metal detecting band, we have 180 parks.

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HI Brian,
I have just been notified by Heritage Planning Services that metal detecting in Parks will no longer be authorized by the City citing the Ontario Heritage Act.
We realize your organization does not represent all metal detectors in the City but are hoping you can help spread this information to your members and others
Your group has always been respectful in pursuing your hobby and I want to thank you for seeking proper authorization over the years
Thanks very much and happy hunting!
Dianna

raw

Dianna Clarke
Manager of Parks Operations
Parks and Community Sports
City of London

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a bunch of hosers. They recognize you have been respectful and have done no harm - yet they ban it anyway.

Gotta love the "Happy Hunting" part she threw in there. :icon_scratch:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... thank you for seeking proper authorization over the years....

This says to me, that the less desk-bound pencil pushers think of us, the better. Why was their "authorization" needed in past years anyhow ? If it wasn't dis-allowed, then ... what was the problem ? Evidently by this being something on their radars all the time in need of their "princely attention", then ... of course, the day comes when someone dreams up that it falls afoul of "heritage" or "culture".

Can you fill us in a little as to the background there as to why there was even contact with them, in the first place ?

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
That's 180 parks full of glass, sharp metal, needles and razor blades that won't be picked up at no cost to the parks department... do the math.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't want to stir the pot but sometimes it may be necessary in order to get someone's attention. If they are singling out just one form of recreation, then I would say that their actions are discriminatory. I know for a fact that Park's Departments across the world spend the bulk of their restoration funds on reseeding and/or resurfacing lawns and playing fields due to damage caused by other forms of recreation.
I would never suggest that the Parks Department stop any other forms of recreation that is currently allowed in their parks. I would however point out that your form of recreation is being singled out. That is Discrimination. If the Parks Administration is saying that it is because of the recovery and removal of Articles of Historical Significance, ask them to prove it. I would also contact a legal aid society in the event the parks department is receiving any kind of public funds while discriminating against park patrons.

Last edited:

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, against the wind, discrimination is a key word here in this country and got me thinking......
What someone in Onterrible needs to do, is contact Dianne again and tell her that some Syrian refugees are interested in detecting the local parks.......
Go ahead, delete my post for being politically incorrect. I'm so sick of this country!
:BangHead:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, against the wind, discrimination is a key word here in this country and got me thinking......
What someone in Onterrible needs to do, is contact Dianne again and tell her that some Syrian refugees are interested in detecting the local parks.......
Go ahead, delete my post for being politically incorrect. I'm so sick of this country!
:BangHead:

It's not the "Country."
It is usually an individual or a few individuals who will make a case for like minded anti - detectorists. False accusations and statements will snowball if nobody stands up and says, "That's not true ."
I have been involved with supporting successful efforts made by The Task Force for Metal Detecting Rights Foundation. There are diplomatic ways to deal with people who are ignorant of what we do. When that doesn't work, then there are legal avenues that we can take. Education rather than Confrontation should always be the first path. There are a lot of ignorant people out there and we shouldn't allow them to draw us into their approach to resolving issues.

Last edited:

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree against the wind and was inserting some frustration on who is getting all the attention here in this country.
Seriously though, this is bad news. Why? Because Dianne basically said that her department (parks and community sports) is no longer authorized by the Ontario Heritage Act.
The Heritage act is a government entity created by desperate archaeologists who have no funding to do anything but stop people like us from detecting places that have been detected for decades.
There's now too much red tape for Dianne to do anything to help and the mountain to climb for average people is way too steep.
Each province has their own Heritage Act and is quite fascist when you look at it closely. Everything in the ground belongs to the Crown, whether is is on property you own or not!
I'm not sure how the Ontario Heritage Act is able to govern the city of London's parks. There must be enough historic parks for them to have authority? :dontknow:
I'll sign a petition if one arises. Sorry to hear Brian C.

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just read the O.P. again and see that it was the "Heritage Planning Services" that cited the Ontario Heritage Act.
Great, another entity with the word "Heritage" in the title. :BangHead:

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well now you guys (and gals) are officially pirates! Wear it like a badge of honor and don't stop digging. I've never been told to stop detecting in a public park. Once an officer was called to come investigate why I was "burying things in the park" after a neighbor called in. He was super cool and even seemed interested in my finds. He merely suggested I stop since it was getting dark in a bad neighborhood and I clarified that I would return another day. In parks I just act like I own the place, sport my bag of trash that I have dug/ picked up and find most people are genuinely interested and just want to talk.
I realize a ban is a blow to our freedom that shouldn't be taken lightly and we don't like to feel like what we are doing is some nefarious criminal activity but we are adaptable and inventive. Best of luck and keep swinging.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... damage caused by other forms of recreation........

.... ... point out that your form of recreation is being singled out. That is Discrimination.......

Hey there A.T.W.: No, our form of recreation is not "being singled out". Those other forms of recreation (cleats, persons driving tent pegs into the ground, somoene digging earthworms for bait, persons who allow their dogs to dig a hole, etc...) are ALSO disallowed. All they needed to have done, is to have walked in to Dianna at the parks dept and say: "Hi, can I damage the park please ?" Then they too would get told "no". And then they too could start forums lamenting their lack of freedoms. Shame on them for not asking "can I?", eh ?

But this ("damage" or "holes") doesn't seem to be the reason alluded to by the park's dept. according to the O.P. It seems to be along the lines of cultural heritage. Because (gasp) you might find something 50+ yr. old

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
..... Dianne basically said that her department (parks and community sports) is no longer authorized by the Ontario Heritage Act.
The Heritage act is a government entity created by desperate archaeologists who have no funding to do anything but stop people like us from detecting places that have been detected for decades.....

"No longer authorized" ? I bet the heritage folk NEVER "authorized" it. Even @ the "decades ago" during the time you allude to that md'ing had been a non-issue. If someone had gone to the heritage people back in 1995, asking "Can I remove artifacts for my own fun and enjoyment from the park?" back in 1995, I GUARANTEE you they'd have said "no", even back then.

So what/who the heck put it on their radars for their princely approval NOW ?

And seriously now: Those archaeologist minded folk in a heritage dept, are probably 1 in 500,000 in that given area. How many staff-archaeologists could possibly be employed there, that would give a hoot about this ? ONE ? And does anyone think he was really driving by one day, saw an md'r, and thought to himself "aha ! We need to regulate this! Because that md'r *might* find an old coin " ? No. Instead what most likely happens, is this "pressing question" get pushed around desk-to-desk in hierarchy , till it lands on his desk . And quite frankly, perhaps he'd have never given the matter a moment's thought, till his signature is needed on something.

Sometimes I think we md'rs can be our own worst enemies :(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread