Need some information, please help.

Turqui8868

Apr 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, first, allow me to congratulate this site, its amazing.
Im a newbie and need some info, i wanted to buy a metal drtector for some time but dont know exctly what to get.
Basically i will like to be able to search for any kind of objects, coins, gold,silver, platinum, iron, vintage items, glass bottles, anything metal related etc. Also will like to get something that reaches deep, It can be around 12 inches if possible.
Also will like to be able to use it on many surfaces such grass, concrete, land fields, sand.
Will like to go walking by rivers, walking on the beach and if it could get submerged a couple inches in the sea will be amazing.
What do you recommend that is reliable and inexpensive?
I was looking at a sale on the BOUNTY HUNTER PLATINUM METAL DETECTOR.
Any inputs?sugestions?
Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1326.PNG
    IMG_1326.PNG
    110.8 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to tnet
There are many great detectors out there I love the AT PRO with iron audio good discrimination, good depth notch discrimination great all around detector and water proof also. Easy to use.;. Good luck to ya!!!!!!! This is a great hobby!!!!!!

TRanegar36

May 1, 2012
IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Pro-Pointer AT, Stealth 720i Hybrid
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You pay for what you get in this hobby. I personally would never get a bounty hunter- if you're on a budge look into the Garrett Ace series or Tesoro. If money is not an issue and you're willing to invest time and learn the machine... Minelab CTX3030.

Hope this helps. Have a good weekend

TRanegar36

May 1, 2012
IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also, go to KellyCo.com to buy your detector. Trust me

At PRO is a good machine too btw. I've found 3 gold coins with it--- no bs

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum.

First I don't know of any metal detector that will locate bottles, but you could be onto something there. LOL.......

The Bounty Hunter is a good introductory machine, but what you decide to buy should be determined by what you want to spend, and how long you want to spend detecting?

There are machines that will allow you to search in water (but that is only the coil, not the control box), there are some machines that won't even allow you to get the coil wet, and other machines that will allow you to stick the entire system (control box and all) under water up to 10'.

All machines will allow you do find targets that are 12" or more in the ground, but that of course depends on the size of object you are looking for.

If you are doing relic hunting and want to find large iron objects, then there is a plethora of detectors you can get. If you are looking to find coins that deep, then your field gets narrowed down some.

As mentioned the AT Pro is a fantastic machine that will cover off just about everything you've hinted at, but the cost could be more than what you want to spend.

Talk to some of our sponsors here, and see what sort of packages you can get.

There are also other good entry level machines that don't cost quite as much as the Garrett AT Pro, but again it all depends on your end objective.

Plan on spending more than what you think, as there are other things you will need to go along with your detector.

Pin pointers, diggers, pouches, coil covers if your machine doesn't have one, batteries, divorce lawyer (if you really like this hobby, you may find yourself out of the house more often than you think), knee pads, sand scoops, water scoops, and a whole host of other things that you will realize you need.

Search around the forum for other posts related to "What machine should I get", and you will find loads of answers.

I hope I've helped and not hurt.

Ask more questions when you're ready.

OP
OP
T

Turqui8868

Apr 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the answers, so far THE AT PRO will be my pick, anyway im not going to jump since is a big price difference than the bounty hunter platinum but since they can be financed, i will probably get the AT PRO. Thanks.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome and One consideration to think about is whether those "beaches" you want to wade are on salt water or fresh. Some detectors are better than others depending what you're going to use it on.

Good luck in your search.

TRanegar36

May 1, 2012
IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the answers, so far THE AT PRO will be my pick, anyway im not going to jump since is a big price difference than the bounty hunter platinum but since they can be financed, i will probably get the AT PRO. Thanks.

You won't regret it. Yeah- it's an investment, but if you work hard and dig a lot of holes.... you will find the good stuff. A good piece of advice for you- if the signal is repeatable, dig it. Don't worry about the #'s.

What state are you in?

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the AT Pro is out of your price range, then perhaps something like the Garrett Ace 250 would be more affordable for you?

Here is a link to the machine on the Garrett website.

Garrett® ACE? 250 Metal Detector | Manufacturer

You could do an online search to get budget pricing on this machine.......in fact I wouldn't be surprised if you could pick it up at Wally World, but give our sponsors here a go.

The coil can be submerged into water, but the control box on this one can't be.

So that just means you hunt up to your knees.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the site. I wish my detector would pick up glass bottles, haven't seen that setting though.

OP
OP
T

Turqui8868

Apr 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again. Im in FL.
I found the AT PRO for $552 or 60 bucks a month wich is not bad. Just to make sure this is the one:
IMG_1327.PNG

Diamondman307

Sep 20, 2016
Stockton, CA
Detector(s) used
Pioneer EX, Garrett GP Pointer, Bounty Hunter Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, the AT Pro is a good machine. I got a great deal for it that was $552 with other items on metaldetector.com, and just got it a couple of weeks ago. Good luck.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Talk to Keith at Fort Bedford detectors. He will give you great prices and excellent customer service. He has gone above & beyond for my friends.

One choice that you'll never need to upgrade. XP Deus. Buy one used if necessary.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kellyco also does financing. I got my AT PRO a few years ago they have never charged for repairs and have replaced a coil two pin pointers and headphones for free with fast return!!! Mine was a used demo model also. I put a lot of hours on my PRO and its awesome!!!!@!@

OP
OP
T

Turqui8868

Apr 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again, A2COINS you have mentioned repairs, well how often these machines break or ask for repairs? I might be traveling out of the country and will like to get something reliable.
Thanks.

Last edited:

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again, A2COINS you have mentioned repairs, well how often these machines break or ask for repairs? I might be traveling out of the country and will like to get something reliable.
Thanks.

I've had my AT Pro for 5+ years and use it pretty regularly without issues at all.

This is a solid machine, with a great reputation so I wouldn't hesitate to buy it or recommend it to anyone.

AT Pro tip........if you do go with this, start off learning this machine in the Pro Mode Zero and not the Standard Coin mode.

We can talk more about that later if you decided to get one.

Don't buy one off of EBay. I know that the prices are attractive there, but there are so many fakes you just never know.

Besides the price difference from used to new isn't that great, so why bother.

If you are going to do water hunting as you suggested, then consider getting a Garrett Carrot (their orange pinpointer), this type of device is practically a must in the metal detecting world.

It will help find your target in the hole (trust me, small targets are hard to see when they are the same colour as the dirt), these are waterproof (up to 10'), but more importantly you can use it in the rain.

Also if you are going to use your AT Pro for actual water hunting, make sure that you get the waterproof headphones too. You don't want to drop your others in the water, as they will be toast.

The Garrett devices require the use of a Garrett adapter (built in to their cords so don't worry) on their headphones, so if you ruin a set it's not like you can plug in any headphones.

I've had both the standard set and the water proof ones for 5+ years now, and have had zero issues with either of them.

Good luck

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't believe the prices that are advertised. Ever. No dealer is allowed to advertise his true price. Contact several dealers separately and compare apples to apples. Don't get confused with trashy throw in items that you don't need or wont hold up to normal use.

And seriously, don't buy until you can afford to. Debt for nonessential purchases is slavery.

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't believe the prices that are advertised. Ever. No dealer is allowed to advertise his true price. Contact several dealers separately and compare apples to apples. Don't get confused with trashy throw in items that you don't need or wont hold up to normal use.

And seriously, don't buy until you can afford to. Debt for nonessential purchases is slavery.

That is some sage advice right there........although at least this isn't the most expensive toy around.

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I saw in your original post that you wanted to detect on Concrete. I don't think that will be possible due to the rebar in it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread