Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This business of growing older can be challenging, especially when we are forced to realize that we can't do something anymore or that we need help with something. For a year or more, I had been trying to get my wife to get her hearing checked but she would always say that her hearing was fine. Now she would have someone behind her trying to get her attention and she wouldn't hear them at all. On top of that, she works with the Special Needs kids at the high school. So one fine rainy day, I am waiting for a package to get in, it is something that I can not afford to get wet. We are also supposed to be in town a little after five to meet some friends for meal out. My wife gets home about four and lugs all of her things in as I stand at the door watching through the glass storm door for the Fed Ex man. My wife looked beat as she began unloading but I was busy watching and hoping the Fed Ex guy would hurry up and get here. Suddenly my wife tells me that I am rushing her. I didn't know what she was talking about and asked "What?" "You are rushing me!" she answers a little angrily. Confused, I finally realized that she thought that I was standing at the door waiting for her so that we could go to town. "I'm waiting on Fed Ex," I answered as I looked out. Suddenly she very angrily yelled, "I HEARD WHAT YOU CALLED ME! Now I am really confused, what in the world could I have possibly done? So I asked what exactly did I call her. "YOU CALLED ME A FAT ASS!" she answered angrily. "What? No I didn't, I said that I was waiting on Fed Ex, remember that thing I ordered that is supposed to be delivered today? Well it is raining and I was hoping it would get here before we left." She lowered her head and said, "Okay, I'll get my hearing checked." Yep, she's got hearing aids now. Life is so much better now that our communication is better.

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey dirtlooter!! Better hide behind one of those Mena mountains today!! Hear Hard weather is heading your way!! Anyway, GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

cajamk

Jan 5, 2017
Northern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for a great laugh on a crappy day for me! My boyfriend's hearing is also starting to fail. I have to tell him this story!

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
yes,the weather is lousy. was raining bucket loads and it sounds like artillery rounds going off so I am stuck inside. My wife sings in a choir too, so the hearing aids have really helped. and yep, I have them too. now she is able to hear those kids a lot better too. our kids sometimes walk by and quietly say Fed Ex to see if she can hear them. always worth a good laugh. Great to hear from you VERDE.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
of course she still has selective hearing, I think she only hears what she wants to hear. I can tell her two or three things and not remember them but if I say the word "Chocolate," she is all ears.

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can never hear the dishwasher or the washing machine finish it's cycle, but I've never missed a beep when the oven tells me the cookies are ready! LOL.........

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Time for me to get my Fed Ex out the door to do a little metal detecting!

Cute story!

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dirtlooter, I enjoyed the post. I am on the other end of the spectrum here. My hearing is beginning to fail and get some worse. To make matters worse, my wife and daughter both talk low and soft and there are many times that they are asked to repeat what they have just said. I'm glad that your wife's situation has improved with the hearing aids. If I may ask, how much difference in her hearing has she noticed with the hearing aids? My wife and daughter are after me to check on getting some aids, but I'm not so sure. My last check up I was declared legally deaf. I'm just not too sure if hearing aids would make an improvement. I am a retired firefighter and most all of us have suffered some sort of hearing loss through the years. My wife claims that I too have Selective hearing. Sometimes being hard of hearing has it's advantages. If you happen to hear something you don't want to hear.......you simply don't hear it.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
devldog, big difference for her. I and others can tell when she doesn't have them in. I have hearing aids too but my hearing loss is at different frequency than hers. She couldn't believe what she was missing. we are outdoors a lot and she is hearing a more lively outdoors now. Bluejays can get pretty loud and annoying. She still talks really loud on the phone when she doesn't have them in. I'm quite sure that for you, all would benefit from them.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The wife forgot her hearing aids and went to work, really noticed the difference now of not having them in. Had to bring them to her so she could hear the kids better. I am more dependent on my hearing aids now, I find that the TV is turned down a lot lower when I wer mine LOL.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember this clip from "Christmas Vacation"?

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To funny DL ! I'm gonna get my Fed Ex out of this chair, and go get my wife so she can read your post. (Yes, she could use some hearing aids before I go deaf with the TV so loud) ! Thanks for the laugh.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread