What do you guys do with your junk finds?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is that a joke?

No. He asked about "junk" finds. Now, if he had asked about odd, interesting bits of whatzits or paraphernalia - they are all along the floor edges of my garage and out in the barn. Too gone to use but too interesting to toss away.

ALL of the chain I use when logging with my tractor was found with my detector(s). That's not junk. That's treasure.

Last edited:
OP
OP
darktower007

darktower007

Feb 21, 2017
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus/Vaquero/At Max/fisher f70/carrot pen pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the responses folks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JccEldreth

Feb 8, 2017
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus, Pro Pointer II and I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's all treasure! If it makes a beep, you must keep. Tee hee hee...:tongue3:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I toss all trash, and to me that means rusty old pocket knives, horse shoes, rusted through horse bits, pitted zinc toys, and many other things some people think are cool and keep. Lead goes into my melting pot for fishing sinkers. I mean, I like to think I am treasure hunting, so if there is no monetary value I toss most all trash. I do keep brass bells, colonial buttons and such, but if I had kept everything I have found in 45+ years of detecting I would be inundated with all the garbage I dig.

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would recycle my trash but in Utah recycling programs are terrible and I have very little space to store it.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
gunsil - I also recast the slugs and balls/bullets I find. Most are my own but I came across a deer-slug mine on my property where an old tree trunk had been just beyond a pull-off and must have pulled 300 slugs out of that small spot. Also a gozillion .22 LR bullets.

Surprisingly some of the balls I shot are completely covered in white patina in under 10 years. Must be something in our soil.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gunsil - I also recast the slugs and balls/bullets I find. Most are my own but I came across a deer-slug mine on my property where an old tree trunk had been just beyond a pull-off and must have pulled 300 slugs out of that small spot. Also a gozillion .22 LR bullets.

Surprisingly some of the balls I shot are completely covered in white patina in under 10 years. Must be something in our soil.

I have found some of my old muzzle loader balls and bullets too, and also find that they get the white patina in under twenty years. I haven't shot much for a while, but I used an old home made mutton tallow/beeswax formula for covering the chambers on revolvers and greasing minies and round ball patches, I don't know if that has contributed to the white oxidation of the ones left in the ground. A lot of folks on these forums seem to think that it takes over a hundred years for that white oxidation coating to form, but it surely does not, at least in many areas if not all.

Regards, Gene

Fonz

Nov 5, 2013
Louisiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I save it all in a chest and when it is full, I'll go bury it in the woods somewhere. >:D

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Brass and copper I keep in a 5 gallon pail until it is full. I also keep lead. Pull tabs I save for a contest. Last year I found 1351 of the critters.

Steel and iron I toss.

beendetected

May 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread