Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been calling some privately owned places, such as Churches, Historic Inns, etc. Today I called two places, one person was rather nice and told me they are going to ask their board of trusties and call me back within two days. The second place I asked was nice at first, but the second I said the word, "metal detect", I was told a sharp, "No" and then they hung up. What is your "permission speech" that you use to get permission to metal detect at places?

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go in person is the #1 rule for me on any in-town owner.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes! Go in person is a very strong rule number one. When you go to the barber, food store, hardware store, ANYPLACE, talk up detecting. you will get many people to tell you they detect, or someone they know does. you will get some who will mention an item lost and maybe you could help them. Have a simple business card made up (nothing fancy-don't make them think you are "for hire") for those promising contacts that may require more time to develop. Try and get a phone number so you can talk to this person at length. Personal contact will get others to talk about the activity and some will help you develop that permission you are looking for. TTC

Last edited:

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
In person. Business cards work wonders. Well manicured lawn, take a screwdriver and explain your removal techniques with it. Works most the time.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes! Go in person is a very strong rule number one. When you go to the barber, food store, hardware store, ANYPLACE, talk up detecting. you will get many people to tell you they detect, or someone they know does. you will get some who will mention an item lost and maybe you could help them. Have a simple business card made up (nothing fancy-don't make them think you are "for hire") for those promising contacts that may require more time to develop. Try and get a phone number so you can talk to this person at length. Personal contact will get others to talk about the activity and some will help you develop that permission you are looking for. TTC

Excellent advice which I'm going to take

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
"Calling" is a big mistake. Because, think of it: What do YOU do when phone solicitors call ? You hang up, right ? And sure, I know you're not "selling" anything. But all of us (you included) get so sick of phone solicitors, that anything that even hints at it, will get the automatic hang up or no.

Do as scuba says and show up in person, with a big smile. And "catch them on their porch" (so to speak), not knock on doors, if you can. Because knocking on doors will get you cast into a stereotype of door-to-door solicitors. And, as you know, they get very little traction either.

And join every single historical society and history museums in your area. Docent (which is giving time to man desks, sort papers, etc...) . That will open up lots of doors, and carte-blanche history resources.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread