescued dozens of mice from my cats over the years and never been bitten by one. I just scoop them up and take them outside. They seem to know I'm not going to hurt them and never give me any grief.

On the other hand, I've been bitten by cats at least 5 times over the years! One even required 7 stitches to close. That was a really ugly incident. Bit my leg and then tore open my finger when I reached down to pry him off my leg. Bad idea to try and break up a tomcat fight!

Moral of the story? Don't fear creatures that really aren't out to harm you and don't trust creatures that appear to be your friend! LOL!

DSC06727.JPG

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You violated the first rule! Don't stick anything you value into a cat fight. We had two in the neighborhood that'd go at it once or twice a week. Neighbor tried to break it up by stepping between them to scoot one away. Everyone was glad the one didn't get any higher than his knees! They were so focused on each other spritzing them with vinegar didn't break their concentration! The whole fight they'd be spinning in a ball like a whirling dervish in the cartoons with little tufts of hair floating up (words can't describe it). All of a sudden they'd stop and do the stare off thing again. A new neighbor moved into the neighborhood and promptly violated the first rule. Off to the ER for stiches. Somehow he got a scratch about 1/16 inch from his eye. These two fighters went at this for about two years. A firecracker thrown close from a safe distance out of their path of retreat works good & is pretty safe.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hate those little buggers.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the good news is copper is toxic so if they gnaw em....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread