Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
One thing that I have learned is that kids, especially the little ones really get into the metal detecting. I was at my son's new to them house and was going to metal detect the front yard. Immediately his two boys, Cooper 3 and Casin 2, were out to see what I was doing. So I unplugged the ear buds so that they could hear as I swung the AT GOLD. They were very excited to hear what it had to say and quickly got under foot. I finally hit a decent signal that I was pretty sure was a zinc penny and so I got down and began to dig. As I located the penny with the pin pointer, Cooper grabbed my digging tool and tried to help me dig deeper. Casin, who is actually bigger than his older brother decided that he wanted the tool and the fight was on. After securing the tool, I told them that I had found some treasure and showed them the penny in the hole. Well, I had to find another penny right then so I pulled one out of my pocket and acted like I was getting another one out of the hole, disaster avoided. After just a few digs, I realized that I should have brought a couple of plastic digging tools for them. They were very intent on helping me dig and were downright dangerous about it. I quickly had them saying "foiled again" as they followed me along. I was busy digging up a quarter when I started hearing my detector making all kinds of racket. Yep, Casin was fine tuning it for me. The saving grace was when I began digging up the worms, suddenly worms were more important and I was back to my hunt. Now I always make sure that I have some safer plastic tools for them to help me with. The good thing was the AT GOLD was pretty easy to reset and get back to my hunting. Of course both boys quickly lost their treasure and I had to re-find them for them. The boys were sad to see me leave, they had a lot of fun digging in the dirt and catching bugs. I had to promise that I would do it again with them. An easy promise to keep.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh yes!
Those little fingers helping vs a digging tool can turn into a game of mumbly peg if you are not prepared.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
you have to enjoy them while you can, they sometimes turn into know it all teenagers that resent you. right now they want to do everything you do, well as long as they are focused on you. I had to get them to quit reaching in my trash bag and pulling it all out. the best part was listening to them trying to tell their parents what we were doing as they ran up to show the "valuable" junk we found. gotta love their excitement as you uncover another penny.

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job, PAPA! My grandson is all about it when I get mine out too. (He's 12). When he was about 8, we were in the yard, letting him handle the detector, and unbeknownst to him, his PaPa was tossing dimes and quarters for him to find!
We'll probably never tell him the truth...:laughing7:

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
when the younger one gets really excited, I can't understand what he is saying. the best part is when they see that it is slaw and they look up to me with big smiles and say "foiled again!" Then they run to a new spot and tell me to do it here. I just wish I had their energy and mobility. LOL

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's great. I've taken the grandkids along as I'm lookin for potential diggers, and that works for a little while, but without fail it turns into they wanna run the detector and guess who's doin the digging?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread