How many "Good Years" do YOU have left ?

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; Me, In my Family most of the guys are dead by 65. I am 59 +. Doing the fast math that leaves me a Good 6 years left. I plan to dig every dang one of them. I hope the day I die is the day they have to pry a metal detector from my cold, clammy hands.!!! I mean that literally. In the meantime I have 49 YEARS of SOLID detecting IN Field under my belt. I want to pass the 50 year Mark this November 17th. Then I will be happy no matter what comes my way. PEACE:RONB.

My chosen way to go. If I know I'm gonna die any day now I'd like to take my detector, a whole bottle of Percocets and a bottle of James Jameson Whiskey. Go up to the top of Dorchester Heights where GW drove the British from Boston, dig the grounds, then go up to the top of the Monument 60' up with a GREAT 360 Degree View of Boston and let it RIP ok. PEACE:RONB :leprechaun-hat::leprechaun-hat::leprechaun-hat: :usflag:

Last edited:

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Who did you make mad to be sentenced to move to DC ... like going to prison.

Go detect around all the monuments!!!

Enjoy it - the history would be a blast to study.

It was by choice, but only for a couple years.

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
Hmm, that's a good question. I've been given last rites twice, broken just about every bone, some more then once, some more then once at the same time.
Had a massive heart attack in 2013, and I'm still here. I thank the big guy every morning for letting me see another day. Figure he's got something for me to do, but yet hasn't decided what it is, so he keeps on giving me Mulligans when I manage to nearly do myself in.

It's either that, or what's left is so beat up and used up he's got no use for it so he let's me hang around.

Either way I'm good for now at least.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
In not old, but I'm not a kid either. This question makes me think of past regrets and future hopes. I'm hoping for as many years as I can get. It's very sad though knowing my son will never experience the freedoms I have in our country in the future.

Sent from a spun out toilet paper tube (one ply)!!!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
You know, we're here discussing our longevity. We're missing out on several legends here:

Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp

He's in his mid 90's by now, still occasionally posting, and is one of the very few living veterans of Guadalcanal.

Frankn

He's in his mid 80's or so now and still travels the nation in his camper.

And then of course we're so very fond of our walking encyclopedia of so many things. Don, aka Mackaydon - who is of unknown age except he was here when the forests petrified!

We're worried about our longevity? Not! But if we do age past expectations - let's make it count such that some remember us :)

Last edited:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deep, my Dad was there with Tropi-Tramp (as I lovingly call him), I can't say there "with with" him, but, was there.
He was only 16 or 17 yrs old (born 1926), no wonder he hated Asians all his life.....
(It was said my Dad was one hell of a hand to hand combat Marine..... hey, he survived).
He's been passed 23 yrs, now.....

(come to think of it, my uncle, my Moms brother, 95, I believe he was a Doughboy. Actually ran into a cousin, on the other side of the planet, when in WWII).

I should be more concerned of taking care of my own self better, no time to worry about dying,
I'm busy trying to live.

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Dad went to enlist with all his buddies and found he had TB. So he spent the war in a hospital, really, really bothered him, lost his best friend in Europe. His brother Kermit landed at Omaha and fought all the way to Berlin - got the Silver Star, and then there was Dad sitting in a sanitarium.

That affected Dad's life, and it certainly affected mine through interaction.

So, to escape the world I faced, I enlisted to just get the heck out of where I was.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, my uncle may have been with your Dad at the TB hospital, not "with with" him, but, he was there, too.
In the '50's him and his wife(my aunt) got it, my Mom and Dad sold/closed their truck stop and restaurant, moved to Florida, where he signed over his 3 daughters, his home, his car, and bank account to my Mom.
Five years they were in the TB hospital. he's still alive, but at 95 he is starting to get frail.
Once told me, my Mom could do no wrong in his eyes..... (it's not everyone, will lay their life down for you.....)

He did bag and drag 2 deer this season, though, not too shabby....... :laughing7:

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am 75 years old, and I like to live as long that I am in little pains. Serious pains, it is time for the good Lord to call me home.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; I firmly believe that Life is meant to be LIVED, Not ENDURED. For me I REFUSE to EXIST. Are you LIVING or EXISTING ??? If I know when I'm 65 I'm gonna be a vegetable for the remainder of my Life the all I can say is "Dorchester Heights Monument, Here I come." And go out with a BANG for sure.!!! PEACE:RONB

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How long do I have? I'm alive today and look forward to tomorrow. What more could a guy ask for?

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A case of beer every week and three home cook meals daily, and a good looking woman at home.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Lyrics to “You set the Scene” by Arthur Lee, A band called Love. 1967

This is the time and life that I am living
And I'll face each day with a smile
For the time that I've been given's such a little while
And the things that I must do consist of more than style
There are places that I am going

This is the only thing that I am sure of
And that's all that lives is gonna die
And there'll always be some people here to wonder why
And for every happy hello, there will be goodbye
There'll be time for you to put yourself on

Everything I've seen needs rearranging
And for anyone who thinks it's strange
Then you should be the first to want to make this change
And for everyone who thinks that life is just a game
Do you like the part you're playing

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who the heck knows, Im moving to DC from Europe in July.

Where in Europe do you live, and why on earth move to the zoo?

Not that DC isn't a nice place to visit, but there are so many more quiet places to go? LOL.......

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
All of them that remain.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make today count, yesterday is gone, and tomorrow is promised to no one. I will be here as long as the good Lord allows...go'n for the gold!
The kids all have my instructions as to what i want done, no fighting.
Had to bury hubby in March but we knew what he wanted, so there were no questions only answers, and we still had to "insist" at the hospital.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

USMC Reaper

May 23, 2015
Abbeville, S.C.
Detector(s) used
MineLab CTX 3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All the good years are gone but the best are yet to come!!

Ooh Rah, Slay Bodies!!!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have maybe 5

Five years? Come on, you've got to fight to the bitter end!

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

Dylan Thomas

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread